Georginio WIJNALDUM: 2020/21

Yet despite all these excuses Gini is right that despite being a player the manager viewed as incredibly important was often treated as the scape goat by a significant section of the real, non-racist fan base.

He has a very unusual combination of supreme reliability coupled with an amazing portfolio of game defining moments in big (sometimes enormous) games. He deserved better than being the guy who was first in line to get it in the neck for us having a bad performance (or just as often, us actually winning comfortably but still getting it in the neck)ā€¦or at least first in line once we get rid of Lovren.

I dont know it serves any purpose airing it. It is isnā€™t the reason he left and it would be disingenuous for him to pretend it had an influence. But being blind to the way our fan base picks one player and berates them as the sole cause of our failure to win 100% of our games in a season by the 30th minute is equally disingenuous.

7 Likes

Think too many are putting their own spins and assumptions on here.

What Gini actually said as an example is fans questioning his motivation and he even mentions it being after games he hadnā€™t played well in. Going purely off what he actually says then Iā€™m sorry its ridiculous. You canā€™t admit to having a bad game when your contract is running down and youā€™re leaving on a free and then complain some questioning over whether itā€™s a motivation issue!

And if that really is a problem in his eyes then heā€™s in for a rude awakening at PSG where even guys like Neymar and Mbappe have fans unhappy with them sometimes.

2 Likes

Wow! And I thoight it was only England fans who were like this!

Just sticking to what Gini said, I read it as him talking specifically about the last 2 years, where he was getting the blame essentially fans saying his heart was not in it (him justifying he was with lots of training and being fit)

Comes across very poorly. Really disliked the part where he was essentially saying other players would not be as professional

Training and playing is a basic minimum expectation. Itā€™s not something positive. Or should be used as a contrast.

The reality is he is a celebrity. Every celebrity in any walk of life receives criticism. Does not matter if your Boris Johnson, Britney Spears or even Jurgen Klopp (the most likeable manager in world football).

There are divkheads everywhere who all have their 2 cents. If that affects him, he should not be on social media.

11 Likes

Think he was talking especially about the last season with all our injury problems and him playing so many minutes.

He went all in - no doubt. Risked getting injured and not only missing the EUROs but also he was still without a new club.

1 Like

ā€¦by his choice. Because him and his agent were creating an auction and wanting till after the Euros preferably as he always plays more attacking for them elevating his status more. So what he is basically saying is;

ā€œLook through my own choices chasing the best possible mega money available to me Iā€™ve got a bit of an uncertain future. But Iā€™ll still actually do the job Iā€™m being paid for by LFC, arenā€™t you all lucky? Now even when I play poorly in some games I wanted 100% praise and adulation and zero criticism or questioning my motivation!ā€

When all this came out at first I was worried about the effects the social media trolls and racists had had on him and if he was emotionally OK but confused how he could realistically believe it would be better at PSG. Now Iā€™m just kind of annoyed over such a flimsy excuse/justification for him wanting to leave, when by his own account he was already leaving by this point hence how fans were able to question his motivation.

3 Likes

The irony is there are probably 6 or 7 better players in the squad who donā€™t get sung about 1/5th as much as Gini does. Look at any match video, fan park video or any other gathering of Liverpool fans, and Gini is probably in the top 3 of players who have their individual song aired.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s possibly more because of the song itself, itā€™s a ā€œmodernā€ tune and easy to get going. Overall, I agree, my impression is that Gini was really loved. Probably even more than how good he was for us, although his importance grew with time. I prefered his final 3 seasons to his first 2. The online rubbish is something that all players get, so itā€™s either a poor excuse or even as an older player now (and apparently a top pro), he canā€™t resist reading comments and let it bother him.

1 Like

If he was using online fan abuse as a main reason to leave LFC,rather than for a fatter pay cheque (as he thinks leaving for cash would be more of an insult to the fans but wants to leave on good terms with the fans on his side),then i think heā€™s just made matters worse tbh.

He says everyone at the club and fans at the stadium supported him,what more does he or any other player want?? heā€™s obviously never been taught social media skills or taught to block out the useless shit thrown at him online, thats been written by a fucking idiot,who can barely speak english,let alone type out some of the abusive nonsense that makes no sense, i bet every football player gets similar stick online (even the best players on the planet) from opposing fans.

You look at all the online abuse and racial stuff online lately,if it was anywhere near as bad as that,it would have been all over the newspapers,Sky Sports News and iā€™d even go as far as saying the club and Klopp would have made a statement to our fans about it,look at the stick Lucas and Henderson got years ago,we never seen them run down their contracts and leave the club blaming it on fan abuse,both got their heads down,one left and still has massive love for LFC and probably more fans appreciate him now and the other ploughed through it and got us number 19 and 6.

I feel like Gini blaming online LFC fans (debatable that they were all LFC and probably a very small minority if they are) abusing him the real reason for leaving as an insult to all the real fans who supported him,for want of a better phrase,weā€™ve been tarred with the same brush,Especially when he had over 150,000 other reasons for going to PSG.ALSO if the abuse was that bad,why did he insist that if LFC had given him what he wanted,he would have loved to have stayed?? i donā€™t condone racial abuse or any other type of abuse but i think heā€™s just used BS tweets and online messages as an excuse to jump ship.

10 Likes

In all fairness , There needs to be some moderation on posts in Twitter/Insta.

Some people can take it on the chin and glance it off , but there have been / are disgusting cretins there who really have no life ever.

4 Likes

So he went to PSG to run away from social mediaā€¦

3 Likes

Is there some sort of PSG ā€˜bubbleā€™, which will protect Gini from social media? Or does Ā£300k a week make the abuse easier to deal with?

5 Likes

yea. criticism/abuse in french. when heā€™ll learn the language he will prolly want go to italy.

-smartass mode off-

3 Likes

Yes. He can now afford someone to pull down his eyelids, stick their fingers in his ears and go ā€œla la laā€ very loudly so that he he can avoid all the abuse.

5 Likes

Iā€™m sending my CV

3 Likes

Yeah, that bubble is called Neymar.

No matter what you do at PSG, no one will give a shit as Neymar will always be there demanding the spotlight and attention be on him

1 Like