Georginio WIJNALDUM: 2020/21

Thats a different point though put in a slightly different way. Surely I can understand.

Purely of my own feeling, I think its more about him being a linchpin of the team for the past 4 years and being on £60k, and seeing others on a lot more. I think he feels a little but underfed, and justifiably so. This can generate a feeling of trying to secure bumper terms going forwards to correct the past.

3 Likes

Even Scholes who hates liverpool was baffled last night as to why he would want to leave a winning team and join a team in transition? Even VVD said he would rather win one PL championship with Liverpool than 6 with another team but as you said he has done very well with us and he can leave with our blessing. I still believe that he has to bang his head on the wall to find out it really hurts like Coutinho Owen etc…

5 Likes

Then he should have accepted the pay rises that were on offer during those 4 years. There’s a lot for a player to gain by not extending a deal that ends when they are in their prime. I really dislike how people try to paint it as Gini being some form of victim to our cruel club not appreciating him. He knows what he has been doing. He’s already on the best contract of his life and better than anything it looked like he would ever get before Klopps magic touch. Now because of his time here he’ll probably get a much bigger deal somewhere else to play out the end of his career. He’s extremely privileged and his lifestyle and future have been vastly improved by us signing him to that contract.

3 Likes

Its clear you still read things that have not been written; I never implied a victim mentality, just a shift in perception of his value. Its called the market, so please stop mutating what people write and have strawman arguments with yourself. This is because you wrote some bullshit this morning and I called it out isnt it.

So what pay rises? Do you know whether they were conditional or not, I expect they were.

I really dislike a lot of things, but you can always grow up.

3 Likes

You said he justifiably feels underfed. You’re not the first to have said things like this. I feel that is bullshit.

At the point he was at in his career we gave him the best paid deal he’d ever had and quite possibly may have ever got as things stood. He was in a relegated Newcastle team and there wasn’t exactly a queue round the block of suitors.

We saw something in him, developed it, he worked hard, he earned those wages and more.

The club have tried, within that time, to extend his deal, that process almost 100% of the time involves a pay rise so without evidence it wouldn’t this time it’s a safe assumption that he has sacrificed a bit more money in the here and now to gain the option of more freedom (and likely a hell of a lot more money) in the near future.

It’s smart of a footballer in his position who views playing as a well paid, fun, job and he’s done nothing wrong.

But let’s not delude ourselves Gini owes Klopp and this club a hell of a lot. I can accept the opinion that he has repaid that on the pitch although I don’t fully agree as he is worth £30-50m on the market which we now won’t get, that is so he can get a better deal.

If he’s underfed it’s because he has chosen short term pain for his personal long term gain. His prerogative but it is an action that affects us negatively so it pisses me off seeing it packaged up in such a way!

2 Likes

And I said it was predicated as simply a personal view at no point did I paint him as a victim, that’s your emphasis and its rubbish, paraphrasing. You are the one slanting this as a moral issue, to me its simply commercial.

Anyway, of course he feels underfed else we would have seen a deal. I would stop paraphrasing to suit your own narrative that people are blaming the club. Im not. Nevertheless there is a proven expectation out there that clubs mostly retain their best players.

‘we gave him the best paid deal he’d ever had and quite possibly may have ever got as things stood.’ is sheer constructionism. As well, you dont know what Gini has chosen, and the best leak we have heard is it was about the length not amount of the deal.

I could do the same to your post, I mean how on earth does he or the club owe each other, Im sure the contract is paid up dutifully and he plays in the same spirit. Lets not conflate the moral with the commercial. Even though you seem to be implying its Gini’s greed.

So you cannot confirm the terms of the payrises he has been offered? Thought not, yet this is material to your argument. You seem to be suggesting its Gini?! Another moral judgment to a commercial issue.

The simple issue here is a disparity in valuations.

1 Like

So glad you are not our manager… Imagine having the throught process that a selfless, happy all the time player owes us anything… He owes us nothing, he’s done a service above and beyond at all times.

4 Likes

Guess I just see things a bit different than some.

I have never seen running down a contract as anything other than a selfish and greedy act. A player will always personally benefit more financially as a free agent than as a signing that requires a fee. In fact some players can even get moves to better clubs than they would do simply because it’s cheaper for the club they are moving to.

It’s always a move that harms the owning club, except in extremely unusual circumstances (like highly toxic players) no club forgoes millions or tens of millions voluntarily by letting a player run down his deal it’s the players choice.

