Georginio WIJNALDUM: 2020/21

Lets just put it this way, if I have to choose between Gini and Suarez and Coutinho to place as a legend in this club, it would always be Gini. Winner, key contributor, humble and most importantly, respectful of our club and fans.

4 Likes

Seriously??? Dang :rofl:

You can have all the semantic arguments you want about what constitutes a legend, but…

Wijnaldum is a well liked player who was one of the most used ​players in arguably the greatest Liverpool side ever, and definitely the best Liverpool side for 30 years. He has a small handful of incredible Liverpool moments including 3 Champions League semi final goals, goals which were all crucial to making the final.

He wasn’t the best player in the side but he more than did his bit.

17 Likes

https://www.facebook.com/100044471134690/posts/324523972373305/?d=n

What an emotional rollercoaster the last few days have been. I’ve received so many great messages from fans, players and friends all over the world. Thank you all so much :heart::pray:t5: #YNWA

3 Likes

Titi Camara, loved him, but think he is on that list from a emotional/sentimental pov. I would have Gini over him, even though I like Titi more out of sentiment, however I believe those sentimental players would already be knocked off the list by your Torres, Suarez, Mo, Mane, VVD, and the such. (Just checked, some of those names are already on there).

What I really wanted to bring across is that the players on the top end of that list are legends, while Gini doesn’t fall into the legend category, and that in itself doesn’t take anything away from the player. It sort of feels like calling him a legend is watering down the actual (imo) legends. And btw, that list is far from perfect, or accurate, was just using it, trying to make a point.

Think he should be on comparable level to the likes of Alonso and Hamann. I know he’s part of the squad that won the title but the quality of his teammates versus the quality of Didi/Xabis teammates isn’t down to them personally. I’d say they are all good enough to be considered legends if they were at another club but LFC is special and our history is chock full if legendary figures. They are great servants of the club that had wonderful success with us and will always be well thought of (although Didi is doing his best to arsehole his way into changing that).

1 Like

Gini will be the guy who in 20 years the cool kids learning of the succesful sides of the recent past will remember as one of their favourites. This generation’s Terry Mac or Ray Kennedy.

5 Likes

So it really looks like Gini was being disingenuous and simply didn’t want to stay at liverpool.
Good luck at Barca Gini, I hope you have a better time than Phil!

4 Likes
1 Like

I can put together without any problem a video with 900.000 meaningless back passes.

2 Likes

all things considered, sad that he didn’t renew his contract at end of 2019 for a pay increase which would keep him here 2-3 more years. he’s been a workhorse of the highest calibre which is needed sometimes. everyone wants to see the razzle dazzle players, but you MUST have a true box-to-box in the midfield three. With Henderson’s increased injuries, Gini has become that much more valuable. Frees up the creative player (Thiago) and defensive mid (Fab) to do their things

Much maligned player, of the same mold as Lucas Leiva but could actually score the odd goal.

Will never forget 4-0 Barca at Anfield. LEGEND. I will miss him.

5 Likes

Nether will I as I have stated before, I will thank him for his two goals and with him the best, just think we can do better.

1 Like

I would have Gini above ALL these players listed here except maybe (Maybe!) Risse.

1 Like

Remember when Barca won 6 fucking titles in 2009 under Pep with 3 technical midfielders (Busquet - Xavi - Iniesta) (Busquet essentially pushed Yaya Toure out that year) -essentially 3 Thiago - and another CL/La Liga combo two seasons later.

Not having a workmanlike box-to-box MF is not the end of the world.

So we just need to sign two more Thiagos? Do they also have to be Alcantara or will a Silva or Motta do?:wink::rofl:

3 Likes

That was 12 years ago. He wouldn’t get away with it now, and he certainly wouldn’t in the Premier League.

Motta was underrated. :sunglasses:

1 Like

And so it begins:

Wijnaldum is still under contract with Liverpool for one month and will then leave on a free transfer after a five-year contract. Both parties discussed a contract extension for a long time, but did not come to an agreement. After being waved off at Anfield, Wijnaldum made a statement via social media. “I would have loved to play at Liverpool for years to come, but unfortunately it all turned out differently” and “I will look back at the story and how it all went: the fans deserve to know how it went,” he said. he, among other things, know.

In conversation with the Algemeen Dagblad, he lifts a small corner of the veil. “It is not for nothing that I decided not to sign a new contract.” His teammates at Liverpool are already on top of the situation. “They completely understand me,” it sounds. “I’m going to explain that later, but it’s not that it just comes from me.”

2 Likes

Like I said, the hints and insinuations don’t sit well with me. Smacks of him wanting to have his cake and eat it.

6 Likes