Gini Wijnaldum (CM) - PSG

Yeah if the money was 50m you think what can I do with this cash now and probably then allow Grujic as back up.

But Barca were sniffing at 15m weren’t they? Nah they can fuck off on that, when did they become Italian?

3 Likes

Meh. They say all sorts of things, then break your heart. :roll_eyes:

This post has sense. Other than a “can’t refuse deal”, there’s absolutely no point selling Gini. ALways available, knows the system inside out, can run hard for 90 mins, does the dirty work to allow our front three to thrive, pops up with important goals, has skill in abundance when needed, covers the left side superbly, consummate professional, and I could go on and on.

Henderson with a niggle, Thiago in covid action, MIlner being called into left back mode once again, Fabinho being first choice centre back cover with Matip having problem number 58, Keita finally stringing some games together, Curtis learning his trade, Shaq singing should I stay or should I go (then no doubt followed up with another one bites the dust as he pulls up in training), Grujic being available for offers…leaving Gini in the first eleven doing what he does best.

3 Likes

“Just ask Liverpool those questions. Don’t they answer?

“I cannot say anything about it, including whether or not there is talk of a new contract between me and Liverpool. Sorry.”

2 Likes

He’s just a bit pissed off that no one has wished him happy birthday,inconsiderate bastards

4 Likes
7 Likes

https://youtu.be/6UoSwID_dSw

1 Like

There are bits floating around on social media today the club has offered Gini a new deal with a 40% pay rise. I can’t seem to find a credible link. All sources go back to questionable outlets. ESPN and similar.

10 Likes

pay the man. even at an increase which would put him on £100k/wk, the club will not be able to bring someone in who would improve on his performance on that age (even if they pay him a good signing bonus). 4yr contract with an option for one more? or does he want to go home to Rotterdam and play for a home club?

I think he’s earned it, in spades. I’m sure the club values him as well and it’s a real head-scratcher that he’s not be locked into a new contract. Maybe Barca got their hooks into him, I don’t know. but I would think playing with his Dutch captain and with our midfield rotation, he is in physical shape to play until his mid-30’s.

6 Likes

Pay him, sign him up, and move on. Very good player.

Don’t know what his new salary would be, but if he signs a new deal I’m sure it will be significantly greater than $100k per week.

5 Likes

I am sure he will be looking at the 150k range which might be a massive pay increase but to be fair, will put him on par with Hendo and Milner, below players like VVD and even Thiago so its not far fetched and not ridiculous for him to ask that. The club would have their sums worked out of course so its up to negotiations.

But that is if it is purely a financial discussion. There might be other factors influencing Gini of course

3 Likes

Genuine question; why are people assuming that the Club hasn’t offered him an eye watering (to us) weekly wage that is fair in relation to his importance to the team, ability and age?

I find it bemusing when people say ‘just pay’ like it’s the Club’s fault. Sometimes players want to move for family reasons, career choices or more pay because of lesser tax somewhere else. It happens so it’s pointless gnashing our teeth about an outcome we cannot influence or even know the circumstances behind.

14 Likes

Simple: its really easy to spend other people’s money.

3 Likes

Specifically to your point, it would be timely content if one of the journos actually did ask the club. And not “do yoU hoPe Gini sTaYs?!” nonsense that was sheepishly floated to The Boss. Gini has said on two occasions, ‘ask the club about my contract’, yet no journo really has.

EDIT: I’m not a journalist by trade, and I don’t mean to oversimplify their jobs but I’m thinking for starters:

Q: Has the club offered Gini Wijnaldum a new contract? Is there currently an offer on the table?

Gini isn’t simply saying, I don’t want to talk about it end of, he’s specifically saying ask the club.

1 Like

Think you have misunderstood and putting the wrong slant on it. He was saying it’s the clubs position to announce any updates regarding his contract/departure.

3 Likes

This really has just become club v player in many of our minds; and we dont know. I dont see much consideration given to his personal ambitions, but I know you did raise that some months ago. Its just terribly frustrating to not retain a player of this quality. But there are a long line of Dutch greats that have turned out for those Catalan bastards.

2 Likes

I was under the impression that the stumbling block in negotiations was the length of contract the club was willing to offer , but considering we just gave Thiago one , surely a precedent has already been set ?

What seems more likely to me at this point however is his desire to try something new. I expect he will leave , but would love for him to stay.

1 Like

If you were a pro footballer I honestly dont know why youd go barca or real at the moment. They are both a complete fucking mess. Messi is leaving barca and looks like Zidane will be sacked by Real.

2 Likes

As a sporting prospect neither of them are what they were. In terms of trying a new league, country, city, lifestyle in the sunshine… lovely.

If Koeman is any sort of consideration for Wijnaldum’s next move, it looks to me like he won’t be there for very long as they are well past their peak. It is a team in decline and it needs a reset and rebuild.

Arguably Wijnaldum might fancy going there after they’ve had a clear out, so he would be one of the senior players to help bring through a new batch of youngsters?

As a sporting proposition, LFC have every chance to compete for the Prem and CL each season until Wijnaldum retires, so he will struggle to match that if he moved on.

5 Likes

I said the same exact thing. It’s mildly surprising to me the club would commit 4 years to Thiago, with his checkered injury past, who is only 6 months (to the day) younger than Gini. :man_shrugging:

That said, this is my last post on the subject then I’m going to just enjoy Gini while we have him and what will be, will be.

7 Likes