Gini Wijnaldum (CM) - PSG

All this is correct, but it means they are hiring as well.

3 Likes

Do we know for sure that Wijnaldum is being offered less time than Thiago agreed to? Seems like a huge assumption to me. What sounds more realistic (and fits previous behaviour of the club) is that the contract offered is incentivesed and the basic takes a drop in the last season or two. Therefore if Gini stops being picked as much (can’t earn his bonuses) towards the end of the deal he may have reservations. Or all that talk could be made up bullshit by journalists who know nothing but are paid to know stuff. In reality all parties involved may know exactly what is going on.

1 Like

Well, Gini knows what’s going on. How much he shares with the club and other third parties respectively is another thing.

6 Likes

True although if Gini has definitely made his mind up to move on somewhere in the summer I wouldn’t be surprised if him and Klopp have had an open and Frank conversation about it and the boss know exactly what Gini’s plans are (minus the club involved of course that OBVIOUSLY couldn’t possibly be finalised without ever so illegal tapping up)!

1 Like

It’s only unlawful if it’s without the permission of the club.

2 Likes

I think that’s likely AnfieldRd. Gini is saying ask the club because that allows him to obfuscate while the manager can also do likewise and say something nice about him. Expect it’s less about wages and more about contract structure (game time bonuses), questions about his playing position and just wanting to live somewhere warmer after so long in northern England. Think he could go to Italy or Germany (or even PSG) so not just limited to Barca.

1 Like

Given the speed of climate change, Liverpool will be far more agreeable than Barcelona by the time these contract negotiations are concluded.

4 Likes

Makes the case stronger to go there these days.

2 Likes

Is the dispute with Wijnaldum over length of contract? We have offered three, but he wants four years? I haven’t seen any confirmation of that, but just wondering if we know what the issue is?

If that’s what it is, I’m with the club. No long term contracts to players in their 30s. It will make a rod for our own back if we make an exception.

Three years for Wijnaldum at this stage seems fair. He is athletic and it is a decent length of time, and we are showing him we rate him and rate his prospects of playing at a high level for a good while yet. But four years just seems that much more dangerous to offer, and sets a precedent that others will seek to follow.

If this is the issue between Wijnaldum and the club, hopefully a solution can be found, as it doesn’t seem all that far apart.

2 Likes

Dunno, no one seems to know but the interpretations seem to fall with prejudice, so if you are into Gini more or the club, then blame for the failure to secure a deal seems to follow that, but no one knows. What was Milner offered when he joined, he was 30 was he not?

1 Like

I think it’s simply that Gini wants to see what other clubs offer. In January he will weigh up his options and decide. So we will know soon.
The club knows there is competition so surely will be offering a contract and situation to reflect that yet also taking into consideration who they have on the books and the future plans.
I really don’t think Gini is ‘blackmailing’ the club or that the club is undercutting Gini. The relation Klopp - Gini is still good so no worries imo. It will end how it ends in January.

6 Likes

Alright then :roll_eyes: probably.

1 Like

I believe he was 29 and got £100k?

Maybe with Gini there’s also the element that we have a few players of same/similar age.

2 Likes

How long was the deal?

1 Like

Can’t remember, probably the usual 4-year deal I imagine. I think he did take a wage cut in the meantime when he signed a new deal.

2 Likes

Milner got £140k/week and a nice signing fee.

2 Likes

And 4 years, was it, taking him to 33?

Yes, and he then agreed an extension, last year was it?

2 Likes

Club made an offer a long time ago which wasn’t good enough. Then hesitated to make a better one + Corona started and more time got lost.

In the meantime Gini had enough time to check his options as a free agent and on the pitch he proved the last doubters wrong.

But like I said, he knows exactly what Barca and Juventus would pay him as a free agent.

So, our club has to pay big now to make him stay.

For someone who won CL and PL (as a regular starter), Wijnaldum earned relatively small money in his career so far. Of course he wants this to be corrected now.

2 Likes

That’s true. For the majority of his career, he obviously wasn’t a player for that level. Took him a while for both club and country.

He didn’t get a new deal in one of his first two years with us (which often happens when a players comes in a does well) because then he wasn’t as good as in the last two. He went from Holland to bloody Newcastle and he’s still on that first contract with us.

And now I fully understand if he wants to see what’s on the table.

3 Likes