Gini Wijnaldum (CM) - PSG

Gini has been excellent for us over the years and provided brilliant service but I fear that his overall contribution, which has been great, is starting to grow to mythical proportions. Even seen a comparison to Seedorf on here.

Would like to see him stay.personally but if he doesn’t then it’s the way it is and I’m not going to be slamming the Club about it especially when reliable sources have stated that the Club have offered him an extended contract on good terms.

3 Likes

I see that the Mirror quote a report from Calciomercato that Liverpool made Wijnaldum a contract offer of £115k/week back in November, 3 year deal

Those are the same terms as was originally offered in or around May 2019, AFAIK. The variables may be slightly different now and I wouldn’t be surprised if any new offers have included options to extend that can be exercised by the club or Gini given he would like a longer deal than 3 years.

3 Likes

I’ve heard he doesn’t like the socks to our red kit and is waiting for confirmation that next season they’ll be different.

4 Likes

Thanks @Kopstar. Reading all of that and taken with a grain of salt, if the offer was indeed 115/wk (offered only one month ago) I still understand why Gini rejected or not signed. Still slotting him under Hendo, Millie, Ox, and Keita in midfield. It’s a fair offer from the club, my personal opinion it’s risky to turn that down but I still get why it wasn’t signed.

Ignore those, they aren’t being used as the barometer. Gini’s agent is looking directly at the 4 year, 192/wk commitment given to Thiago in September.

So all that said, when/if Gini moves on at the end of the season, there should be no hand wringing from anyone. The club offered what they thought fair and it might not be in line what his value elsewhere. Gini leaves here a PL and CL champion having played a significant role in both. We couldn’t have done it without him.

2 Likes

Being offered less than 2 players who spend less time on the pitch than a person who’s allergic to roofing, tarmacking and golf is a bit of a kick in the teeth.

2 Likes

Ox and Keita are paid too much due to their injuries. Can’t just raise everyone else’s wages to compensate.

1 Like

If Ox and Keita are paid more than Wijnaldum that seems off to me, since Wijnaldum does much more for us. Hopefully this sort of scenario is why our contracts are moving more in the direction of adding a bonus reward on top of a solid base. The base is good money. Multi millionaire on that basis, actually. But then the base is significantly augmented for appearances, winning, and possibly other performance related things.

On a tangent, but just wanted to comment on the possibility of a goalscoring bonus. If strikers get a goal bonus I don’t personally like it, as it could encourage greedy play on the pitch. Bobby Firmino, bearing down on goal, could score, but instead squares it to Mo, who rolls it into an empty net. Mo gets a bonus? Now flip the scenario. Mo bears down on goal. Takes the shot, doesn’t score, Bobby was square and a simple pass would have yielded a goal? Basic illustration, but just trying to show the potential problems with attaching too much bonus money for scoring a goal.

Other variables… Robbo does a world class cross, the likes of which very few can do. Mo has an easy header from a couple of yards out. What deserves more bonus? Now factor in other things like Virgil Van Dijk key tackle, Alisson great save, Hendo covering for an advanced fullback, etc.

It is hard to quantify individual actions in a game and determine what bonus should be awarded. So it seems to me that the bonus money should be heavily weighted to appearances and wins as a team.

And circling back to Wijnaldum, he has been pretty much an ever present in a winning Liverpool team for 2-3 years, so I can understand some frustration if the likes of Ox and Keita are more highly rewarded.

Final comment on this. We’re all grown ups. It’s football and as fans we are emotionally invested. For the player and the club, it’s business. It is a simple employer/employee negotiation, the like of which goes on all day every day in other industries.

Employee thinks he is worth x. Maybe employer agrees. Or maybe they negotiate, both knowing that the variables in play include staying or leaving. No malice, just professional, each working for their own interest, and trying in good faith to find a mutually agreeable outcome.

I hope Gini stays. I’m a fan. I’m invested.

But if he goes, good luck to him, and at that point, for me at least, neither club nor player did anything wrong, it just came to an end and they went different ways.

2 Likes

honestly, one’s compensation is only as good as their negotiator.

Gini signed the contract, and that’s guaranteed for 5 years. if he didn’t sign a contract renewal then that’s his prerogative.

right, Emre Can? where are you now, fella?

1 Like

I think if there’s no ongoing rumours, this thread should be locked and all discussions should be in the player thread.

Looks like Gini has rejected the offer yet again. Think he will leave. Will always be hailed along with Origi for the comeback against Barca.

1 Like

https://www.todofichajes.com/wijnaldum-rechaza-la-ultima-oferta-del-liverpool-quiere-ir-al-barca/

Wijnaldum rejects Liverpool’s latest offer, wants to go to Barca

According to the information we handle in TodoFichajes Wijnaldum would have rejected the last renewal offer. The Dutch international does not want to remain in Liverpool and wants to freely choose his next destination.

The player would have already decided to play in Barcelona next season, where he will arrive at zero cost in summer as the first signing of the new season.

Is TodoFichajes a reliable source, or is it just a Barca mouthpiece?

1 Like

Hopefully the situation will be less toxic when he arrives in Barcelona. Cynically speaking, I would prefer that he chooses Barcelona; because unlike it Bayern or JJ would be able to utilize his talent and temperament.

1 Like

Nobody is bigger than the club and if he wants to leave: good luck. He played some good matches and scored important goals for us and I thank him for that but let’s not pretend s 25-year-old Messi is leaving us.

Others can do what he can.

4 Likes

Wank wank wank (12 characters)

3 Likes

I agree we need a hobby thread.

3 Likes

I want him to stay, but if he goes, I won’t lose any sleep over it. Good luck to him, but it will all end in tears. He’s leaving Liverpool, the Premier league and World Champions, to be coached by a failed Everton manager. Gini needs to give his head a wobble and sign the contract on offer.

10 Likes

Probably right, but it all bears an air of inevitability especially with the signing of Thiago. £115k a week, if correct, is below his market worth.

3 Likes

Our wage structures really don’t work that way so never believe anyone who puts a definitive wage. Best anyone can do is provide a base figure rising to a maximum figure based on performances and doubt the club ever release that level of information.

1 Like

Unless its you arguing he should have accepted a ‘great’ contract 2 years ago? Hmmm whats that smell.

1 Like

I never said an amount. The club has a set process it offers players contract extensions when they have 2 years left on their deal. An important player like Gini whose original contract was a punt on a relegated player not really fancied but was a regular by then in a top team. It makes no logical sense and flies against all evidence, past behaviour and 90% of reports to believe we didn’t do so. If he had taken that pay rise he would be negotiating again this summer over another. For arguments sake that contract 18 months ago wasn’t what he thought acceptable due to his level of playing time or whatever but it still would have been a pay rise which coupled with another one this coming summer would have meant a steady increase in pay for him and committed contract to LFC. That’s my stance and the limit of it.

2 Likes