General world politics chat

@Magnus

Dont really know where to put this, but it’s a fascinating read about uncovering the identity of one of the GRU’s Illegals

3 Likes

Hmmm, so her fake passport was within the range that was also used by the 2 that tried to assasinate Sergie and Yulia Skripal, and she fled Naples back to Moscow the day after their identities were published.

I might be reading more into the story, but it sounds like she was tipped off, and that the 2 from Salsbury were given up by Russian Intelligence

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-09-01/china-locks-down-western-megacity-chengdu-as-covid-zero-rolls-on?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_content=business&utm_source=twitter&cmpid=socialflow-twitter-business

The losses just keep piling on

Jebuz.

I think I’d be soiling myself for weeks on end if that were me

For members in Australia, how significant is the Indigenous Voice referendum? Is it just an exercise for show or will it make a practical difference to how Indigenous Australians are treated? I have often heard by way of news or articles on how the Indigenous Australians are marginalized or discriminated against so would love to hear more about this as it came up in my news feed

1 Like

There have been quite a lot of these attempts done by the govt in the past. I’m interested to know as well

The proposal for a ‘voice’ has been kept vague - the idea essentially is that this voice will somehow represent Aboriginal people and will have to be consulted on any legislation that may impact them (essentially all legislation). The voice will operate outside of the existing bicameral federal legislature (House of Reps and Senate) and will operate only on an ‘advisory’ basis with no official constitutional mechanism to force legislation to be changed - unlike the existing houses of parliament. It’s definitely a situation where the devil is in the detail but the new labor prime minister is wedded to the idea of getting this voice referendum up first before then working on the specifics. I think this is the wrong approach and we are starting to get some dissenting views about the value and risk of having a poorly defined ‘advisory’ body constitutionally added to a system that already relies heavily on constitutional conventions.

Ok I guess that the intention is right but its really the details that will determine whether it is just a political show or will really make a difference to the treatment of Indigenous Australians?

One more step to US recognising Taliban.

India and Japan have either set up their embassies or are on their way to do so. Natural that US follows. The need to counter BRI be immense now

1 Like

Seems unlikely

Just when you think Pakistan politicians can’t get any dumber
 There is now a pre Im the Dim and post Im the dim

Probably true but atleast the ukranians showed more gumption than the Afghans who literally bent over and allowed Taliban to waltz into the city

I think that’s a very poor reading of the situation in Afghanistan. Ukraine has a single nationhood to rally around, Afghanistan not so much.

3 Likes

I don’t get the comparison. Taliban are a domestic group, albeit with outside support. The Russians are foreign invaders.
A closer equivalent would be the Russian occupation of Afghanistan in the eighties.

3 Likes

Just saying that the Afghan women have more grit than the men.

The Afghani govt had more military firepower with the weapons left over by the US. To just surrender Kabul without even a fight is fucked up

I dare say if the Afghani women had been trained as an army instead , Taliban wouldn’t even have taken over

You’re completely missing the point. It’s not about the grit. The Taliban, like it or not, have actual support in many parts of Afghanistan. Now we can debate why this is the case, but the reality is there wasn’t much will to resist them. A not-insubstantial number of people thought their lives were better off or at least equal to being under the Taliban.

3 Likes