General world politics chat

I suspect there isn’t a significant war in history where the major combatants don’t have a great deal to answer for, but Limiescouse’s point was not regarding events during the war so much as the generation preceding it. The Soviet state was brutal to Ukraine, particularly under Stalin. By 1941, many Ukrainians (and other non-Russian minorities) saw the Germans as a liberating force.

I’m not disagreeing with that. Just that , you’ve got to look at how brutal the allies were to their colonies as well.

That’s why i’m at pains to say “the bigger evil”

Holocaust is a huge crime against humanity. So are any other oppressions as well. I deplore the holocaust for what is. I still see denial on the bengal famine (3m deaths isn’t something to not talk about)

Ukranians , were they repressed by the stalinist regime in USSR ? Well Sure they were. They were also Ukranians who fought in the Soviet army against Russians.

A Current War Collides With the Past: Remnants of World War II in Ukraine - The New York Times.

So. I mean. So what. It’s not as if there aren’t far right nazi movements right now as well.

What is your point, really?

so the point is that there are far right nazi elements now ? I assume that’s the basic point.

The same as it’s been from the beginning of Russia’s invasion.

i.e. It’s all the fault of NATO and the West.

am glad my family got out in the early 1920’s

3 Likes

if you cannot tell the difference between society today, and the mindset of 85 years ago where the Nazi ideology would be allowed to rent MSG and host a rally for 100,000…

Wow man. take a look around at what’s happening.

And that’s the thing isn’t it. Seeking to justify what Putin is doing today by dredging up historical equivalences is the stuff of Kremlin propagandists. It should have no place on here.

2 Likes

I don’t think that was Sithbare’s intent. Optics of society have changed immensely. Those who possess great riches and power have mastered the art of subterfuge (in Western society), and use guys like Trump to cause great distractions while they quietly go about their business.

not like the era of our grandfathers, where there was very few media and broadcasts who informed the public. Today’s difference is, the government has a tighter grasp on what hits the airwaves and they have monetized it to such an extent that most journalists are more concerned about being FIRST and being FACTUAL.

** edit **

Nothing surprised me more than walking through downtown Manhattan and seeing the blunt exhibitions of the rich and powerful on open display in that city. Not from those wandering the streets, but as we were there during the final days of the UN general assembly. Our hotel was awash with police colors for three days and we had to show our ID to get within 50ft of our hotel at one point.

Safest place in the world, in that moment…was our hotel room sandwiched between four floors of secret service and delegates.

Then, there’s the buildings and architecture. Seeing massive amounts of generational wealth on open display, with homeless sleeping in their shadows. very disturbing.

2 Likes

Have to actually tip my hat to this guy. Isn’t talking the usual political bullshit, just shooting from the hip. Yeah, we’re doing this and we’re going to keep doing it. Whilst I don’t like it, he’s at least almost honest about their actions.

It’s easy to be “honest” when you’re a multi billionaire and pulling all the strings.

2 Likes

https://x.com/dril/status/831805955402776576?s=20

“You do not gotta hand it to them”

Thoughts @cynicaloldgit ?

I’m not handing anything to them, I’m specifically (and I’m pretty sure you can read) saying that at least they seem to be honest about their intentions. Tipping one’s hat is handing nothing.

Bad day?

The discussion has already happened above.

Seems like a tap on the wrist for both.