Georginio WIJNALDUM: 2020/21

As much a legend as Whelan is.

2 Likes

During his five years at Liverpool Wijnaldum was injured for 72 days, missing a total of 11 games. Made of Steel. :muscle:

6 Likes

Ah fuck itā€™s a mistake to let him go.

Hope he does go abroad

Gini was a legendary player only in the sense of his part in the Champions League success but heā€™s not a ā€˜Liverpool Legendā€™

A great servant for the club, an integral part of the team for a number of years performing an unfashionable role with consistency and a smile on his face.

Letā€™s not put him in the same bracket as Kenny or Gerrard though.

4 Likes

I doubt anyone here is putting Gini ā€˜in the same bracket as Kenny or Gerrardā€™ but thereā€™s plenty of space in the room beneath them for other legends.

Gini played an integral part in 2 of the most satisfying and long-awaited successes in our history. I think it wonā€™t be an exaggeration to say those 2 triumphs (especially the first one!) would not have happened if not for him.

Our midfield is not designed to play flamboyantly and with style, and thatā€™s why many (especially non-fans of our club) feel that Gini is ā€˜boringā€™. But thatā€™s how our midfield is built - to win the ball, and feed it to our playmakers in front and on the flanks. It shouldnā€™t take away from the legendary achievement by Gini, and Hendo, and Fab.

Add on his incredible injury record during our run (especially compared to the other members of the squadā€¦ sad to say) and his place in history is assured. At least for me.

8 Likes

There are legends and there are legends and Iā€™m sure nobody is putting Gini in the same bracket as Stevie or Kenny.

But careful because somebody might ask how many league titles Gerrard has won.

Some will consider Xabi Alonso as a club legend and maybe some of the others who played at Istanbul.

Some will even consider Lucas a club legend (probably more of a cult hero or fan favorite) but Gini is not only a cult hero and fan favorite - he is a winner!!!

7 Likes

Yes there are Legends and legends, and Gini is a legend but not a Legend.

1 Like

Heā€™s on a Ronnie Whelan, Sammy Lee, Jimmy Case level of legendariness

5 Likes

We could have a whole thread on the definition of ā€œlegendā€ and who qualifies.

Gini was ever-present and integral to the 2 biggest trophies in club football. He will always have my affection and respect for that.

Of course, while American, my family lineage is Dutch so there is that bias as well.

1 Like

I know the noises from Gini that he wanted to stay but I wonder if heā€™s being slightly disingenuous. Iā€™m sure we would also have liked him to stay but we just couldnā€™t justify the total wage exposure he wanted. A 4-5 year deal on around 150k could be up near the 40m mark. I wonder if he rejected something like a 2-3 year deal closer to 100k (say 15m).

Now thereā€™s a big difference between the two figures and I understand Gini has been on an artificially low salary (as he rejected new deals previously) and may feel financial pressure to maximise his ā€˜last big paydayā€™ but really he hasnā€™t been pushed out.

Weā€™ll find out over the next 5 years whether we made the wrong call financially (which I think is quite possible) but Liverpool also need to consider the squad picture altogether and letting Gini go sends a message to others that they also canā€™t expect bumper contracts from us at 30 if they let their contract run down.

I think the Keita and Ox situations also hurt us here and hopefully we move even further towards incentivised contracts where players base wage when consistently unavailable isnā€™t so high that it makes replacements unaffordable.

2 Likes

In my view, he is a legend of the club. Not at the level of Kenny, Souness or Rush, but not every legend will be on equal footing. But he is still a legend

2 Likes

Officially he is still a Liverpool player for the next 37 days.

1 Like

Joe Gomez on Gini Wijnaldum :speaking_head:

"Itā€™s hard to put into words my gratitude to have had you as a team-mate but more than anything a brother.

"Youā€™re someone I look up to and learnt a great deal from, an amazing person with the cleanest heart.

ā€œThank you for everything broā€¦weā€™ll all miss you Giniā€ :heart:

9 Likes

2:10, no wonder that his last highlight in a Liverpool shirt is a shot that almost ended up in a throw in for Palace (the editor did well to hide that, showing it from a completely different angle, as well as cutting out the pass to Mane which also went out of play).

:joy:

Romano is unreliable when it comes to non-Italian football.

But you believe what he writes on KonatƩ? :rofl:

No, I donā€™t :expressionless:

1 Like

Legend? No.
Legendary things? Absolutely.
Legendary achievements? Without a doubt.
Does he make 100 players who shook the kop, non sentimental version? No.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know what you mean by non-sentimental versionā€™, but here are some of the luminaries who made the 100.

John Wark, Ɖrik Meijer, Nigel Clough, Nicholas Anelka, Momo Sissoko, Stan Collymore, Mark Walters, Nick Barmby, Michael Thomas, Patrick Berger, Ronnie Rosenthal, Peter Crouch, Paul Walsh, Djibril Cisse, Danny Murphy, Steve Finnan, John Arne Risse.

Iā€™d have Gini in my all time Liverpool 100 before all them, and quite a few other on the list.

11 Likes