Gini Wijnaldum (CM) - PSG

A lot of rumor and speculation in the contract numbers…

Given Gini has run his down it seems almost certain he has interest at a salary the club are not willing to match - even though Klopp clearly appreciates what he still has to offer on the field.

4 Likes

There’s none, hence rumours.

2 Likes

I don’t think the main issue or sticking point was money alone,i think we probably offered him a slightly higher weekly wage to what he’s earning now but from what i’ve read (mostly rumours),it was more down to him wanting a longer term contract than what we were willing to offer.

4 Likes

It certainly could have been years more than $. At 30 contracts get very tricky because the club never knows exactly when a player is going to lose that step that matters.

A sad and sucky part of sports, but big picture it’s almost always better for the team to let a player go a year too soon than a year too late.

1 Like

It’s only a guess, but with Gini being 30 yrs old, the club probably only offered him a two year contract and maybe he was after one for 3 or 4 years. Either way, I don’t see why a compromise couldn’t be agreed, if he wanted to stay and Klopp wanted to keep him.

4 Likes

Don’t know how he survives on that. Hard knock life

4 Likes

I expect that Naby, Shaq and Joel throw him some cash for doing their fitness training sessions for them.

2 Likes

Thiago was Gini’s replacement.

7 Likes

Going to Barca on lower wages than here.

So much of Liverpool and the lure of Barca’s of this world.

The guy will possibly never earn more than £100k per week.

But I’ve no doubt he’ll at least get a nice signing on fee.

1 Like

Has the length of his contract been revealed? If he accepted a lower basic wage (he likely won’t be earning many goal-related bonuses), maybe that was the reason why he couldn’t agree an extension with Liverpool? That said, Barcelona are getting a 30-40 million pounds player on a free, they probably can afford a heftier signing-on fee.

2 Likes

Romano says it’s a deal until 2024.

2 Likes

To be fair, we offered Ox less than what Chelsea were offering and less than what he was on at Arsenal purely because of the lure of playing for us, so can’t complain when one of our players does something similar - as much as it sucks to have it happen

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m not complaining. It’s the reality. Not always, but often. Especially in this era. Barca still means one of the very top places in the world.

4 Likes

Thats probably the important part… If he gets £10mil singing on fee over his 3 year contract he’d be getting an additional £65k a week basic.

You maybe right as they play a similar role. Gini is more of a ball carrier and breaks up play well - as does Thiago but in different styles. However, I think we will replace him which is why we ate being linked with (loosely I admit) Bissouma?

And the other part that needs to be considered is the lifestyle and weather in Barca compared to UK. I know which I would prefer to live in if I had the luxery of being able to make that choice.

2 Likes

Barcelona itself is one big tourist trap, I’ll take Madrid, a much more authentic Spanish city, over them every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

1 Like

Now, this is odd. Three year deal on reduced wages? Maybe he just wasn’t keen on staying at Liverpool anymore.

4 Likes

Presumably that isn’t the full money he would get - i.e sign on fees and bonuses? The sticking points we were led to assume was on contract length/wage. What Romano says doesn’t appear to match that though…

1 Like

Is that true?