Georginio WIJNALDUM: 2020/21

No there isn’t, brinkmanship in noway encompasses negociation!
Try a dictionary!

1 Like

A dictionary would certainly help with your spelling of “negotiation”.

3 Likes

Poppycock :joy:

1 Like

Glad your learning from me. :+1:

1 Like

Shit forgot the accent, négociation. :scream:

2 Likes

I reckon he’ll leave in the summer and be back for pre season.

6 Likes

Or you can just assume the club are doing something completely out of character with a player Klopp values and then have rants at them over the internet. I think it much more likely that after being here for several years (and in the north of England a bit longer adding Newcastle time) and having won every honour he will care about Wijnaldum is at least tempted to move on. As a free agent he will literally have the best teams in the world treating it like an auction (including staying here) putting the best offers together to entice him. Going abroad to one of these top teams means further raising his profile, getting to experience living in a new place that his family may enjoy more, whilst competing for new trophies to add to his playing achievements and earning a shed load more cash. It may even be a better and more fun playing prospect. There’s not a lot of fun or glory in the role he performs here. Going somewhere wanting to use him in the way Netherlands do could really improve his standing and reputation in the game whilst being more fun for him and less hard work as he enters his 30s. Taking all those possibilities together I certainly don’t see it as surprising that he would want to check his options and possibly move on even if we offered him the best possible deal we could. We’ll never be able to match/beat some teams out there on wages. And in a more fun, attacking role his endorsement deals may even increase by leaving here especially if it’s Real or Barca.

4 Likes

Nope. I don’t believe he wants to leave. Makes no sense at this point.

Wants sunny weather?
Can have that after his retirement which is not long to go.

Wants a more attacking role?
Why? Why now in his 30s? He won CL and PL as a regular starter in his current role. Doesn’t have to prove anything. Never moaned about his role here.

Play for a bigger / other club?
Come on - not at this point.

Like i said. Makes no sense for him to want to leave. Very likely that he won’t be able to perform like he does for us. Very likely that he will be very unhappy somewhere else. Clubs like Barca, Real, Juventus, PSG - they ‘destroyed’ better players than Gini in the past. And those clubs are a mess at the moment.

2 Likes

You think he will be a number 10 like he was the last couple of games for the Netherlands when he leaves for Real or Barcelona. I don’t. He will do the same unglamorous slog work for them as he does for us, the weather will be better for most of the year that’s it.

6 Likes

Money is the only issue and not for one second do i believe that Gini is a greedy person.

For someone who is 30 and won the CL and PL as a regular starter he earned relatively little money in his career so far. Especially compared to our other regular starters.

He doesn’t have many years left to earn the money he wasn’t able to earn during his early years.

Gini should have been on Firmino wages a long time ago. I believe both are similary important for us.

And after this year i think the club should admit one and declare Gini a special case and offer him even more than Firmino. Not only for what we can expect from him in the next two years but also as a reward for how important he was for us already.

4 Likes

Further the dirty work he does will go even more unnoticed and he’ll be disrespected even further there. Just needs to ask Coutinho what he’s getting into.

3 Likes

How certain are you that he was offered improved terms that long ago? (i.e. not disputing your statement, but how reliable is your source?). And was it the same deal (3 years, 40% rise) as is now rumoured?

1 Like

Very certain. 3 years, yes. Don’t know if it was a 40% rise (of base presumably?). My understanding is that the main difference pre covid was not the salary but the length of contract (Gini wants at least 4yrs). Maybe we’ve increased the base further in return for Gini agreeing to the shorter term?

3 Likes

No such thing.

9 Likes

All of this. He should have been on improved money a long time ago. And I don’t want to pit one players earnings against another’s but currently some wages are most definitely askew, with relation to importance on match days.

It’s hard for me to be unbiased in all of this because I love Gini, and I feel like we are a better side when he’s playing. It does seem strange the holdup would be length of deal. The club just commit a 4 year deal with Thiago, who is literally only 5 months (exactly to the day) younger than Gini. Pay Gini and get him locked in.

3 Likes

Maybe he should have accepted the improved terms when they were first offered?

For illustration purposes only:

Current Salary: £80k/week
May 2019: Offered improved salary of £120k/week taking him to 2024. Doesn’t sign.
As a result he has already missed out on over £3m in base salary to date.

Let’s say he signs to 2024 in the next few months. Just to get to the same value as the original deal had he signed it when first offered, his new salary would now need to be approximately £140k/week.

[I emphasise that these figures are illustrative only]

4 Likes

When you say illustrative do you also mean speculative? I’m asking genuinely for realistic context. Do you know for certain he was offered £120/wk?

I don’t disagree with your overall theme, it’s never good to “leave money on the table” as the saying goes. But for all we know he could’ve been offered £100/wk, or maybe less, and Gini decided to bet on himself. The club seems pretty tight lipped on contract matters.

2 Likes

…monies offered might be back-dated to the original time discussions began… Maybe.??
Gini needs to be careful and have a contract sorted before he plays against Pickford again…

2 Likes

No, I mean illustrative. I’m not speculating and I’m also not saying those are the true figures.

Backdating pay like that would be a breach of the PL rules.

3 Likes

…Ah OK… We live and learn
Thanks

3 Likes