Good Cover Versions of a Favourite Song

Phil Flowers aka ‘The Black Elvis.’

Memphis Soul Queen , Anne Peebles with a version of The Stones’ Miss you.

Tina Turner - Proud Mary
Joules - Mad World
Jonny Cash - Hurt
Guns and Roses - Knockins on heavens door
All along the watch tower - Hendrix
Over the rainbow - Israel “IZ” Kamakawiwoʻole

Could add “Nothing compares to you” sung by Sineade O’Conner but am not sure Prince ever released it after writing it…

2 Likes

written by Richard Rodgers, and covered by many…

but no cover is sung as good as these guys do it…

no.1 hit for sure if we ever released it onto vinyl/cd/download

2 Likes

that was at the end of the 4-0 Barca game, I think?

Approved by Lynyrd Skynyrd by sharing it on their own Facebook page.

1 Like
1 Like

3 Likes
3 Likes

Ike and Tina’s take on the Led Zep classic.

2 Likes

I’ve never heard this before despite being both a huge Bowie fan and liking the original Laurie Anderson record. Was this ever on an official record release? If I’m right it must be from around the time of the Earthling album?

Really brightened my morning!

1 Like

I wish I’d noticed this thread earlier. There’s some fascinating stuff on.

I was thinking about posting a Bowie cover. There have been loads over the year and many of his early songs were (originally) hits for others. Possibly the most covered is “Heroes”. I rather like this version, which uses the German version of the song “Helden”, by Rammstein’s Till Lindermann with the Finnish Heavy Metal Cello Quartet, Apocolyptica:

The same Finnish band also covered Rammstein’s Seemann with fellow East German lunatic, Nina Hagen:

1 Like

“You Want It Darker,” from the 2016 album of the same name, is indeed dark, maybe even one of the darkest, even by Leonard Cohen standards. The song opens with background chants that seem to be coming from the bottom of a well, immediately followed by a propulsive bass line that moves the song forward. In the capable hands of Melbourne Australia’s Anita Lester, the singer, songwriter, and artist who has been described as a female Nick Cave, the song starts to drift into a parallel universe that is slightly less dark, but in some ways even more startling. Where the original carries the same metronome-worthy meter through much of the song, with her version Lester increases the pace mid-song careening downward darker still until the flame is extinguished for good. – Walt Falconer

1 Like

originally recorded by Peter Frampton?!?!

originally recorded by Des’ree for Romeo & Juliet soundtrack

1 Like

Best version by a country mile - And one I’ve performed at many a karaoke after several pints.

Sid Vicious - My Way (Original and Complete Version) - YouTube

3 Likes

Ferry’s version is a lot better than the original IMO, and Devo’s version of Satisfaction is like an entirely different sing.

4 Likes

The Dickies - Nights In White Satin - YouTube

Dickies - Paranoid 26-7-1979 - YouTube

The jam - David Watts - YouTube

2 Likes