Gini Wijnaldum (CM) - PSG

Inter Milan are in competition for the signature of Wijnaldum with Barcelona . (Tuttomercato - in Italian)

1 Like

Would expect Juventus to be all over this

• Does he fit the system? Dunno

• Has he got the character we’re looking for? Haven’t looked into it.

• Is there a gap in his position? Erm…

• Is he free? Ticks all the boxes! Get this done.

11 Likes

He will regret leaving Liverpool and Klopp I know that much.

11 Likes

Yep.

We’re back now to the days when any player leaving Liverpool will inevitably follow a downward trajectory in their career.

I think he’d be mad to leave … but I’m obviously biased.

9 Likes

It’s an unfortunate scenario we find ourselves in now over this.

His current form could well put him in the category of our most valued player this season, such is his contribution thus far. I thought he was excellent against Spurs in particular. A few slight dips when asked to play in that deeper midfield role but to his credit he’s pretty much been an ever present during an utterly stupid season.

i think it will be a shame if he does decide to move on but you cant hold anything against him for doing so. He’s done his shift.

4 Likes

Inter would probably pay stupid wages and Milan is a nice place buthe won’t win trophies there.

2 Likes

I genuinely wonder if he feels loved by Liverpool fans because it took people like me a while to get to like him as a player (not as a personality, I’ve always thought he was great in that sense). I do think we love him as a player now and that majority of us would like him to stay. I know I would but who knows what’s going on inside his mind and what are his reasons behind not extending with Liverpool.

That said, a player who’s nigh on thirty years of age and who realistically has no reputation as a top class player simply because of his playing style will need time to win people over - unless he’s deployed in a role similar to the one he has in Netherlands team and starts banging them in for fun… But I don’t see the very top teams giving him such role. Maybe Bayern? I half jokingly said that he’d end up at Juventus simply because he’d be a free agent but I could actually see him working pretty well at Bayern.

In terms of sheer numbers and quality, they’ve lost Alcantara and will lose Alaba, he’s more reliable than any of their midfielders bar Kimmich (who got injured very unluckily). I really don’t like Bayern but I’d prefer him going there and being a first-choice player than being an option for Barcelona or Juventus because they wouldn’t have to pay a transfer fee for him.

3 Likes

It’s also the only club in the world he could move to that wouldn’t be a drop down in quality.

3 Likes

The thing is, he’s been amazing and is a vital piece of the team, but we are also at a point where if everyone is healthy it’s not at all clear he’s in our best 11.

1 Like

Not in our best 11? :exploding_head:

Gini has been doing Gini things for 3 or 4 years while other midfielders (Lallana, Keita, Ox) were injured rotatory, were inconsistent in form (Can, Lallana, Keita, Ox) or preferred playing other positions (Milner, Fabinho :grin: ).

Can anyone really see Keita or Ox staying injury free for 10 weeks or so?

As for Thiago - it doesn’t matter what he has done so far in his career. He has to prove it here now and in the near future. Stay in form and perform on the highest level. And with him instead of Gini our football will look different - less energetic - needs to be proven if we can be as successful with that change.

So yes, in theory and on Fifa Gini might not make it into our best 11 - reality looks different.

If he leaves it will be a massive loss and impossible to replace what he offers like for like.

10 Likes

I did see a glimpse of Keita being able to fill the roll of Gini in the game today, but clear fitness issues vitiate this.

1 Like

Think you need to calm down.

What he said is spot on and 100% accurate. What you said has nothing to do with what he said.

Over the course of a season with injuries, form, availability, covering other positions etc etc Wijnaldum being so reliable and always putting in such great work means he will always be an important player and will always play a lot. He is brilliant.

However what was said is 100% correct. If we were facing a game tomorrow with everybody 100% fit and in form Wijnaldum probably doesn’t make the starting 11.

He’s 4th choice number 6, but one has injury issues and another is covering at CB because of injuries there. Depending on who you use at the 6 and how much creativity you want from the 8s Wijnaldum probably doesn’t get a spot there either with fit and in form Thiago, Henderson and Keita all in with a shout of being picked over him if Fabinho is at 6.

Wijnaldum in reality will almost certainly always play because (as I’ve argued for years on here and TIA) the idea of a starting 11 doesn’t really fit the reality of the modern game and we are privileged to have him in our squad for exactly that reason.

3 Likes

I am calm. Just want him to stay :laughing:

If we’d play the CL final tomorrow and our whole squad would be fit and in form Gini would be a clear starter together with Hendo and Fabinho in midfield. 100%.

Keita and Thiago are not (yet) proven constantly for us.

And I don’t care about modern game, about tiki taka or Joga Bonito. We’ve won everything with our style and it looks like we can dominate (at least) the league with our style for a few more years. And Wijnaldum with the energy he offers is an pivotal part of us being able to play with that style.

2 Likes

Don’t get me wrong. I want Gini to stay also. He has been an incredibly valuable member of the team and a huge part of our success.

But Hendo starts, Thiago starts, when they are healthy. Which means Gini is competing against Fabininho, Keita, Ox, and a rapidly rising Jones for the 3rd spot in midfield

3 Likes

You’re overqualified for this forum.

7 Likes

Wijnaldum has been first choice midfielder since he signed, with only the CL semis at Anfield being notable exceptions (and he changed the game in both of those off the bench).

If everyone was fit tomorrow I’d pick Henderson and Wijnaldum without hesitation and deliberate on the third choice.

12 Likes

:-1:

Hendo, Fabinho and Gini start. This is the midfield that won us the CL and the PL. This is the proven midfield trio.

Yet to be seen if Thiago can make it here (I know how that sounds). Yet to be seen if we will be successful with his style.

1 Like

I think I’m edging towards a midfield 3 of Thiago, Henderson and Jones if everyone’s fit now. I really like that as a good mix. Fabinho at CB with Virgil.

Wijnaldum the versatile option on the bench.

[I should say that I really like those three as a potentially good mix, given that they’ve not yet played together!]

3 Likes

I like Wijnaldum and he deserves to start in the team now. He is fit, reliable, and a very good player indeed. I hope he signs a new deal and wins lots more silverware at Liverpool. In the future, assuming a fit and firing Thiago, a burgeoning Jones, and fit central defenders so Fabinho can be considered a midfielder, I’m not sure if Wijnaldum is in the best eleven. I didn’t mention Keita or Ox as I think Wijnaldum is ahead of them, but the others I mentioned I’m not so sure about. And the captain plays.

Still, all those variables are not likely to happen at the same time for a sustained period, and Wijnaldum will see plenty of action.

Here’s a pen Gini. Sign right here.

6 Likes

Which forum then? This is the best.

2 Likes