Georginio WIJNALDUM: 2020/21

Sorry, the Echo webpage is shit

1 Like

Good luck with that plastic club PSG and all the extra euro’s you get there, you deserve each other Wijnaldum,

2 Likes

Exhibit A right here

3 Likes

That’s the nature of social media. Does he think it’ll be different at PSG?

Comes across as incredibly naive and a bit whiny. Not sure what he’s hoping to achieve with these interviews. There wasn’t a problem to put right, he left with all the goodwill in the world. Bizarre.

13 Likes

… much more than a fistful and a good number will be in the stadium. I just can not understand his choice to move to France if he really felt that, bonkers!

1 Like

Look at the abuse Neco got on social media and he didn’t want to run away, if your on those social media sites and in the public eye you got to expect some spotty kids somewhere will give you abuse.

Online abuse is disgusting and needs to be eliminated. Although it’s also important to not confuse abuse with justified and unjustified criticism as football fans are allowed their own opinions and social media is the place to express them. I hope Gini didn’t suffer too bad and was able to get past any abuse he received. He will have, all people in the public eye (and many not in it) do! But real world here, the situation won’t be any different at PSG, and apparently there was a deal he would have been persuaded to stay at LFC for if it had been made to him, despite any abuse. This comes across as disingenuous and manipulative even if based on truth. And if based on truth he’s being naive as anything thinking its just a problem here. I’m sad to say though I don’t really believe a 30 year old surrounded by so many other players from different places and clubs/previous clubs when he works with them for club and Country would not be aware of the constant abuse going on of everybody all over. It’s in the news every other day.

2 Likes

Get what he’s saying but I’d nearly guarantee PSG will be worse. A hell of a lot of pressure there and any drop off from Gini will be felt in the reactions of the fans the stadium itself.

I feel he’s making a big issue of criticism from anonymous accounts which to be honest had a right to criticise a sub performer who was teasing around with a new contract so that’s why he was targeted by these keyboard fans. I just reckon he wants to save face here but acting like he was pushed out. Carra is right, he wanted more money and a longer contract and the club disagreed, I’d have liked to keep him but I’ve worried more about signings rather than our sales.

Move on Gini.

2 Likes

“Every day in training and in the game I gave everything.

“Liverpool meant so much to me. There was some moment when I didn’t feel love and appreciated there.

“Not by my teammates, not the people at Melwood. I know they all loved me and I loved them. It was not from that side, more from the other side.

“There was a moment when I didn’t feel loved. In the last two seasons, I had it a few times.

“The fans in the stadium and the fans in social media were two different things,” he continues. “In the stadium, I can say nothing bad about them. They always supported me.

“On social media if we lost I was the one who got the blame — [claiming] that I wanted to leave. There was a moment when I was like, ‘Wow, if they only knew what I was doing to stay fit and play every game.’

"You cannot complain because that is your job. But other players might have said, ‘I’m not fit.’ You get players in their last year who are like, ‘I’m not playing because it’s a risk.’ I did the opposite.

"I didn’t always play good but after the game I could look in the mirror and say, ‘I trained hard to get better.’

"My team-mates never had the feeling that I let them down or was taking the p*. For the manager, I was someone he was really sure he could trust. It also helped because I could play in different positions and do it well in different positions. I’d give everything.**

“I got so much love not only from the fans but the manager and the players, the people who worked at the club. Players came to me saying, ‘This is your last training session, this is your last week at the club.’ It was really difficult and also emotional.

"A lot of time I had to fight against my tears. The love everyone showed [during and after that final game, against Crystal Palace] was beautiful.”
————————————————————

100% right is Gini here. Took risks to play as many minutes as possible for us last season. One injury and he could have missed the EUROs and would be without a club now.

Is TAN representative for all the other online ‘fans’ in the world? Because - whenever we had a bad game / result he was the one to be attacked by the internet Rambos.

We had this at the EURO final too. ‚English when they win but being abused when they miss a penalty’

On the internet people grow some balls they don’t have in real life.

:100: Liverpool Legend Gini Wijnaldum

10 Likes

See what he appears to be referencing in those quotes sounds more like criticism (deserved or not doesn’t matter) than abuse. Do any players 100% avoid criticism? Sorry the more I see of this the more it sounds like either toys out the pram ridiculousness or a cynical attempt to leave as the victim that everyone still loves. Despite ending up on the biggest wage possible!

It’s brilliant he’s raised this as a reason for him leaving. Liverpool fans appear to have a long queue for club whipping boy. When one is sold or leaves the next player in line is the one abused. If TAN is a reflection of the wider social media, it could be Bobby, Keita, Adrian (let’s hope not as it would mean another AB injury!), Origi that will replace Gini. Probably the latter.

I’m probably extremely naïve, but it would be great if this article made a few fans pause and think about it before pressing post on Twitter etc.

I’ve said before that it annoys me that Mane for example doesn’t really have a song, or at least one that is sung often, and I would love it if he was shown more love at the stadium through song. It appears these things make a difference for players.

6 Likes

That would mean either his agent is a miracle worker or he deserves the wage, and therefore the criticism isn’t valid?

2 Likes

I have to say I do feel he got some pretty shitty criticism more than a lot of other players

6 Likes

Maybe but was it criticism or abuse? Abuse is bang out of order and disgusting, needs completely eradicating. Saying that you thought someone was shit or didn’t play like they cared isn’t abuse even if its wrong. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and there are people with a lot more wacky opinions than that!

I think most famous players will get the best wage they could get anywhere if they are prepared to move to PSG and the inferior, lesser regarded, French League. Doesn’t have to mean they are great or their agent is good. If PSG think they are beating top European clubs to your signature they’ll offer a fortune in wages.

100%

Wijnaldum was never really a ‘special’ player.

His performances over the last 3-4 years were on a similar level.

Other players performances fell off a cliff during parts of last season - Firmino, Mané, Trent and maybe Robbo too.

But Gini was the scapegoat for most of the time.

4 Likes

Google ‘Wijaldum abuse’ and see how many papers have the word ‘abuse’ in their article about him in the last few hours.

Do you think Gini has never been abused - racially or not - online during his time here and especially last season?

I can’t understand why anyone who supports Liverpool would abuse Gini. He gave everything for the club and was instrumental in our great success in recent years. Why on earth would you insult him? It absolutely beggars belief.

7 Likes

But that doesn’t change the fact that what Gini actually describes in the interview/statement is criticism not abuse seemingly. People accusing him of not performing well enough because he no longer cared etc. (whether accurate or not) is criticism not abuse. Unless there’s more and I’ve only been seeing the “highlights” in reports.

1 Like

It is possible that the criticism contained abuse. It’s not a big stretch to imagine that the kind of people who would ever think it worthwhile to target criticism directly at a player via social media would also have the mindset to throw in a few slurs while they’re at it.

EDIT. Though I do agree the whole thing is slightly disingenuous knowing that he would more than likely have been happy to stay had we given him a contract to his liking.

2 Likes