Georginio WIJNALDUM: 2020/21

Who knows. What I can’t understand is why he needed to come out with the bs he has. Stay quiet Gini, it’s what you did so successfully off the pitch for 5 years!

Good luck wherever you go and I wish you every private happiness and satisfaction off the pitch but I hope (and expect) you’ll look back in hindsight and wish you’d stayed with us and became a double PL and CL winner alongside your countryman.

3 Likes

who knows?
However if it’s not absolute it doesn’t count. If a player is shit he’s shit at everything, if he is great he’s great at everything and Klopp is perfect or a complete disaster there’s just never any nuance. Soo frustrating. :cry:

1 Like

We should replace him with my father, i’ve never met him and so has been invisible to me my whole life, the similarities are quite remarkable.

4 Likes

1 It’s been widely reported that he’s been turning down deals for at least 2 years.

2 The clubs operating process is to extend deals when 3 years (earliest) to 18 months (latest) left on them. Why would there be any assumption that Gini has randomly been treated differently. Even Origi got the same treatment why would anyone believe a week in week out starter like Gini was treated differently?

3 Likes

You say that but I went to Brazil for 2 weeks and got only 5 days of sunshine, the rest was a bit like Manchester.

1 Like

I will always love Gini, but I don’t at all like this vague or passive/aggressive public innuendo. Even if there is substance to it just leave it in private.

The Boss treated him with the utmost respect picking him to start every match and his teammates showed him the same respect by picking him to wear the armband.

9 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YJ3BTKMILw

I’m guessing the guy in the orange jumper taught Gini the body movements which enabled him to hold onto the ball with five defenders around him…
Will miss seeing this guy keeping possession the way he did

2 Likes

Obviously his match (he only played 2nd half) vs Barca was his best and most remembered match he played for us. Besides his 2 goals, the work he had done in midfield so defines his skills and effort he gave for us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnceFltxMkY

2 Likes

:joy: :rofl: :rofl: I cannot imagine Brazil being cloudy. I have heard Sao Paulo is abit grey looking.

3 Likes

It was glorious once we got to Rio bar the day I left which I don’t think I’ve seen rain like that.

But yeah 4-5 days it was quite muggy not too bothersome, deffo several degrees warmer.

3 Likes

Can you believe in parts of southern Brazil it actually snows???

Okay now, back to Wijnaldum :blush:

1 Like

Thank you for some stellar service and helping us win some great trophies. Hope you are always remembered fondly for what you achieved here and good luck with the rest of your career (except in matches against us).

2 Likes

Cheers Gini!

Best of luck as PSG and if you could do us a favour and put a good word in Kylian’s ear that would be sweet

1 Like

Confirmed by the BBC:

Good luck, Gini.

2 Likes

Was he the one who played the most minutes for us in the last 5 years?

1 Like

Good for Gini and wish him nothing but the best. I think he was a valuable contributor over his years here, primarily in terms of maintaining possession, his durability, and his role as an excellent teammate, leader, and ambassador for the club. His performance against Barca in the second leg will always be legendary.

2 Likes

I don’t know, but it wouldn’t surprise me. He was a machine for us all along, and we’ll need to replace his reliability, energy and industry in midfield. Not sure it can be done from within, so a new arrival is probably on the cards there.

2 Likes

That honor goes to Bobby Firmino, Si senor :blush:

16/17 17/18 18/19 19/20 20/21 Total
Roberto Firmino 3,463 4,188 3,406 3,921 3,372 18,350
Georginio Wijnaldum 3,338 3,600 3,705 3,674 3,922 18,239
Sadio Mané 2,427 3,480 4,309 3,720 3,719 17,655
Jordan Henderson 2,355 3,308 2,811 3,167 2,114 13,755
James Milner 3,437 2,787 2,836 1,708 1,752 12,520
12 Likes

Are those the Top5?

Still crazy.

Also remarkable that he played his most minutes in one season in his last when it was clear he is going to leave at the end of it and could have ‘rested’ himself a bit for the EUROs.

2 Likes

Yes, and, no. :blush: Robertson and Salah actually has more minutes than Henderson and Milner, but they came here a season later. I tabulated players in last five seasons with us.

2 Likes