That’s how football is and there is nothing wrong with players looking out for their own best interests. Clubs do it by selling players who are happy at the club because they aren’t at the level the club want or need. It’s a ruthless sport.

But a player choosing to run down his deal is something that harms his current club and as Wijnaldum plays for us I therefore don’t like it. There is nothing stopping him from showing the club some loyalty. Sign a contract extension and only leave if another club are prepared to meet our valuation. He’ll lose money but he can do it and it would benefit our club, which is what I care about.

He does owe this club. Who was after him when he came here? I remember the fuss over the signing and his first season I was one of very few who recognised what he added to the side and actually voted for him in the player of the season thread in TIA. He’s a great guy, brilliant professional, underappreciated footballer and an important player to us. But when we bought him it was like a fairy tale for him he couldn’t have hoped for that! Now he’s seen as a real top class CM that most teams would happily stick in their starting 11s. That doesn’t happen without Klopp and LFC.

But he’s embarking on a course of action that denies LFC a £30-50m asset at the end of this season without any incoming funds to try to overcome the problems that causes for LFC.

3 Likes

I want Gini to stay.
Ill miss the important role he plays for us. Ill miss his grin.

But if he goes he goes with my best wishes and gratitude.
But he better sign that extension or

5 Likes
5 Likes

Yes; to get universal appreciation from the LFC fanbase.

5 Likes
6 Likes

Why not offer him the Milner approx. salary level, £140kpw and 3-year length of contract that we got over the line in Dec 2019? Or is it naïve to think Gini would accept that he has the same value to the club as James?

2 Likes

A recent article puts Gini third in total appearances under Klopp.

Maybe he believes that he deserves wage parity with the top earners at the club; he’d certainly have a point.

As @wyld.at.hrt posted in the “Gini to Barcelona” thread, it’s all conjecture.

3 Likes

Who’s to say we haven’t?

5 Likes

But he’s embarking on a course of action that denies LFC a £30-50m asset at the end of this season without any incoming funds to try to overcome the problems that causes for LFC.
[/quote]

I think you have a valid point ARD regards a player running down a contract.
However, like me, you have probably still got a sour taste in your mouth about the way Steve McManaman screwed us over when he left for Real Madrid - yes it is the same McManaman of commentator fame who has had numerous elocution lessons so he can remember to pronounce …ing at the end of most words…!
The difference with Gini though, he has certainly paid off his transfer fee debt in spades.
Whatever Gini decides to do, I for one would only wish him well.

2 Likes

The latest comments that have emerged about Gini wanting ‘assurances about his role in the team’ are telling.

1. he wants to know he is going to continue being an important player and is not going to be pushed to the margins (like Lallana was) in thirties

2. he is looking for a different role in the side. Gini has got through a lot of selfless donkey work under Klopp and might want to spend his remaining playing days doing something with a little less impact on the body. That’s quite a sensible position for a player in their thirties to take.

3. it’s just a way of saying add another 30k on that offer.

3 Likes

One of the concerns for Gini is likely being about balancing his base salary with the variable elements particularly as he gets older and his status as one of the first names on the team sheet becomes less secure.

4 Likes

No one knows what the reality of the situation is and we probably never will know. Maybe the club are being penny pinching mingebags or maybe they are being completely reasonable. I do find some of the comments in here about Gini a wee bit disrespectful. He’s been one of the most important members of this team over the last two and a bit seasons. One of JK’s favourites. We’d have been totally fucked had he moved last summer. Whatever money he is on will not be great when you compare him to some of the others in the squad. If he’s pushing for a better deal then good luck to him. Equally if he chooses to go having fulfilled his contract then that’s fine with me. He’s only doing what he’s entitled to do.

On his role in the team, again this is all media speculation. They have fuck all clue what’s going on when it comes to contract negotiations, but the role for Gini in the future will surely be similar to that of Milner now. Super fit senior pro in the dressing room, setting a good example for the next generation of lads coming through from the Academy and getting a decent amount of game time too. I hope he stays.

9 Likes

See I can’t see how people can be ok with what’s happening with Gini but view the Macca thing negatively.

Gini cost us £25m Macca was free from the academy.

Gini will have been with us for 5 years Macca nearly a decade.

Gini has never had the club try and cash in on him Macca did.

Both incredibly important members of the relevant squads but let’s be honest we were awful back then and Macca was incredibly underappreciated at the time because of how bad we were. Less than half the wages he could earn elsewhere (as much as we could pay not the contract stand off with Gini), one of the best wingers of his day as proven by Barca approach and Real signing.

2 Likes