Get lost and find yourself! The Travel Thread

I wonder where you are thinking of. It won’t be the cathedral, there aren’t any bars under the ptotestant or catholic cathedrals on Unter den Linden. It was probably a church somewhere.
I’m not into the goth scene, Germans call them ‘gruftis’ (crypties) which fits with churches, graveyards etc, so I may have missed that one.
When was this? And any idea of which part of Berlin? East? West?

Favourite Beach - Wild Coast, Transkei
Favourite vibe - Riviera Maya is pretty cool
Favourite City - Budapest or Cape Town
Favourite Food - Bobotie, Macaroni Cheese, English Breakfast, Roast Dinner (chicken or lamb), Beef Stroganov
Favourite Drink - A smooth IPA or G&T
Favourite Bar - Pretty much any swim up bar in the Caribbean.
Greatest view - Watching the sun rise over Mt Kilimanjaro from the peak of Mt Meru was special. Most views in Africa are stunning though as well as the Austrian/Swiss Alps.
A place to which I would never return - none. I think I’d return to every where I’ve ever been, but there are so many places I haven’t yet seen that I’d want to go to first.

Places I want to visit: Japan, India, Egypt, Brazil, Costa Rica, Singapore, Maldives, Madagascar, New Zealand - not necessarily in that order.

2 Likes

Mid 2000’s not too far from Rosa-Luxemberg Platz, from memory 10 or 15 minute walk, although it was with an Aussie mate whose former boss (also Aussie) is now running the St Chistophers there and the pair of them took me there, although it was 1 of many bars we graced with our presence that weekend

1 Like

Byron Bay? Fuck off. Formerly a second rate hippy town now much the same just with ‘insta influencers’ and Sydney eastern suburbs agro without the upsides… Way better places up and down the coast instead.

Favourite vibe: (for a visit) New York - Upper West Side or Chelsea or hills surrounding Aix-en-provence
Favourite beach: (for sentimental reasons) Lady Martins; (for a paddle and dolphin/shark encounter in privacy) Guerilla Bay; (for access to civilisation while still screaming holiday) Main Beach Noosa.
Favourite City: Adelaide. Sydney or London are brilliant with enough cash
Favourite Food/Beer: Cheese! Probably an epoisses twinned with a coopers best extra stout. Or a homemade spicy margherita with a young shiraz like a bin 389.
Favourite bar: Kareela Hutte, Thredbo for the promise of pre apres.
Greatest View: Duff Reserve or Milton Sound
A place I have no interest in ever returning to - LA

1 Like

Are we having too many threads :thinking:

Anyway, why don’t you people post photos???

Sorry I searched and didn’t see that one. Here’s today

2 Likes

Considering what’s happening at home right now, better off where I am.

Do it, then delete the thread. I’ll post in the other one linked instead

Favourite vibe: Copenhagen
Favourite beach: Platja de Castelldefels, Barcelona
Favourite City: London, particularly being an Anglophile, is great fun.
Favourite Food: NY Pizza Suprema. Best pizza I’ve ever had and I’m a pizza snob.
Favourite Beer: Guinness. Cliche, sure, but I make no apologies for it.
Favourite bar: The Clock, Dublin
Greatest View: West Quoddy Head, Maine. Homer pick but I don’t care. That part of Maine reminds me of Europe, and my folks think I was born on the wrong continent.

Wish list: NI (Belfast, Derry); Ireland (Cork, Limerick); Berlin; Venice

1 Like

The best pizza is in Saskatchewan.

I kid you not.

Always remember going to a heavy metal bar when I was about 18. My mates all bailed because of the shit music/strobe lighting. I stayed bit was full of nutters I felt I had to stay to look after the girls we had came with.

Actually turned out to be a good night, they had a skateboard ramp in the club (it was weird). It was dark, flashing lights, everyone was drunk and the humour of watching people fall off their skateboard. We would all cheer. Turned out to be a good night.

Cafe Bankeråt in Copenhagen was very different. Kinda weird arty/creep vibe. Good atmosphere though

2 Likes

Favourite Beach - Gili Trewangan, Lombok, 30 years ago. Had the beach to ourselves.
Favourite vibe - San Fransisco was cool, exciting and welcoming when I went there. Even the supposedly dangerous areas were fun and were not particularly dangerous. According to comments above perhaps it isn’t the same now.
Favourite City - New York. Of all the cities I’ve been to, it’s the one I most want to go back to.
Favourite Food - I don’t have to go far to get my favourite food. It’s all here in Japan.
Favourite Drink - Long Island Iced Tea in Mad Dogs, Hong Kong (if it’s still going). That’ll get the evening off to a flier. Failing that, any really cold beer would do.
Favourite Bar - Don’t really have one, but you ever go to Kyoto I’d recommend going to Pub Africa.
Greatest view - On Bali. Seeing the sunrise over Mt. Agung (a huge volcano) while standing on the crater rim of another volcano, Mt. Batur.
A place to which I would never return - I have to second the nomination for New Orleans. Bad memories of that place.

Places I want to visit: Istanbul, Lisbon, Zanzibar and Knotty Ash.

3 Likes

Hi, I asked my friend from Saskatoon if this was true and she said the pizza is ‘nothing special’.

Best pizza I ever had was in Lancaster.

I’m from there. I’ve had pizza all over the world - Rome, New York, Chicago, Toronto, etc etc, and the best is in Saskatchewan. I’m on my way to Canada now. When I return, I’m bringing a frozen pizza back with me so my family can enjoy it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Surprisingly, Toronto had bad pizza, at least when I lived there, which was some time ago. Toronto has a large Italian community.

At the risk of sounding like a 19 year old Australian girl, do any of you have experience with Interrail?

I’m moving to NYC in the autumn, so I have some time to kill and a notion to travel Europe by train whilst I have the chance. I’m thinking two to three months. My route in progress is: Berlin - Prague - Vienna - Bratislava - Budapest - Belgrade - Sarajevo - Zagreb - Ljubljana - Venice - Rome - Milan - Marseille - Barcelona - Paris - Brussels - Bruges - Amsterdam.

Does anyone have any recommendations for smaller towns/cities/villages roughly along this route? A couple hours out of the way either side is fine.

(For what it’s worth, I know the UK, Portugal, Spain, France and Scandinavia well enough).

2 Likes

Can’t add anything useful (I’m sure others will though) but am envious - sounds like a lovely trip!

2 Likes

When in Prague it’s worth taking a trip to Cesky krumlov. Fantastic small town I believe Unesco protected. Great castle and used in few movies.

When in Italy I would really recommend going to Lake Garda. (Few hours from Milan). Spend a full day hoping on and off the ferry’s hoping between the small villages.

Also Sorrento and Pompeii are easy to get to from Rome. (Avoid Naples) .

It’s also worth considering an alternative route via Croatia (where they shot much of game of thrones) . Beautiful country, and from memory you can use inter rail to catch the ferry to Italy.

In the south of France, make sure you stop at carcassonne

Personally I would skip Bratislava and go straight to Budapest.

3 Likes

hire a car from Milan (we used Europcar, It was $300CAD for a compact for 8 days about 7 yrs ago) and do the drive along the western coastline (Portofino) then turn inland at Pisa and sightsee Tuscany for a week. we returned the car in Rome. Loved driving through that area, so many unique little villages and sights to see in the Siena>Firenze>Montepulciano area that I wanted to live there.

3 Likes