Georginio WIJNALDUM: 2020/21

For me, the front 3 is the “crazy” bit. The way they were/are consistent and injury-free, that is really rare to see. Even to have a pair of wingers/wide forwards doing it (last ones I can remember were, I don’t know, Robben and Ribery?), but to have 3 forward players doing that, amazing.

And yeah, one of the few things you could never question Gini is that he was almost always fit and professional. The side didn’t miss him that much when Ox had a little period before Kiev until he got injured against Roma. I sense he would’ve possibly/probably (ability to hurt Real in our forward transition) started the final if he was fit.

4 Likes

Some would argue that he did. :wink:

5 Likes

Bet his ‘distance covered’ stats say different.

1 Like

He ran a long way to avoid the ball. :wink:

4 Likes

Surprised Salah isn’t in that list!

2 Likes

Salah and Robertson both got more minutes than Henderson and Milner but they joined in 2017/18 season.

No gripes with Gini. Was an excellent player for us.
But, for all his cryptic messages about why he had to leave and he will let the fans know blah blah. By joining PSG he has already let us know his reason for leaving.

5 Likes

That post answers a lot of questions here on TAN

1 Like

He’s finally found what he wanted all along.

2 Likes

ou’ve been an inspiration to me these last five years and a fantastic boss. Thanks for always believing in me and supporting me in the amazing way you did! Wishing you a happy birthday and all the best 👊🏾❤️#JürgenKlopp

4 Likes

Nothing too exciting in this to be honest.

1 Like

Nothing exciting at all, I don’t know why Gini was hinting at something else.

1 Like

Was he though? could have just been poor communicate or interpretation. I never read anything into it. For me it was always that he had chosen a certain course.

2 Likes

He wanted a last big pay day. He got it by moving to a sports washing club.

1 Like

If I have read it correctly He was happy to stay but had acheived the goals planned out when he signed so felt a new challange was needed. If that is the case then fine but not sure why the need to hint at some other issue?

Just come out and say, you’ve acheived what you set out to acheive and seek a new challange - fans would have been entirely accepting had he said that from day 1

4 Likes

Yes, I just feel he and the club got the communication all wrong over this. There should have been a statement at the end of the January window just saying that.

2 Likes

Not sure the club could do anything if the player wasn’t willing. If he kept silent but the club said that lots would be thinking the club was forcing him out and then blame the club for his “meh” form towards the end of the season.

BTW I call bullshit on relegated Wijnaldum joining European places challenging Liverpool setting out a plan to be a starting player there winning PL and CL within the time frame of his initial contract. Even at the stage when he first started declining contract renewals. He just, probably all along, had the usual plan of becoming a bosman at this age and moving on to the highest bidder. Its perfectly within the rules but I do feel like he’s using PR to make himself look better over it all.

2 Likes

I doubt it’s a single thing that was a factor in his decision. There are too many variables when it comes to thinking about it from a person perspective.

Think about the considerations you make when you’re looking at your own careers. And most normal folks careers are from around 16-65 years. That’s upto 49 years. We have a lot longer to get across 4-5 employers. Most footballers have 10-18 years, with around 8 at peak levels.

It can’t be black and white therefore imo.

Could have been communication between Club and player. Gini kept saying ask the club. Club kept dodging.
I don’t think we have to be prescious about the club on the issue. The communication is the responsibilty of both parties (employer- employee).
I’m not going to rant and rave about it but fans getting sensitive because the club is mentionned is frustrating. Not as frustrating as I was when Gini and the club didn’t communicate anything in January (who’s decission that was we will never know but we do know both parties were involved in it).

Totally agree with the 2nd paragraph.

As I said if the player was unwilling to comment anything the club did to say the real circumstances on the issue would have seemed like they were forcing him out. They say he wants to leave and they would have to accept it but then he doesn’t confirm that how would it look? You’d have fans up in arms, the fsgout crowd having a field day etc. as soon as the player decided he wanted to keep the matter quiet the club is in a no win situation. For what it’s worth I think seeing his contract out and moving on for free (and a bigger sign on fee and wages) was always his plan. Not just since January.