Gini Wijnaldum (CM) - PSG

My Arsenal friend told me great player always injured when we signed him

Not sure but he was on £400k a week… Insane, he’s worth a quarter of that value!

1 Like

Not right now though. I have a family member who lives in Barcelona since some time, and due to the Covid situation, it’s a complete shit-show. He witnessed with his own eyes how people living in his street were brutally ousted from their homes because they couldn’t pay their rent anymore: families with children, old people, the whole lot. By the police. It’s f°©∆¡~@ disgusting, and a clear sign that all is not well there. A lot of people suffer a lot.

I know that Gini would never see something like that in his neighbourhood, but if you add in how their recent dreams of independence have fallen in tatters, there is apparently a lot of toxic atmosphere in the city now. I wouldn’t want to live there right now, and I’m not sure that it will become much better in the next times.

(The city is still beautiful of course, no discussion about this.)

3 Likes

Weird deal in the first place, yeah. Juve have lost me with a lot of their decisions in the last 2 years or so.

1 Like

Maybe Ronaldo likes playing alongside Welshman in his squad?

Good perspective on current woes in Barcelona, Hope in your Heart.

Hopefully the covid stuff will ease in the coming months, I don’t expect to pre covid, but enough that people will have more of a taste of what they used to do in life. Beyond that, wealthy footballers live in a different world, and don’t really encounter many of the struggles that everyday people have.

Still, Barcelona not what it was, as a football team or a city, even two yrs ago. It will give Gini food for thought, but his next move is probably already all agreed anyway.

1 Like

#breakingnews:

Gini will be staying at Liverpool afterall. his representatives/agents were doing there job by telling liverpool/FSG that if we make #ChampionsLeague he will stay, and held fast all season long.
now that we have made the #UCL its seems its now just a matter of working out the deal, pay rate + bonusses + benefits, and long term prospects.

i’m speculating a 5 year deal.

#woohoo!

Sources???

1 Like

Rubbish. Why would he and Jürgen make such public farewells if they knew there was a chance he’d stay? Doesn’t make any sense.

6 Likes

:joy: It feels like he realized we have got in Champions League after he returned back home

I’m speculating that’s bollocks.

9 Likes

I don’t think Gini himself is sure that he would be signed by Barca. If somehow Koeman gets booted out of Barca, then Gini may not even make it there. All he does know and what he mentioned in the interview is that from next month onwards, he won’t be a Liverpool player (because he hasn’t signed with anyone).
I just hope he stays on as I think he’s difficult to replace… even tho Fab, Thiago and Hendo are in front of him

1 Like

In my opinion it is quiet clear, Klopp wants Gini to stay and that Gini wants to stay - whether this is because he has not received the offers he was expecting I dont know. However, reading into his interview he was given some kind of assurances which weren’t upheld.
Look, he is not everyones cup of tea, but he is the ultimate professional, Always available and very consistent. He comes across as a very genuine, loveable guy and I do hope something can be agreed.
If not, then I wish him 100% the best (apart from if we come up against him). My concern, is like with Lallana we are losing an important member of the Squad in terms of leaders!

2 Likes

Gini posted a goodbye message on his Instagram. He’s gone. Definitely no 5 year contract coming

2 Likes

It’s an odd one. Can’t understand why he hasn’t got a contract signed for elsewhere. Surely he’s not going to be without a club on 1 July? Ironically he may end up having to accept an alright contract elsewhere which he previously turned down here even though he professed he didn’t want to leave.

3 Likes

He said he hasn’t signed a deal yet. What I would presume, is that he has agreed a deal. Rumour is that he wants Bayern. They are quiet weak in midfield in depth so it could happen. If the rumours are true he wanted more money here I think he’s in for a shock elsewhere. Don’t think he will get much more than he is on now. Then again free transfers usually get good wages etc Milner. Hope it works out for him. But don’t think he will get that Virgil/Salah wage he’s after elsewhere

1 Like

I am sure GIni has contracts sitting in front of him and now that the season has ended, he can take a short break and think which one he is going to sign. It would be hard pressed to think that no one is interested in a Dutch International who has won the CL and PL with great attitude and personality and who actually plays pretty well. Top German, Spanish and Italian teams would be amongst those who would be interested. I am sure there would even be those Middle Eastern teams and “lesser” leagues like French etc who would have teams interested. In short, he has options and does not need to rush. I am sure he will announce it soon.

3 Likes

I really dispute your point of view.
Gini, over the length of his time being a Liverpool player he has been a very important part of our squad, always available and very consistent. His reported salary is a basic of 85k per week. Taking into consideration the above mentioned and the fact he is our 4th inline captain, voted on by the squad I would expect him to have a better contract.
You mention Milner in your comments about Gini and then also speculate about him wanting Salah/VVD type salary. Can you provide me with quotes that he has asked for these figures?
As I stated above, you referenced Milner in getting a good salary (reportedly 140k a week) as he was out of contract and yet Gini is now on a Bosman, so out of contract, meaning we lose him on a free. So why should he not ask for a higher salary??
Additionally, how much will the club spend in replacing Gini?

3 Likes

Em It’s rumoured Millie is in such. Wouldn’t surprise me if he was (usually the case with free’s). Gini is well within his right to ask for more, obviously the club disagree. But rumour has it that he values himself as important as Virgil etc so wants similar. I’m not disputing his worth though, just saying what I feel is going on.

3 Likes

Again, where is the substance to these rumours?

1 Like