General world politics chat

Distasteful though it may be, I have a hard time figuring out on what basis we could have ā€˜cracked downā€™ on a diorama of an assassination that occurred 35 years ago. I donā€™t think hate speech laws would have worked, and it certainly wasnā€™t criminal. Incitement charges would really have to be tied to a very specific criminal action. The posters with Indian diplomats did indeed cross a line (although no threat was directly stated) and that was dealt with.

I have a feeling that the broader arc of the column is correct though, the Sikh radicals here are invariably first generation immigrants. The issue is irrelevant at best for the next generation. That surely would suggest it will fade away unless it acquires new momentum in India.

Almost certainly a planned act by the Indian Govt Agencies. Iā€™ll condemn it for what it is. An extra judicial killing which goes entirely against the previous history of India.

But heā€™s been allowed to live in Canada despite Interpol red notices. Also arrived in Canada with a false passport and his initial asylum pleas were denied. The Interpol Red Notices were pre-dating him getting Canadian citizenship. Why would he be getting Canadian Citizenship considering that his actions should exclude him getting that ? There are some severe questions to answer there.

An RCN does not do what that story claims it does. There is no obligation on that level of Interpol alert, certainly not to arrest and deport. Any action taken would require Canadian criminal proceedings, at the very least to establish a basis to extradite.

I have to agree about the fact that he was granted residency and then citizenship being extremely problematic. That just absolutely reeks of political string-pulling, presumably with an eye on those tightly contested seats in the Lower Mainland in that sequence of elections 2004-2006-2008.

This was quite simply an avoidable conflict for both the sides. Had Ottawa shown more interest in responding to the various RCNā€™s and assisted India , The relationship wouldnā€™t have become the shitshow that it is now. Same goes for India btw , You donā€™t want a country taking matters into their own hands.

I donā€™t see the relationship between the two countries getting better anytime soon. Which is a shame considering that thereā€™s quite a bit of trade and mutual benefit there.

India can make a case that by refusing actions against terrorists who have had a hand in funding terrorist attacks in Indian soil , Canada is turning a blind eye to terrorism and infact abetting it. This comes directly under FATF

By not taking action against Khalistaniā€™s in Canada who are funding attacks in India , This directly gets Canada in a mess. One that is difficult for Ottawa to explain away

The more Trudeau continues to try and get Indian govt to admit guilt , the more India can in turn say that. Again an entirely fucking idiotic shitshow

A couple of points hitting the press now:

i) India refused to co-operate with a Canadian request in August, made during a visit by the national security advisor.

ii) One of the Five Eyes partners provided Canada with sigint, including Indian government communications. Which one is an interesting question.

That second point is explosive. Everyone knows that everyone is spying, but this would mean a public acknowledgement that someone has been intercepting Indian government communications. It also means there is hard evidence, and it is just a matter of when it comes out.

India can make a case, and has been asked to do so - namely, provide evidence to support charges. Notably, Nijjar has never been the subject of an extradition hearing. A simple assertion just isnā€™t enough, even if repeated.

Like I said shitshow throughout between two countries that really ought to have better relations.

hydrocarbon scum lets the mask slip

On the lists of football stadiums I would like to visit/see a match at, anything in Saudi Arabia is way down the list.
Actually not on the list at all.

2 Likes

Sikh radicals not doing a great job of reading the room, in terms of Canadian sentiment. We will stand up to India to defend their rights to free speech and free associationā€¦but start pointing a threatening finger at the Hindu community and things can change fast.

1 Like

Take a couple of them into preventive custody , until the whole thing blows over.

Would do two things , keeps them from escalating matters and also sends out the message that the hate speech would not be tolerated.

1 Like

If anything , this killing (even if the Indian govt officially denies it) has raised Modiā€™s profile in India even more. As if the open worship of him amongst most Indians isnā€™t disconcerting enough. Screw you Trudeau.

Yeah, there is a certain humour to what the Indian official position has been through out, ā€˜we didnā€™t do it, and he deserved itā€™. Not quite at the level of a Russian window accident, but not really worried about being seen as the perpetrators. Quite a number of third-party observers are noting this is a significant departure from past Indian practice.

Nijjar isnā€™t really a hill for Trudeau to die on. This isnā€™t going to affect India one bit and infact raise Modiā€™s profile more which makes it a shame for people like me who would want modi to be taken down a leg or two if not more.

If Trudeau really had to pick his battles , it should have been over someone whoā€™s wellā€¦ Not a criminal and a terrorist. Even if India ā€œofficiallyā€ denies the killing , they will be getting the praise for doing the necessary evil stuff.

Trudeau has been even weakened after this latest debacle. Iā€™m just not sure whether this was the right step to take for him. There could have been a time to raise this issue later not when heā€™s at his weakest.

India will continue putting forward the evidence of Nijjar and his terrorist activities.

I can bet that both the leaders will be given a mild rap on the knuckles, India would shrug it off. Trudeau canā€™t afford to.

I used to think leaders of countries canā€™t come more idiotic than some of the indian ones , Trump etc and I donā€™t really like commenting on the leadership aspects of countries which do not concern me.

But Trudeau is clueless. Most people want him gone not because heā€™s shown himself to be light weight in foreign matters. They want him gone because of other domestic related reasons. That heā€™s proceeded to piss over on relationships with other countries simply adds.

I think what this misunderstands is that Trudeau didnā€™t really pick this battle. The public announcement was a least-worst choice, they had lost control of the timing - which to my mind is really quite damning. Just ineffective.

2 Likes

Canadians in general donā€™t vote on the basis of foreign policy, though more and more we might need to start. In the end, Trudeau just isnā€™t a particularly serious person. He has been handed virtually everything in his life by dint of his birth, and was ushered into the Prime Ministerā€™s Office almost by default.

1 Like

The point is that Canada characterized him as a Sikh Preacher. You donā€™t make him look like a Sikh preacher. The whole story behind him needs to be brought into perspective as well. By characterizing him as a sikh preacher (The implication is that Canada believes heā€™s just that, a peaceful Sikh preacher), Trudeau risks turning him into a martyr and that to me speaks of trying to woo votes in the process as well.

Indiaā€™s shared info on Nijjar before to Canada , All Canada has done is put him into a no-fly list.