Good News Thread

Not a strictly fan.
Definitely a Bill Bailey fan.
Well done Bill

I recommend his Black Books series for those that haven`t seen it.

3 Likes

Yeah Black Books is a great series.

2 Likes
7 Likes

The Koala just reminded me of the John Oliver story on Last Week Tonight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgRurZ5gdSw

4 Likes
9 Likes

Good to see she has healed the rift with her family
1 Like

Happy retirement, Ms White! Wow, what a life of service.

1 Like

Hmm. Dual species ice dancing. I’ve heard of this. Here come the scores. 8.7, 9.1, 7.2 (from the Russian judge, bastard), 8.5, 9.3.

3 Likes

Good for you, Anthony. So does that mean you ate the liver with fava beans and Perrier?

7 Likes
5 Likes

I have never been able to find many stories worthy in putting into a Good News thread (I really don’t think, personally, that animal rescue videos and such count as actually “good news”, but that’s more of a personal opinion on what I view to be important and not, so for those who think that is good news, continue posting :)), but today I actually found a serious site that specialices in good news !

And actually, there has been a few (the site is in Norwegian so I am finding stories in English about the “good news” from that site).

Homosexuality has been decriminalized in Bhutan ! Slightly aged, but from 11 of December:

The EU has agreed to reduce Climate gasses with 55% within 2030. (see various news paper articles).

There are now more than double the number of elephants in Kenya compared to 1989. The focus on poaching has actually helped !

The number of elephant seals is up from the exceptionally critical number of only 20 females who give give birth, to more than 200 000 !

Black and white Rhinos are still critically endangered, but less so. It is not categoriced as endangered, but close to endagered. Human effort against poaching helps, even though it is slow work.
The Caretta Caretta turtle indigenous to Tunisia was down to only 11 nests in 1997. Tunisia has since then through a state program protecting the species, manged to now get it up to 40. Still critically endangered, but much less so.

5 Likes

continuing the animal rescue theme,

an orca to be more precise…

4 Likes

The Spanish lynx, long thought to be the first cat that would be eradicated in Europe since the sabretooth tiger, is no longer critically threatened. In 2002, there were only 94 individuals left of the entire Iberian Lynx species.
Now it is up to 855 at the end of this year ! So conservation policies have helped :slight_smile:
https://verdensbestenyheter.no/nyheter/naere-trist-sabeltigerskjebne-men-spansk-gaupe-er-naa-reddet/

8 Likes

Yes, this is perhaps one of the best conservation success stories in recent times. However, we must remember that all these animals share a small gene pool and susceptible to extinction.

1 Like

Good to hear but not quite, I’m pretty sure. Going purely by memory but I am confident there was a European lion population, if not perhaps in Western Europe but at least as far west as Greece and the Balkans up to about 1000BC or so. Sabre tooths died out at least 10 000 BC.

3 Likes

You are absolutely correct. In Iberia and Greece/Turkey (this includes old Makedonia) even later.
I was in a rush and should have doubled checked before more or less copying what an article said. Had a nice read now about lions, so thanks for that ! Makes a lot of sense that lions excisted in Ancient Greece and were not all imported from north Africa.

2 Likes

And, of course, the Manchester cheaters are still going strong.

I’ll get mi coat.

6 Likes

Biontech develops vaccine against multiple sclerosis!!

The Mainz-based company publishes groundbreaking research results in the scientific journal “Science”.

It will still take a while, maybe 2 years until they can start clinical studies, but they are cautiously optimistic.

9 Likes

Those Germans :thinking: Covid 19,MS,can they do the common cold next?

2 Likes

We need a vaccine against stupidity

5 Likes