Good Cover Versions of a Favourite Song

The Clash - Police & Thieves (Official Audio) - YouTube

2 Likes

I’ve got some listening to do! :smiley:

Also with the Clash, I Fought The Law which I think was originally a post Buddy Holly Crickets single.

1 Like

I was just sorting through some CDs and came across “Butchering The Beatles” which was an album of Beatles covers by hard rock and metal musicians:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lRrn-4SvG4m5Et4vTCjFQ3HQ4EhZ5HaQA

It’s a bit mixed although I quite liked Alice Cooper’s version of “Hey Bulldog” and Lemmy’s “Back in the USSR” would have fitted nicely on a Motörhead album.

For the most point they avoided the Beatles songs that were a bit metal in the first place but the following two, I think, do them justice:

3 Likes

That Devo one is bonkers !

A song here which has been covered by dozens of artists , possibly most famously by Nat King Cole , although it was Tommy Edwards who had most success with it in 1958. Interestingly it is the only No. 1 single in the U.S. to have been co-written by a U.S. Vice President. (Charles G. Dawes).

Anyway , forget all that and just listen to this absolute killer version of it by Van Morrison. No other interpretation of it comes even close to this.

1 Like

The Clash - I Fought the Law (Official Video) - YouTube

Bobby Fuller Four - I Fought The Law(1966) - Bing video

1 Like

Too late, saw it
:joy:

The Sex Pistols - No Fun - 1/14/1978 - Winterland (Official) - YouTube

Another Rock n Roll classic , Gene Vincent’s Rollin’ Dany , this time by The Fall.

1 Like

We could be on a roll here … John Lennon with Ben E. King’s Stand By Me.

2 Likes

I really like Lennon’s Rock ‘n’ Roll album. It’s all covers and largely a contractual obligation album, but I suspect it was what The Beatles’ Get Back sessions should have been.

2 Likes

A lot of people think it’s the best thing he did … and when you compare it to Double Fantasy it’s not hard to see why.

1 Like

A few bottom lips quivering from the judges when they listened to this…!

1 Like

Shobsy.
This guy will be massive

1 Like
1 Like

A cracking version here of one of my favourite Tom Waits’ songs.

used to love that show. some of my favorites, both by the same Cassadee Pope

originally recorded by Natalie Imbruglia

originally recorded by Blake’s (at the time) wife Miranda Lambert. I like this better than the original.