Georginio WIJNALDUM: 2020/21

Trent will be in the squad (be ridiculous if he wasn’t)

Keita’s contract screwed up any chance of Liverpool being able to afford Gini’s contract expectations.

Ginis farewell message on Instagram

10 Likes
10 Likes

Wish him well, will not miss him, average at best.

2 Likes

Loved his effort and most of all his big beautiful smile all the best Gini

3 Likes

I did not expect to hear him say that he wanted to stay. If there’s is still something that can be done I hope the club can try and get it done, would love Gini to stay.

Good riddance!!!
Btw it’s my birthday and I’ll say what I want to. :stuck_out_tongue:

49 replies to catch up on you lot kidding me or what? :rofl:

1 Like

That average player was a clear starter for 5 years.

Won the league, CL, CWC, Supercup and reached two more European finals.

Respected and appreciated by everyone at the Club especially by Klopp. Wore the captains armband on many occasions.

Played for the ‘wrong’ Club in Holland (same for you with Kuyt) and that’s why you have been so negative towards him in all the years.

Sorry, but that’s just laughable.

14 Likes

Those were the worst occassions. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

It would be much more than a bonus for us to retain him after all of this just to see the @Flobs reaction; that would be exquisite.

7 Likes

I bet I can guess what those 49 replies say and they all begin with F**k O*f!

3 Likes

@Flobs had had a few ales :rofl:

Anyway, this is my take on the situation.

I think he is on about 30k a week or something like that. He has never had a contract extension or a renewal.

I think he would be looking for something like 200k a week for at least four years at this point, and the club aren’t willing to do that for a 30 year old.

Gini feels he deserves a big final payday, and the club feel a commitment of, what, £40 million for a player who is going to be declining at this point and they feel they can replace is not a sensible use of money.

It’s basically an impasse and a natural parting of the ways.

Or, you know, it might be that he’s shit and Klopp can’t wait to get rid, and he’s just played him almost every game for the last five years accidentally?

3 Likes

Not sure about this post-30 decline with Gini, has an air of Seedorf, Zanetti or Maldini about him. Think he will actually get better and not decline until 33 or past.

5 Likes

Yeah, but it’s still a gamble to put £40m commitment down on a lad who is at an age where players tend to start to decline. I really wouldn’t be surprised if the contract decision is actually being led by some of the sport science data, and the long term trend for Gini is saying ‘let him go’.

The other thing is that we’ve quite a few lads who are approaching or past thirty, and we do need to lower the age of the squad. Taking the 40 million that Gini wants and recycling this back into a younger player, isn’t a bad idea.

4 Likes

Yes it is an outside but not unheard of. As long as, whilst we rebuild and reinvest, we fck Keita off as well! Truth is we didnt want to let Gini go though, we made numerous offers. Its was all about money and cursed by years of his refusal to accept extensions. I agree i dont think he is in that world class top earner band, but he thinks he is!

2 Likes

I assume you’ve realised this the wrong thread, but why mention Emre?

2 Likes

Nice farewell, fully deserved.

Not a legend in my book, that would be more someone like Hendo, speaking of midfielders of last years at least. But he doesn’t need that bonus from me to admit that he was in the end a successful story with us.

Thanks for the effort, at least being ready all the time, even in the first two so-so seasons and then for his more important role in his last 3 years as a proper hard working midfielder.

Good luck. :clap:t4:

2 Likes

Definitely, alot of people underestimated the physical demands placed on the midfield trio the way Klopp’s system plays. Covering spaces from all over the field, lesser players would have injured themselves every other game but Gini was always running till the end and virtually never injured… probably maybe that is one consideration he had to lengthen his career? That at 30 and forward, if he continues this way, he might start having injuries (not sure, just a guess) but he is indeed a legend as Klopp describes.

3 Likes

This. Beautifully stated Livvy.

This one is a particular gut punch for me, Gini has always been one of my favorites. A true servant for the club. The guy did all the dirty work and did exactly what was asked of him by the manager, often at the expense of his own personal glory and statistics. Every time he was called upon, he was there for our club. Even when we had a full strength squad he often covered our back line, fullback to fullback and received no praise. His durability and availability was off the charts. Always a mainstay in our starting XI. We will miss Gini. We will see the squad transform and Gini leaving for me represents we are entering Klopp Era 2.0.

Love you Gini. In my heart forever a Liverpool legend.

6 Likes