Georginio WIJNALDUM: 2020/21

I realise that, what does that change to what I said?
Your shifting the angle and one that wasn’t even suggested. I don’t even understand your point. I was talking about communication, that has nothing to do with ‘forcing out’ or what ever.
What your saying is silly!

How am I shifting anything I said same thing in both posts. You’re asking for the club to have communicated the situation and commented on Wijnaldums plans. I’m pointing out they do that without WIJNALDUM then confirming them and it LOOKS like the club forcing him out. Especially with all his drama queen “I’ll tell the truth sometime soon” antics which already (unfairly) casts the club in a bad light. The only person who should be blamed for not communicating well enough is Wijnaldum. Knowing the decision he’d made would make him look bad he kept his mouth shut and wasn’t brave enough to own his decision publicly.

NO I DIDN’T that’s my point! your making it up as you go along so that you can say silly things!

1 Like

I understood what you said the same way ARD did so perhaps you and Gini should go on a communications seminar together. Help you both out.

I think Gini was always going to go on a freebie. I have no problem with that. First the rumour was Barca. But PSG offered him more money so he went there. I can’t see any big mystery to be honest.

Gini muddied the waters making out there was some other reason. The club had no obligation to communicate anything other than what they did. Which was Gini has been offered a contract, negotiations are ongoing and finally, Gini will move on. Klopp gave him a ringing endorsement as a goodbye message.

I don’t see any issue other than Gini being a bit disingenuous by saying I’ll make it clear. But to everyone, it’s as clear as the nose on your face, money talked. Absolutely fine.

5 Likes

Sums it up nicely.

Can’t see any need for continued bickering in this thread.

3 Likes

Oh can’t you? Well that is just your opinion. I like a good bickering. Just kidding.

2 Likes

Your kidding right?

Perhaps you and ARD don’t know the meaning of ‘he’?

@cynicaloldgit just out of interest what is your interpretation of this sentence?
In reply to the OP!

… and no I’m not sorry for dragging you into it! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I couldn’t give a flying fuck.

Gini has left and he went to the highest bidder.

The End.

2 Likes

You butted in!

Thought “and the club got the communication all wrong” was clear as day saying the club should have communicated better to be honest. But enough of this shit now. Its over. He’s gone like he was always going to be gone when he started rejecting perfectly reasonable contract extensions about two years ago. If its not been his plan all along it has been for over a year. Some people just didn’t want to believe that so gave realists agro over the last year. We should have sold him last year for around £30m to fund a CB. Season would have gone a lot better. Either no club was interested (actually don’t believe that) or player indicated he was unwilling to move on last year (more believable to me) as he’d have known he’d have ended up with significantly more money if he waited a year. Fully entitled to make that decision but its for the benefit of Gini Wijnaldum at the expense of LFC, I wasn’t OK with it last summer and still not now, that’s what has soured things for me a bit over a player I once voted our player of the year. I’m still a bit confused over how few seem annoyed at him over all this. The likes of Owen, Macca and others were crucified for less.

Macca and Owen were far more Machiavellian over their moves. They were signing a contract, they gave the club their word, and then they fucked off. With Owen, it was Rafa who called out his bullshit telling him there was a perfectly good contract offer on the table, and if he didn’t sign it he could do one.

With Gini, I don’t see any reason for animosity. He sign a contract and when that contract expired, he left. That’s life. He didn’t want to accept what the club were offering, and the club weren’t seemingly that arsed about keeping him. I suspect if he were three years younger the club might have offered him what he wanted, but they had to look towards getting the age of that midfield down, and Gini was the one who made way.

The club seem to have wished him well, and give. Him a nice send off. Gini seems alright, apart from this PR guff about the fans needing to know the true story (which is obviously nothing more that he didn’t get the contract offer he wanted).

2 Likes

Sorry completely disagree. You’re telling me Klopp would have rejected selling Gini last summer whilst bringing in a CB? Rafa would have called Gini out on his bullshit too. Gini did EXACTLY what Owen is hated for for TRYING to do but we still got money for him. Macca was fucked around by the club as much as he fucked the club. Neither cost the club anything to buy. Gini cost the club £25m to buy and denied us recouping pretty much the same by staying for his final year. Just because Klopp sees the person and can keep that side away from the business, therefore appreciating that all Gini did was what was best for him doesn’t mean Gini somehow behaved better. Those other players just had managers that weren’t as understanding as Klopp. Did either of them come out with statements just before leaving about how it would devastate them if they had to leave the club when the decision had been made long before giving false hope to fans and possibly the club? You say they were more machiavellian but Gini has wrapped everyone round his little finger over this and somehow come out smelling of roses. He ran down his contract and moved to the European side capable of paying the highest wages despite the sporting challenge being quite shit. Its nothing more than the most mercenary thing he could have done. If a United or City player did the exact same thing everyone would be using it as confirmation he was nothing but a mercenary.

2 Likes

Fucking hell. 100% yes. Absolutely.

There is absolutely no indication that Klopp was keen on selling Gini. The lad played 50 odd games for us, no? While everyone else was dropping like flies. If we’d fucked off Gini for a centre back, we’d have been absolutely screwed in midfield, we’d have probably missed out on CL, and that’s ultimately worth more than £25m.

