Get lost and find yourself! The Travel Thread

isn’t Cinqueterre and Amalfi coast on that eastern side?

The Cinqueterre are on the Western coast, near to Genoa. Another great place. :+1:

1 Like

Right sorry. We blew past it to Portofino when we left Milan. Had a short window with sleeping baby in the car, planned our drives around his nap times so he wasn’t sleeping through everything like meals and such.

Need recommendations on a hotel in Leicester, preferably close to The Crown Banqueting & Conference Hall on Herongate Road. Budget is around £60 a night.

So got 4 days in early June, from 6th and looking at maybe Cornwell for a few days.

Any recommendations on things to do in Cornwell? PS needs to be accessable by public transport as I don’t drive

Don’t do Cornwall in June.

Don’t do Cornwall.

My girlfriend is absolutely in love with Portugal and is only half joking at pushing us to move there. So I sent her this yesterday

2 Likes

Okay, a more comprehensive answer, caveated by the fact that I’m more a nature traveller.

Cornwall is a very car-centric place, at least from my experience. Buses might not be frequent, and the train network isn’t that much better. The towns are nice, but getting from one to the other might be harder, especially without a car.

Now the other problem, in June, especially once you hit the school holiday period, you’ll see a lot of congestion. If you’re travelling by bus, you might be heavily affected.

2 Likes

Not much on the doorstep there. You’re not far from the City centre though and there’s plenty there. Ibis and Premier Inn right next to the station if you’re coming by train.

Ramada in the City Centre is in the Cultural Quarter so has a couple nice restaurants and bars right there if that’s what you’re after.

Relatively new Novotel right next to the shopping area which is where most of the away teams stay when they come to play Leicester.

The Belmont is a non-chain one we’ve put people up in for work before. Nothing fancy but not expensive and just a short walk to the city centre.

my wife returned from Spain a few weeks ago with Covid and a real interest in relocating there for a year or two.

I’m not so sure I’d enjoy working there. But, I guess we’ll see what happens.

Yeah. I grew up in coastal West Wales, and it’s exactly the same. For us, once you needed to go west of Swansea if you didnt have your own car you were fucked. And while the locals are comfortable navigating the tight windy roads, the grocels arent. And that is stressful, and made worse by the grief the locals will throw your way for blocking their roads with your insufficient driving skills.

We have one corner in our village that is on a really steep hill and basically a hairpin turn. To do it you have to be in first gear and utilize good clutch control and navigate cars coming the other way. In the summer and during bank holidays cars get stuck on it causing long jams behind on either side and it happens often enough that as kids we’d run teams of people who were responsible for jumping in, commandeering the cars and resolving the jams for them.

We both can work remotely. My only issue is time zones as I have a lot more of a requirement to work with my team than she does as she is relatively independent.

1 Like

Now that I’m in this thread anyway, anyone have any recommendations for somewhere to stay in Hereford?

ditto. I can work remote and do so about 50% of the time. However, relocating to EU would change my would hours by +8 and result in my working 3pm to midnight. family time effectively negated at that point, defeats the purpose.

I also did the unthinkable and applied for US citizenship. that doesnt preclude me from moving, but I will at least need to wait until that is resolved before leaving.

Cheers for that.

My original plan was to base in Newquay for some chilling on the beach, but do tend to get restless and bored if nothing to do, hence was looking for ideas of things to do if I decide I need to do something other than just lazing about

Favorite vibe: Ibiza.
Favorite beach: Whitehaven Beach - Whitsunday Islands
Favorite City: Boston
Favorite Food: Coddle
Favorite Drink : Guinness,Tequila .
Favorite bar: The Palace,Dublin .

on my list to see: NZ, Morrocco ,Chicago ,Cuba.

1 Like

so few people get to see that beach and walk on that beach. :slight_smile:

Why Chicago?

Paddy’s day.Been to New York and Boston and would like to finish off the trio.

1 Like