Georginio WIJNALDUM: 2020/21

Of course we don’t give him anything he wants, you don’t give it to anyone, let alone Gini Wijnaldum.

But yeah, that’s possibly where the negotiations broke so far. Perhaps Klopp is willing, but the club and people upstairs who do the maths aren’t (and I understand, without knowing the exact numbers offers/wanted).

Great goal. Though when he tucked inside and decided to go alone, I already thought “f*ck, he’s going to ruin this great chance with a shot off target or a weak one straight at the goalie”.

3 Likes

Maybe his replacement played alongside him today? :smirk:

4 Likes

I do get a sense this is the last season for Gini, I just think he wants 1 more challenge before he winds down. He probably feels he’s won everything here and thats that. He’s not playing like a man who is unhappy about a lack of contract he wants, he’s playing like a man whose made up his mind but will give this season his all and go out on a complete high.

I respect that, and would only wish him well when he goes. Whoever comes in be that internal or external has huge shoes to fill. He has been our best player so far this season.

10 Likes

I‘m not giving up hope. Maybe there will be a christmas miracle on Anfield Road between December 20th and 26th (we have no game there).

Gini sitting on the table with a Santa hat on and signing that contract. :santa:t5:

3 Likes

Would love him to stay but totally understand if he goes and i wish him all the best in that, his contribution to the team is without question.

5 Likes

The League Cup
FA Cup

So he is staying, right :wink:

But yeah, I get your point. He is like Milner and feels that he needs a new challenge, a change in scenery to keep his fire going. Top lad.

4 Likes

No i don’t understand that.

He won’t be able to perform like he does here. He won’t be as important as he is here at Barca or Juve.

Juve would only sign him for economic reasons. Wouldn’t be the first player to regret signing for them on a free.

Barca are in a mess. He won’t be able to turn that around.

Hate to say it but maybe Bayern would be a good move for him but he still wouldn’t get the recognition / importance he gets here.

3 Likes

Liverpool also hope to tie Georginio Wijnaldum to a new contract. The 30-year-old’s deal runs out in the summer and he has been linked with Barcelona. Liverpool hope to restart talks with the Dutch midfielder, who has been at the club since 2016, in the next few weeks. Wijnaldum is still not convinced about what his role will be at the club.

Romano has been the only journalist so far who reported that Wijnaldum was negotiating with Liverpool and that there actually was a chance for him to extend.

4 Likes

Man is playing every single game because almost our entire team is injured and is even taking goal scoring responsibilities now… can it get more challenging for him? :smiley:

5 Likes

At this point of his career and given that he has won pretty much what he dreamt of when he came to England I highly doubt that’s his concern. This will probably be his last big contract and will be the biggest of his career so he has to look at his future beyond football and not just his role in the next 2-3 seasons so I personally think he signs the one with the biggest bottom line and lets face it, he will probably still win stuff away from here too. He has provided absolutely stellar service and been an integral part of our success so I will not begrudge him that, certainly.

6 Likes

Given that he’s obviously been ‘tapped up’ by Koeman about a move to Barcelona, I wonder what Gini is thinking now. Barcelona is a club in turmoil at the moment, they’ve had a terrible start to the season and Koeman could be gone by the new year.
I don’t want Gini to leave, but if he goes, he goes and he will be replaced. Liverpool Football Club will wish him well and move on.

3 Likes

Maybe the challenge is not to carry a team on his back and spend his evenings on long walks down by a sunny beach… Not cold windy nights in Stoke… Sorry Burnley… :wink:

2 Likes

You don’t understand that a player wants to move, he has my blessing, sorry if you think we should him against his will.

That’s his decision at the end of the day.

5 Likes

I’d be surprised if Koeman lasts the season.

3 Likes

I don’t believe this so I’m reasonably certain Gini won’t believe it!

1 Like

It does not follow at all

2 Likes

The thing that is certain is Gini will perform. The thing that is uncertain is will the fans value his performance. I doubt that will happen in Barca at the very least, they are impatient lot and it could go south from his perspective.

But hey, it’s his choice at the end of the day and I’ll respect it. I hope if he leaves us, he goes to a club where he’s happy and has the smile on his face like he has now.

2 Likes

Exactly where I come out on it. Beautifully stated start to finish. It just feels like this is the last ride for Gini. Bittersweet. It’s going to be painful (for many reasons) to see him go but I also understand and respect his decisions. Aside from a new professional challenge, someone said it a few posts up, this is likely his last chance at a significant payday and setting himself and his family up for life after football. As supporters of Liverpool Football Club he’s given us everything he can give so we have to respect and support any decision he makes.

I agree with @GermanRed, Bayern isn’t a bad shout, altho I think wherever he is going it’s all but done. I also very much believe he and Memphis are going to the same club. Nothing to hang my hat on, just a gut feeling. I don’t know if it’s Barca but I do think they’re going to the same club together.

6 Likes

In actual fact though, he is already set up for life.

2 Likes

I get that. Everyone gets that. I don’t even think that needs said. But here we are. My point, his value is likely higher than ever and it’s his final chance at a large payday and maximize his value. Surely you can understand.

1 Like