Germany based Reds

@Bekloppt and @RedWhippet
Thank you for the insight guys.
I am just looking at my options. I took some courses and retrained in the sector of Pharmacovigilance and Drug safety. I have been learning German on and off since the lockdown started (due to mum’s health issues, I was not regularly studying), not just self taught, but with a qualified teacher every other week. I am trying to prepare for the B1 exam. Now, I have more time to study.
My mum’s sisters want me to move to Toronto. I don’t to be far away from my mum’s resting place. Plus, I am kind of used to UK and Europe. It is easier to travel to further places than from North America.

I had a colleague who’s brother in law used to work in Germany 5 days a week and come home to Manchester on the weekends or every other weekend. He worked for one of the big German Pharma companies. Have you ever heard of any expats working in one country, but live in another country close by?

1 Like

It does happen, they are known as border workers although it could be trickier for British nationals post Brexit.

1 Like

Omg! Brexit rears its ugly head again.
The guy retired in 2014 but then we were still part of the EU when he was working over there.

It is difficult now for UK citizens to work in the EU

You now need a visa as a UK citizen to work in the EU. The process is a pain to line up (which is now into week 4 already), you then get a date for an interview at the consulate (this is for the EU country in my case but I’m assuming broad similarities), it take 4-6 weeks from then.

1 Like

I tried watching the Dortmund vs Werder game on the WOW app on our Telekom Magenta box. This is the replacement for the Sky Ticket app and so far it seems to work quite well. I’ll be watching our game on it tomorrow rather than faffing about with the Chromecast.

Also noticed that they have fixed the Disney app. It only took them three years to sort it. Wonders never cease!

So, no continuation of the 9 euro ticket then? That’s a shame :slightly_frowning_face:

My favourite bar in Stuttgart has caved into my demands that I would withdraw my custom for the next five weeks and is also boycotting Qatar. I mean it makes economic sense!

4 Likes

Good bloke our Phil

3 Likes

I just posted that on the World Cup thread. I think he hits the nail on the head when he points out that there are many Middle Eastern countries with a great football fanbase and ground roots football culture. If they had gone for a pan Middle East / North African tournament they could have done something really great with it.

2 Likes

Exactly. Great point! North Africa have produced some great footballers from that region. Also, Iraq and Iran are great footballing nations as well.

3 Likes

Proud of the German team’s protest today. If that diecision within the team contributed as a disruptive factor in their preparation and concentration on the game, it was worth the sacrifice of a likely group stage exit. It’s the one World Cup early exit that half of the fans at home here can get behind

3 Likes

Proud of Nancy Faeser

2 Likes

Where are the fashion police when you need them… Who wears white trainers with a suit… Lock him up until after the WC has finished, that should solve a lot of the issues surrounding the armbands

2 Likes

Only just hearing about this. As a Neuköllner I’m saddened.
It’s a marked contrast to NYE in Sydney.

1 Like

Unfortunately already used by right wingers to whip up more fear and hatred.

1 Like

That is very sad. I have vivid and fond remembrances of New Year celebrations in Berlin when I lived there. There was no violence at all at the time from what I can remember (roughly twenty years ago).

1 Like

I havs just seen the above.

Did one NYE in Berlin and it was fucking bonkers!! I hope they leave it alone…I was looking forward to taking my boys one day!!

For the German based Reds. This is doing my head in, with my language tutor and other resources

When you write emails, letters etc, are you writing in präsens and when you are talking about the past, are you writing it Perfekt or präteritum?

Äähh, sorry…I don’t know German THAT well :thinking:

Anyone got GCSE German equivalent on here :sob: :joy:?