Giorgi Mamardashvili (GK) Valencia

Of course there is an injury concern with Alisson, he’s missed 30 PL games since 2020.

More than that I imagine that Alisson has probably indicated a desire to try something new. Maybe go back to Brazil before his body fails him or maybe he doesn’t want to play into his mid-30s. He’s won every trophy at Liverpool, I don’t think we’d be so loud as to buy a replacement without figuring out Alisson’s plan first.

1 Like

Not if Alisson signs a new contract.

The first choice GK generally plays the most matches.

And if we spend 30m on him where we find that he’s not going to be a replacement for Alisson in terms of quality , That’s not money that can be recouped.

Maybe the plan is to start rejuvenating the squad; everyone over 30 will gradually leave us and will no longer receive contract extensions etc

A wild guess considering the window we had - Alisson to Saudi for 100 million and we sign this guy as our first team Goalie this season :wink: :wink:

Terms agreed with the player, who is even keen on loan move to get game time. Hashing out the deal with Valencia.
https://x.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1823658707625894373

Implication from that info that Alisson’s contract, which runs out in 2027, will not be renewed

In fairness none of the youth team are good enough. I personally think Jaros could be in time but he’s clearly not seen that way by the people who see him daily.

Pitaluga is absolutely terrible. I don’t want to be mean but he’s the worst GK, considering the hype he had, I’ve seen at youth level for us.

Mrozek, Ojrzynski, Davies… none have really shown anything impressive.

So for first team potential I think its just what we have Alisson, Kelleher and Jaros. If Ali has indicated he’d like to leave before the end of his contract (2027) then I don’t have a problem with getting in a new keeper, even if it is to loan them out.

I’d be interested what in particular draws us to Marmadashvili given that his stats on the ball don’t seem too impressive but then again Kelleher was atrocious on the ball when he first came through and he’s pretty good now so maybe they think its an area they can work with him.

2 Likes

Or that we take whatever we can get for him in 2025 or 2026, which should easily be more than what we paid for Mamardashvili.

Tbf, if we do sell that does mean his contract still won’t be renewed :wink:

3 Likes

https://x.com/AnythingLFC_/status/1823667916828483723

1 Like

It seems unlikely, but yeah sure maybe Alisson wants to go there next season and get paid £1m a week. We don’t really know but given how shrewd Edwards has been in the past I don’t think buying a goalkeeper is random.

I see people saying “so we aren’t renewing Alisson’s contract” as though that’s a failing of the club, or an indication of bring cheap, but Alisson will be 35 when his contract expires. I certainly don’t think we should be looking to renew at that point.

I also don’t want us to end this window having only signed a GK who will play for Bournemouth for a year or two so I hope other deal happen but in isolation I can see many reasons to get this done now.

3 Likes

If we follow the talk of opportunistic signings, then signing him only mean a few things. Kelleher is definitely leaving and one of the the younger keepers will backup Alisson this season. Alisson must have indicated to the management that he might be interested to move on after this season or next, back to Brazil or maybe the Saudis. Alisson does have a contract till 2027 so I think he will still stay here for this season and next and leave the club at the age of 33 and pursue the next stage of his career. This would be the only sense it would made at this point of time because I am not sure this guy is an immediate replacement but in 2 seasons after staying on loan somewhere, at 25, he would just be around the age where Alisson comes to us and with a good big league experience. And maybe the club thinks his value will only go up so they act now. But this is a highly strange scenario but lets see.

Why hope that there will be an elite goalie available in 3-4 years if you believe you’ve identified one at age 23 now?

5 Likes

I wonder how true that meme in general is though, sure there are those examples, but are they really the norm rather than the rare exceptions? I can think of Casillas, Cech, and Reina as counter-examples, who although they were/are still playing in the top leagues past their mid-30s, were widely acknowledge to be past their best by then.

Fair enough. Be helpful if he can get PL experience also.

Just be gutted to see Alisson go, but c’est la vie

Mamardashvili seems very highly rated. Young, on the up, good first team experience so far. If he has been identified as Alisson’s future replacement, bring it on. It seems like a shrewd move to plan ahead.

What are Alisson’s plans? Hard to say.

Perhaps he wants 1-2 more seasons at LFC, 1-2 seasons in Saudi for the dough and to experience the sunshine and life there, and 1-2 seasons to wind down his career back in Brazil. It would take him to his upper mid 30s.

Alisson is a gentleman and he has probably signaled his intention to the club to give us a chance to get ahead of it.

1 Like

Oportunistic written all over it given its probably our best set position right now.

No problem for me. Loan him straight out, if we need him in future he will end up here, replacing Kelleher or Ali season after next. Otherwise he will be sold for profit.

To me this is a decent move if we let Alisson wind down his contract I’m content him leaving at 35.

It’s kind of planning that I hope we see more.

Goalkeeper is also one of those areas you need to plan in advance.

1 Like

Alisson went public (or was it someone else?) with the fact if we didn’t keep his Brazilian coach, he would go elsewhere.
That’s hardly a strong commitment to pushing the LFC train in the next years.

This is good planning, proactive and not reactive.

1 Like

Sounds similar to Logans Run

This is carrying a lot of weight in that post

2 Likes