Georginio WIJNALDUM: 2020/21

A decent player with his best years behind him. Hopefully Fsg replace him with someone better.

3 Likes

5 Likes

He didnā€™t score the goal that secured Madrid.

True otherwise.

1 Like

The Netherlands lost 4-2 to Turkey. Wijnaldum and Kabak played 90 minutes, with no reports of them being injured.

Did not see the match but reading true reports on Dutch news sites: Wijnaldum did one of his for us well known disappearing acts in away matches.

Yeah heā€™s oddly taking a beating on the socials from Dutch supporters. Specifically him, no one else in the side.

I will explain it when I visit Berlin and we are having a pint of German beer, itā€™s a long story.

1 Like

Kabak makes sense, he is a defender, if he had come off weā€™d probably be concerned, Gini was on a yellow and 3-0 he had 5 subs and kept him on even though he didnā€™t play well.

It really makes little sense from a football perspective, a second yellow and he loses him for both matches when the game looks gone and he isnā€™t playing well.

Now youā€™ve got me curious. How about for those of us unlikely to visit Berlin. Donā€™t worry, you can just pm me and keep @Neukƶlln in dark until you visit Berlin :wink:

Jk :yum:

2 Likes

I watched the first half. Wijnaldum wasnā€™t awful. Turkey packed their box and the Dutch struggled to get any chances.

Howā€™s it going with Gini furthest forward of the 3 midfielders?

:joy:

1 Like

I donā€™t think you are the most objective source when it comes to Liverpool players. :sunglasses: :joy:

He was horrible, invisible is what the newspapers write he got a 4 but most of them got that, only de Ligt got a 6.5.

Somehow people in the Netherlands think they have a team that can finish in the top 4 this summer and they are dreaming, besides van Dijk, de Ligt and de Jong, who are world-class nobody stick out except for being a total arrogant asshole without any manners, yes Iā€™m talking about Depay.

Wijnaldum can be useful on a good day but the rest is mediocre at best.

Luckily my ancestors came from Madeira Portugal so I have a team to support. :kissing:

Definitely not a 4.

Wijnaldum played 80 minutes tonight, guess de Boer expects a big ā€œthank youā€ from Klopp that it was not 95 minutes. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

He did that on Wednesday considering it had been fruitless after about 70 minutes odd he kept him on.

3 Likes

Is he still captain?

Currently at 142 games without an assist from open play for Liverpool.

:joy:

Iā€™m sorry but I hate seeing him as captain.

Heā€™s not committed to the club, heā€™s running his contract down but itā€™s more than that.

Heā€™s always been a passive player, he doesnā€™t change the game or play against the way the game is going. Thatā€™s fine when we are playing well and/or winning.

But heā€™s got no fire (except that one Barca performance when he played pissed off), drive, passion or leadership. Heā€™s so passive and limp.

When the shit hits the fan you need someone rounding up the troops and firing them up. He did a very good impersonation of a silent, human statue for one of their goals last night. I know heā€™s marking space ready for runners and thereā€™s only one of their players in the box but itā€™s the silence and lack of animation that annoys me.

He should be vocal and organising/encouraging the others. Henderson literally never shuts up no way heā€™s not yelling at Phillips to cut out the ball if heā€™s on the pitch.

3 Likes

Heā€™s passive in general on the ball and pretty overrated (still) in that aspect by so many fans. Heā€™s a ā€œfailedā€ attacking midfielder at the top level converted to a hard working central midfielder.

But one thing I could never question is his availability and commitment to the club. Him carrying the armband also doesnā€™t mean heā€™s the only captain out there.

We donā€™t have to go too far after a bad overall performance/result last night.

It looks like every player thread will get a similar post.

2 Likes

For me the problem is why is he wearing the arm band if he doesnā€™t have the capacity to step up and lead? It should mean something, it should inspire you to be moreā€¦

First half especially rather than being a calming influence on the game he was one of the worst culprits for giving the ball away (and with some really basic bad passes). He was part of one of the worst midfield performances in years, zero intensity, zero control, zero anything. It was terrible on every single element. Very lucky Keita was mariginally worse.

Not good enough and performances like last night shows a player slipping back into the ā€œghostā€ habits of the past and if it continues the right option is to let him leave.

3 Likes