General world politics chat

See, that was your mistake. You have standards.

I keep saying to people who sing the praises of Churchill he was a drunken twat as are at least 1/2 our politians over 45 years old!

1 Like

Since when does going to a party automatically equal taking illegal drugs?

4 Likes

No curry or bacon butties involved so there must have been something else.
Oh! someone saw her stuff something up her fanny whilst she was in the toilet!

That’s a novel way to ingest drugs .Are you sure it wasn’t something of a sexual nature ?

She has broken her own covid19 regulations before so of course they are going to find the next thing to pin her down. This is how politics is now, not doing the best for the people, but to bring down the opposition. So I don’t know whether she is a good politician or not, but while it is not wrong to party and have drinks because she is a person who is entitled to that after all, she needs to be mindful that there are simply some situations or environment that make it very easy for those who are intent to bring her down to paint a negative picture of her or even plant evidences on her.

1 Like

Just celebrating Finland being accepted into NATO i guess.

What I like most about this story is her response to it:

“I danced, sang, and partied - perfectly legal things. And I’ve never been in a situation where I’ve seen or known of others [using drugs].”
“I have a family life, I have a work life and I have free time to spend with my friends. Pretty much the same as many people my age.”
"I am going to be exactly the same person as I have been until now and I hope that it will be accepted."

:+1:

7 Likes

The difference is that nobody else is Prime Minister. Getting off your tits is not a good look when you’re supposed to be running a country.

1 Like

Except that’s not what she was talking about, is she? She was talking about a healthy balance between family, work, and friends. Don’t see anything wrong with that…

3 Likes

I think that the idea that politicians should be behaving differently than the rest of the population is one of the problems in nowaday’s society. It creates a rift between a so-called elite (which in fact is anything but) and the rest.

I prefer to have a good PM in charge who admits going out with friends occasionally, and having a drink with them, rather than one who hides his/her shortcomings and tries to give a perfect image of himself. It’s hypocrisy, and everyone will know it anyway.

Imo, honesty should be the first and foremost important quality for any top politician. The best way to achieve it is to hide nothing and to assume what you are and do. The electors will then know who you are, and make an informed choice at the next election.

3 Likes

So you wouldn’t be opposed to politicians working from home in just their underwear and effing and blinding during interviews?

I would love to see those things happen but, normally, certain levels of decorum are required.

1 Like

Wasn’t that the point she was making though?

To be honest, no?

I’ve no problems with a bit of decorum, and of course, in an ideal world, politicians are meant to set an example to the rest of the population. But as this isn’t the ideal world, and the current levels of distrust between most populations and their ‘elites’ is in a catastrophical state in most countries, I think that honesty is really massively important.

I find also interesting that it’s Finland we are talking about here, a country with possibly the highest level of trust between population and government.

1 Like

Yup, there are mean idiots everywhere.

1 Like

Is taking cannabis legal in Finland ?

I believe her when she said that she wasn’t taking drugs but in the change that she does test positive ? If it’s something legal in Finland , why should she be prosecuted ?

It looks like someone in their mid 30s having fun with their friends (with rather questionable dance moves but still )

I don’t think as a PM, you cannot live as normal as possible but unfortunately surely you cannot expect to run a country and still expect life to be the same. Just like a footballer, just like a celebrity, they wish thst they can go to a local mcd and not be recognized or harassed for a photo but that unfortunately will not be in reality. So unfortunately for her, generally she does have to be mindful, not necessarily in this particular instance but in general.

I don’t think the opposition would ever claim this. The point is more to jus plant seeds about undermining her credibility with the voting public. Very little of politics is about policy debate. It’s about framing a conversation to create the lens through which people will interpret news stories. The more the Finish opposition can paint her as someone more interested in partying than running the country, the first minor slip up will lead a portion of the country to think “if only she was more interested in doing her job rather than going out and partying”

1 Like

Finland borders Russia.

Expect undermining of democracy there in every way possible.

1 Like