Had the club been that arsed about protecting Gini’s value pending a sale, they’d have offered him a contract on improved terms. They offered him a contract that was clearly nowhere close to the contribution he was making/had made, and Gini was within his rights not to sign it. From the clubs point of view, they obviously didn’t want to tie themselves to a big contract for a soon to be 31 year old, having already got Thiago and Henderson in the big money and getting on a bit bracket.

To me it’s one of those where everybody understands each other’s position. Both parties have a laugh about the fun they’ve had, and shake hands and move on.

1 Like

Why don’t you just tell us what you meant? Zzzzzzz

1 Like

If we’d had another CB Fabinho and Henderson would have needed to cover at the back less, there’d have been less pressure on Matip and he might not have picked up the injury he did from constant playing time too.

We had thin numbers in midfield BECAUSE of the CB issue, not a separate issue. And Keita and Ox hardly played even when available and Jones didn’t play as much as he could have either. Disagree that we wouldn’t have coped without Gini especially as it would have meant a CB coming in which it turned out we needed a lot more.

Klopp tried to sell Can the summer before he left, then pretty much played him week in week out in his final year. Klopp doesn’t let those off field issues such as contracts and sales affect him when selecting players etc.!

Ginis agent has admitted it was always Ginis plan to move on, it was never the plan to extend here. You don’t know what we offered, one of the strongest rumours was that it would take parity with the top earners to persuade him to stay, according to some reports what he’s signed at PSG means his take home is more than those at LFC. How are you convinced they offered him a contract nowhere near the contribution he was making? Why do you have such blind faith in Gini that he would have accepted what he was worth to us instead of doing what is best for him and seeing what other offers were out there?

Its only that situation because of Klopp. Clubs and managers don’t usually happily allow £30+mil players walk away for nothing. Usually it means no contribution towards whoever is going to come and fill the vacated spot in the side.

Compare it to Macca and Owen, at the time they left LFC were so far behind in pay scales over other top clubs it was ridiculous, now we are one of the better payers in Europe. Then we weren’t competing and both went to THE side if you wanted glory and the biggest honours. Now we compete for the biggest honours and PSG doesn’t really stand much chance of the CL and plays in a lesser respected league. They cost us nothing not £25m. They spent significant time working their way up probably on lesser wages whilst stara around them were paid more, Gini rejected chances to pay him a reasonable rate. They only ended up leaving when things had got sour towards the end (Macca we tried to force out and cash in off Barca, Owen after Houllier left). Gini seems to have planned this for at least a couple of years (when things were as good as can be) if not all along. If they’d had Ginis PR team they’d still both be worshipped. If he had theirs he’d be public enemy number one.

1 Like

So let me see if I’ve understood this.

Klopp would have happily sacrificed Gini to get a Centre Back, despite Gini consistently being one of his most important players and Klopp essentially swapping Lovren for a fullback earlier in the summer?

But more than this, the club were actively trying to sell Gini, and it was the player who was stopping this happening.

Klopp was desperate for a centre back, but prioritised the position below a full back, a forward and another midfielder.

Does. Not. Compute.

Your argument is based entirely on your own supposition, and like you often do, you’re retrofitting facts to support a predetermined idea.

There was no attempt to move on Gini in the summer of 2020. I’m sure if someone had have offered £30m we’d have considered, but that was unlikely in the middle of the pandemic. He isn’t worth more than Thiago.

The Macca contract situation was right at the start of the Bosman era, and the club had not really understood the implications. Macca had assured everyone he was signing a new deal and was definitely staying. Then it became clear this was complete bullshit. Owen similar. His contract had been on the table for months, and he was continually coming back with spurious reasons why he couldn’t sign it, only to assure everyone it would be signed next month. Rafa knew his game and got eight million for him.

Why is that a problem? Gini was one of the most important players at the club, and hadn’t had an increase to his base pay for five years. That was always the ball park we were going to have to offer to keep him.

Gini is entitled to look around the midfield at what others are getting. Keita paid a lot more than him for never being available. Thiago just arrived and not contributed anything yet. Milner 35 and a squad player. Ox reportedly on more than him and never starts. If you were in Gini’s shoes, you’d want 150k as well.

And if the club don’t want to put him in that bracket given his age and the age of the others in midfield, then that’s also understandable. But there is only going to be one end to that story, and it’s both party’s wishing each other well and parting company.

There are no cunts here. Nobody had screwed anyone and everyone is fine. Nobody has lied to anyone. Nobody has strung anyone along.

3 Likes

By the way @AnfieldRdDreamer, if the prospect of players getting off on a free upsets you, I think you might have to strap yourself in for a rough few years.

I think this is the way it’s going to go at the elite clubs. Take Kylian Mbappe. £200m player? Moving on a free.

I think the top players can see that the fees needed to release them from their contracts are so big, it’s a barrier to them getting the moves the want. It probably makes more sense to run down their contracts than sign a new deal, even if they are refusing improved terms.

I’m just going to put this out there and say that I would not be surprised to see Mo Salah move to Bayern, Barca or PSG on a free in the summer of 2023.

4 Likes

I know you guys are only doing this to ramp-up the post count and dethrone Lord Nat. :smirk:

2 Likes