Georginio WIJNALDUM: 2020/21

Probably posted somewhere above? If not, here you go.

4 Likes

One of the best piano carriers the club has seen

11 Likes

Stop making things up, you are not very good at it.

1 Like

Loved it, Gini and Ox have the most amazing smiles

1 Like

Very well put. Very good player who was always available and played close to the limit of his ability very often. We have had more talented players who could not be arsed to do that so kudos to him. He has also scored some absolutely massive goals for us and nobody can deny heā€™s been a huge part in our recent success and he has my respect for that and I wish him well for his future adventures. Important player, great character in the team and also a good person.

I will however add that alot of his faults, and yes he has them, are being overlooked and forgotten in the glow of his glorious departure. Gini plays well when the team plays well and very rarely is it Gini playing well when the team is having a stinker. He was guilty of shrinking and becoming invisible all too often and also utterly refusing to take any responsibility by playing slowly, backwards, sideways and refusing to shoot or playing the pass through which was bemusing given that when he enabled beast mode in his brain he could be unplayable. So while he was consistent in his play, he was also inconsistent in reaching that real top tier of what he is capable of. I am aware that this may seem to be incompatible with what I have said in this post but to me, thatā€™s what Gini was as a player; a bit of a conundrum at times so Liverpool legend but also not quite.

Also, the manner of if his departure leaves me with the same rather at odds with each other views. Heā€™s basking in the adulation and why shouldnā€™t he as he has been a really important cog in a machine, he loves the Club and the fans love him so all is well in wishing him good but at the same time heā€™s saying he wants to stay but canā€™t, the fans will know the truth and hinting that his departure is all the feet of the Club. I am personally not comfortable with this because as usual itā€™s the Club that comes in for criticism as it does for everything regardless of whether the facts are known or not. Itā€™s common knowledge that he was offered a contract extension which he declined so the Club wanted him to stay however that is not the impression that is being given now and itā€™s not like the Club is going to start getting into a ā€˜we said, he saidā€™ kind of thing to dispute that now are they? I think he and his PR have played a blinder in leaving his departure all at the feet of the Club thus leaving his standing with the fans untouched and unbesmirched so he can go off into the sunset without having to worry about being a maligned figure. It doesnā€™t sit well with me to be completely honest.

4 Likes

Happy Birthday @Flobs . Donā€™t get old, stay like Wijnaldum :blush::partying_face:

4 Likes

How anyone can state that this guy wonā€™t go down as a club legend is really beyond me. In five years, he has won every major trophy, including the elusive nr. 19. Always as a key member of the squad, and also providing key moments when needed, in key matches.

Of course heā€™s a legend, and thatā€™s exactly how heā€™ll forever be remembered by an immense majority of us.

7 Likes

Perfect reference, and never turns up late/injured/tired for work. He was always going to be a lightning rod for criticism when we not playing well.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting that Canucko.

Really a shame that Gini never got his shooting boots sorted - he should have scored at least twice as many goals for us. I wonder if playing a less tactically disciplined role will free him up and if he gets his shooting right weā€™ll see him post the goal numbers that it looks like he should have in him somewhere.

1 Like

Had a nightmare last night that he joinedā€¦ City.

Fuck imagine that

He has scored more frequently for the Netherlands so that is possible - role aside he has often seemed to hesitate when getting into the box for us so not sure how or if his game will change with another club.

1 Like

Loving those lyricsā€¦eat your heart out Bob Dylan

2 Likes

Mmmm the more thatā€™s being said in this the more obvious that Gini really wanted to stay.

Club needs to clear space on the wage budget for you know whoā€¦

2 Likes

Is Gini the first of our CL, WCC, PL winner to leave.

Dunno why but I have this horrible feeling about him going.

Maybes itā€™s because he is the first. Players have gone in the past and bar some absolute legends I havenā€™t felt this gutted about a player leaving in ages

4 Likes

Yes. And I completely agree. First of our serial winning core thatā€™s leaving. The first ā€œeraā€, if you like, is coming to a close. We are entering 2.0.

5 Likes

Voldemortā€¦

:flushed:

1 Like

Lallana, Lovren (and Sturridge but he did not win the PL with us) left too.

Lallana wasnā€™t playing as much as Gini but I would say that he had a similar standing in the team.

1 Like

Ah ye course forgot Lovren and Lallana.

I meant of our regulars though.

1 Like