Gini Wijnaldum (CM) - PSG

I suspect this is exactly the clubs stance on it and why there is an impasse. I still come down on the side of “he’s a great player and wonderful for us to use a lot whilst here but I don’t want to see £30+ million walk out the door in exchange for 9 months of football we can cope without”! If it was VvD, Salah, Mane, Alisson I may decide different. They’re the ones we would need to go to market in a big way if they were leaving and that’s something we can’t really do now. Every other player in the squad we could cope, maybe tweak things tactics/formations etc but cope.

1 Like

Just go with 4 years plus an option of a further year exercisable by either party at the end of year 3 if certain metrics are met in that 3rd year.

4 Likes

I see that Barca have handed Alena the #6 who was Todibo’s number. Maybe he’s their backup plan to be kept as 4th central midfielder if they don’t get anyone new in this window.

Not sure whether reports on Gini rejecting the contract offer are true. If reports are true - any thoughts on Dembele and Gini swap deal as Fabrizio Romano has stated that we were in for Dembele with an offer to buy after a 1 year loan…

1 Like

Liverpool were (if it’s true at all) interested in Dembele last June. Bloody Fabrizio is mentioning us just for click bait.

2 Likes

There was a time I wanted us to sign Dembele, however that time was before his move to Dortmund and subsequent injury and behavioural issues. I wouldn’t have him anywhere near our squad now.

2 Likes

It’s on Sky he’s rejected the contract. If Barcelona are not allowed to sign him, as was reported this week, then he stays and goes on a free next summer.

What does that mean, considering he’s on £90k (and he got that while arriving from relegated Newcastle, playing in Holland before that and not yet being a fully established international)? There is no set wage for the rest of the team. If he’s aiming for the very top earners, nah, he’s doesn’t earn it.

2 Likes

From his point of view, I think that is a fair request, considering he has been on just 75K supposedly, I think he will be looking to double that based on his contributions to the team in the last 2 seasons.

However, from the club’s point of view, that might not represent good business, I think if we eventually could not agree on a new contract with Gini, its neither’s fault because I think both sides have good reasons to ask for what they are asking for, but its probably a matter of wrong timing that an agreement cannot be found.

It means that the pundit doesn’t know what he’s talking about :slightly_smiling_face:

For me Gini’s concerns are mostly about playing time. Alongside that is the potential attraction of experiencing something new.

4 Likes

Supposedly he only earns 75K per week, even lower than Shaqiri. I think he would be looking to be paid the same as Milner and Henderson at 140K thereabouts and in terms of age and importance of contribution, he cannot be faulted for asking that. But of course the club has to consider all facets of a contract

2 Likes

Your assuming that is what he is asking for and that the club are not willing to pay that. All indications until now have been over playing time, not money. I think it unlikely, even if true, someone would leak to Sky the money factor given how both sides have respectfully handled the discussions.

Like @Kopstar says, this is most likely click bait from sky.

3 Likes

Not signing a new improved contract means you stay on what you are earning so the claim doesn’t make sense,it’s not rocket surgery

6 Likes

Definitely a player who can not rely on bonuses. It’s where our wage system breaks down.
Anyway I for one won’t be sad to see Gini move on.
So we have now gone through length of contract and arrived at wages sounds like he’s set his mind on leaving next summer and since a while.

Why? I though our bonus structure was a collective reward system rather than goals/assist based.

2 Likes

I’'l be sad to see him leave as he’s been terrific for us and a key player in our success,quiet and humble and a true top drawer professional.

15 Likes

Could be true, I have no insights that what I said is true, just responding to that post from Kopstar that if wages are a concern, I can understand why.

I thought it was a bit odd after been criticised by online trolls about assisting goals and shots on target he had more shots on target than any other player against the chavs.

Signing a contract on wages that is not “fair” to him would mean he is stuck with that for the next 4-5 years with no recourse especially in his probably last or 2nd last big contract in a top league. If he does not sign a new contract, he can leave for free next season with definitely more than he earns now and on top of that, definitely a huge signing on fee. But well that is if wages are a sticking point.