Georginio WIJNALDUM: 2020/21

Well yeah, I get the math part in your illustration.

If your illustration was that he “should have taken what was offered” you are speculating it was a good deal for the player. I’m not being pedantic, obtuse, or argumentative, I love reading your posts on anything business related because all your thoughts are always top class. I wasn’t sure if you knew for sure what was offered to him.

Or maybe I’m missing something else entirely, which is also quite possible! :woozy_face::beer:

3 Likes
12 Likes
11 Likes

‘I cannot really say a lot about it but I would be happy if he would stay here,’ said Klopp. I am pretty happy with Gini as you can see when you look at most of the line-ups! He has played always good for me, that’s why he’s played the amount of games (202) he has.

‘He played for us in plenty of different positions and he is in a good moment, thank God. Long may it continue. It’s good and there’s nothing else to say about it. As long as nothing is decided, everything is possible. I am positive.’

‘Gini is one of the best people I have ever met and he is one of the best players I’ve ever trained,’ Klopp said.

‘He is an outstanding person so there is no issue, no issue at all. We are professionals. Our relationship didn’t change at all over the years – it improved, obviously.

‘We’ve won one or two things together and we know each other better. I’m interested in his life, he’s interested in my life. That is how it is – and that is the truth. Emre gave his absolutely everything until the last day of his contract and Gini will do the same, no doubt about that.’

8 Likes
3 Likes

Fckn piss shit cunt

2 Likes

Very well said @Barnestormer.

5 Likes

You definitely get this weeks @Scott.Jones award.
Come on @Scott.Jones where are you? :wink:

3 Likes

It was the accuracy of the situation I was seeking, not so much the vulgarity.

7 Likes

Oh no. Jürgen is turning into Brendan; it’s all downhill from here. When we lose our last game of the season 6-1, don’t say you weren’t warned.

3 Likes

My sentiments exactly.

3 Likes

I think it’s obvious that the club are being very cautious about Gini’s contract. And with good reason.

He is thirty, and has probably played more games over the last decade than the vast majority of players.

The club do not want to put Gini on 150k a week, and then have those games catch up with him.

I think the reticence to move him into the very top echelon of wage earners in because we think Gini is going to hit a brick wall in term of fitness.

2 Likes

I know the old mantra of letting a players legs go at another club. However the fact that Gini seems to be one of the few players at the club at the moment (and has through his career with us) who actually has legs means we should be, if nothing else, offering an extension to keep him here for another 18 months till the kids get a little older and we can sort the Naby / Thiago conundrum.

1 Like

I think we have offered that?

At this point though, Gini is not going to want an 18 month extension. That will keep him until he is 31 and a half, and it affects his earning potential if he is looking for a new contract at that age.

No agent would be advising Gini to accept an 18 month deal, even on improved terms. He’ll want a four year deal, and therein lies the problem. Liverpool don’t want to be stuck paying a 33/34 year old 150k a week, especially if the data they have on what he’s got on his legs means a red light is flashing on his ability to play into his thirties.

We’ve been offering him a contract. For whatever reason it’s not good enough to persuade him to stay. Everything else is speculation. One of 3 things has happened or combination of them.

1; What we’ve offered isn’t good enough to persuade him to stay and it’s because the club haven’t offered something very good.

2; What we’ve offered isn’t good enough to persuade him to stay and it’s because the player has unrealistic expectations on wage or length the club can’t justify agreeing to.

3; We are offering what he would accept but he just has no interest in staying. He’s lived in the North of England long enough, won the major trophies here, plays a punishing role without much glory attached and can go elsewhere playing a more glamorous role, with his family living in a nicer place, competing for new trophies to add to his legacy and quite possibly on as much or more money than what we can offer him.

I’ve always believed 3 is what he believes in his head especially whilst Koeman is at Barca. Dreams of spending a couple of seasons being the number 10 at Barcelona during a Dutch tinged revival? How could that not be appealing to a footballer? Especially a Dutch one?

Which I agree with completely but surely there’s a £££ compromise that can suit all parties given our current situation. Or busk it till January and bring in his replacement as Thiago seems to have gone AWOL. At least he’s still here in the short term, Christmas is going to be savage I suspect.

Agree completely. Liverpool’s a nice city and his trophy count here will only grow. However, anybody who’s in a relationship or married knows the importance of the happiness or misery of the sadness of the other half. I guess I’d rather live just outside Barcelona or Madrid or or or etc. Just such a shame to be waving goodbye to such a good, dependable and robust player. Particulary at the moment :frowning:

4 Likes

And still… :infinity:

8 Likes

Wijnaldum doesn’t need rest, the rest need Wijnaldum.

I’ll get my coat…

8 Likes

Thank fuck he’s still here.

6 Likes