Giorgi Mamardashvili (GK) Valencia

Links popped up a couple of times throughout the window and now reported in Spain by Relevo (and a reliable journo for Valencia) that we’ve bid 35 million for him
https://x.com/sanchis14/status/1823629576393658869

Would be buying him with a view to loaning him out while Ali is still here, akin to Chelski buying Courtois but leaving him at Atletico for 3 years.

For those who value him, Romano has parroted this info

1 Like

1 Like

Is that now 312 keepers at the club?

Meaning Alisson contract wont be renewed next season or we have found a buyer for Kelleher?

I’m struggling to understand what this is all about too.

2 Likes

An in depth stats comparison of Mamardashvili, Alisson, and Kelleher

Some of the above stats as per 90s.

1 Like

There was talk Kelleher is wanted by Juve - but even then this deal is odd considering he is going out on loan. Unless they know Ali is off next season.

It certainly looks like “planning”, but I defer to the experts.

Pity Valencia are a shit midtable team nowadays so it doesn’t count, though.

A rare recent case of the club appearing pro active in identifying an up coming need and sorting it ahead of time instead of waiting for a gap to appear in the squad. I love Ali but, thinking cold heartedly; he’s just turned 30 and is injury prone for a keeper which is going to limit how much longer we have him for, plus any contract renewal will be expensive and for at most 3 years. Say he does sign a 3 year contract I would guess the plan is two more years of Ali as undisputed number 1 with Kelleher behind, and then in the third year Mamardashvili comes in to bed into the squad and play second fiddle in Ali’s last year before he goes off into the sunset and Mamardashvili assumes the 1

1 Like

Can’t be.

According to half of TAN, the club is hopeless at planning ahead.

9 Likes

GK and CB can’t really be judged by numbers, imo. Their performance is heavily influenced by the system they play in. However, I always prefer goalkeepers who have a commanding presence and good at claiming crosses.

Gk’s can play well into their 30’s at a very high level.

Unless the club think of selling Alisson or let him leave , Fail to see why we need to sign someone and then loan him out.

3 Likes

Exactly. GK’s easily play till 35 years at the very top level. Buffon, Neuer, Kahn, Van der Saar, etc, If you ask me the least position we need to even worry about for the next 3 years atleast. Unless we dont know about some injury concern with Allison this deal is baffling considering we havent signed anyone except Slot !!!

2 Likes

Which didn’t work out too well for Chelsea. Courtois didn’t really want to come and play for Chelsea after having got a taste of madrid.

1 Like

I’m confused Robbie.

Neither makes much sense. We don’t have the luxury to be spending (what is quite a lot of money for us) on a player that’ll be loaned out for a year or 2 when we have areas that need addressing now, what if he flops…what then? We’re stuck with a keeper on our books we no longer want before he’s played a game?

For sure he had a very eye catching Euros, so is it another one of those “opportunist signings” like we saw with Gakpo?

2 Likes

Club don’t buy a CB to replace van Dijk = They don’t know what their doing, pathetic, sunday league owners.

Club plan ahead for replacing Alisson = They don’t know what their doing, pathetic, sunday league owners.

10 Likes

In four seasons at Chelsea he won 2 PL. Also I doubt Bournemouth will have the same pull on a player as Madrid, I reckon we’re safe on the idea of him being lured in by a loan spell there.

1 Like

lol…how are they the same? You know GK isnt CB and he will be loaned out for 2 years minimum unless we dont give Allison a contract. We dont need to replace Van Dyk now - just give a 2 year deal along with Trent, Salah and Allison. Then sign player who will improve the team rather buying someone for 35 million (that too a GK )and loaning him out. Cant imagine how anyone can appreciate this move considering the Transfer window we have had so far.

1 Like

This does seems strange to me. Goalkeeper is the last position we need to worry about for another 3-4 years.

We do need some urgent succession planning for RW though!

1 Like