General world politics chat

And this is one of the rare times when the Congress has rallied behind the BJP alliance as well. Not that they had any other option. But when the opposition is in the same page with the ruling party(Given the bitterness between the two factions , that speaks a lot)

Looks like the US has put its weight behind Canada’s allegations.

Nice. Maybe will stop Modi from thinking he’s untouchable.

But they will give him an out though. Canada to get a rap to ensure the khalistani elements are reined in as well.

The US is the most likely source of the intercepts that will be the undeniable evidence.

1 Like

US will use this to ensure India gets more into their sphere of influence and at this point, they are well within their rights

I don’t agree with that end result considering I’d personally like India to not get involved with either factions but Modi has to learn that actions do have consequences if atleast in the foreign affairs department. It will only increase his standings in the domestic front though

I am not as optimistic as you, if optimism is the right term. I don’t think this kind of disequilibrium resolves itself so easily. The US is not a reliable entity in its current state of governance, and even if it was I believe there are legitimate and important reasons why India should not toe the American line. American policy always needs to be moderated by the considerations of regional partners, and in the current geopolitical (im-)balance, having an India that is somehow seen as truant in American policy circles just makes the whole neighbourhood that little bit more dangerous. It is difficult not to see this crisis as working to China’s advantage.

1 Like

I do think India needs to act in it’s own self interest. But ordering a hit on a terrorist in foreign soil (in a fwiw friendly nation) is overstepping the bounds.

India or more specifically this modi govt needs to be reined in.

It’s just that Trudeau is going to come off it looking even more bad (than it’s possible) , Canada being made to look like a lightweight.

Irrespective of the consequences India might or might not face , Canada’s got some soul searching to do. It’s not like this guy is a kashoggi.

Well China did do their foreign interference shit as well in Canada.

Yes, that is another element of the conversation that is probably not resonating in India. The Trudeau government has been pilloried for nearly a year for an understated and passive response to Chinese interference, which has probably created a compulsion to deal with this somewhat more forcefully.

Like I mentioned before , this particular issue is something which is dragging on from decades and is probably inevitable. The india Canada standoff that is and not this particular killing.

This extra judicial and illegal act is probably the result of the decades of deadlock in Canada not doing enough on its domestic front allowing khalistanis free reign.

It’s resonated with India and probably the reason why the modi govt felt emboldened to make this move.

Just curious, why would India or the rest of the world have to take Canada or USA ‘evidence’ as absolute truth? Why would India insistence that they have nothing to do with it not valid but because USA and Canada have ‘evidence’, India will now have to give in to some leverage that these 2 are seeking?

It’s quite possibly real SIGINT that they’ve had. Probably spied on the diplomats , hacked their computers etc. The 5 eyes and all that

Again I have no position for or against because there are just no concrete evidence for either. The 5 eyes…the member countries, I am not sure it’s intelligence is unbiased and fair.

That can be a valid point , but at this time , the countries are desperately trying to get India on their side. They won’t take these steps unless they are confident on the Intelligence. They are likely not revealing the evidence thus far to the public to give Modi an out. Also , they’ll be using this intelligence to attempt to persuade/coerce.

The other partners will pressurize Canada to rein in those Khalistani elements as well though if only to allow India to maintain some semblance of dignity/pride. It’s another thing whether Canada does take action (I believe they should but they won’t - Not while Trudeau and Jagmeet are present in power)

I suspect they are also not revealing the intercepts because that will more or less be another scandal. If it becomes publicly acknowledged that the US is intercepting Indian diplomatic communications, I would think Indian relations with the US will be significantly damaged (note - assuming the intercepts are US, same point applies though somewhat different if it was Australia or the UK).

1 Like

Ooooops…

More than anything, a stupid mistake like this shows just how tired the Trudeau government is. The smart people who stepped into PMO and the Cabinet offices in 2015 are all gone now, cashed in their connections for more lucrative establishment jobs. So are the people who replaced them, and indeed the ones who replaced them. We are now seeing the Trudeau fan D-listers who are taking the jobs hoping to get just enough time before the next election for it to be a positive career step. They are inexperienced, underqualified, often not particularly smart, and not focused on the actual problems of government.

It’s surprising for me to see a Canadian govt look this inept. Even Trump for all his idiocies never made blunders like this.

Don’t have any idea of the prime ministers of Canada before Harper but Harper government was pretty okay i felt(atleast from the perspective of foriegn relations). Incredible how low this government has slunk too.

In a technical sense, the mistake was in the House Speaker’s office, not PMO. But a good PMO would have done some due diligence on this - particularly where it also involves a foreign head of state. Heads should roll. It is a bad enough fuck-up in its own right, but the really damaging thing here is the assist to Russian propaganda.

I think it was something that the Zelensky team proposed and Canada didn’t do any due diligence on this. Heads should roll on both sides as the optics for both Ukraine and Canada aren’t great here.

Imagine giving a standing ovation to Hunka :dizzy_face: