Good News Thread

Continuing our animal theme.

3 Likes

Lula again…

https://www.commondreams.org/news/brazil-lula-plan-halt-deforestation-2030

1 Like
10 Likes

One of those stories that just brings such joy in the face of great sadness.

2 Likes
2 Likes

They’ve invented a totally new concept for wind powered boats! Why haven’t we thought of this before? Apparently, they’re going to call it ‘Sailing’, I hope that doesn’t mean a revival for that awful Rod Stewart dirge!

4 Likes

Just think of all the birds that will die as a result of slamming into the sails!!!

I never understood wind. You know, I know windboats very much. They’re noisy. They kill the birds. You want to see a bird graveyard? Go under a windboat someday. You’ll see more birds than you’ve ever seen in your life.
They’re made in China and Germany mostly, but they’re manufactured tremendous if you’re into this, tremendous fumes. Gases are spewing into the atmosphere. You know we have a world, right? So the world is tiny compared to the universe. So tremendous, tremendous amount of fumes and everything.
You talk about the carbon footprint, fumes are spewing into the air, right? Spewing. Whether it’s in China, Germany, it’s going into the air. It’s our air, their air, everything, right?

1 Like

Commander Cousteau built one of his boats, the Alcyone, with roughly the same concept (turbo-sails), around fourty years ago:

At the time, after successfully experimenting his new ship, Cousteau said that this principle could and should be used for cargos, for which speed isn’t of the essence. That was in 1985.

It’s certainly good news that we finally come to the point where this principle gets industrialized, but it needed almost fourty damn years to get there.

1 Like

There’s also the Manta by Veolia.

Wish they’d concentrate on picking up my rubbish instead.

They need publicity stunts like that boat due to their absolutely attrocious service to people and communities.

And I thought you were actually just Craig Johnston. It’s Donald fucking Frump. :scream:

6 Likes

We all need a bit of cheering up today…

6 Likes

I’m not a fan of pensioner dads, but the rest of the story is remarkable.

1 Like

Saw that and ignored it due to the headline - thanks for getting me to read it!

Things are truly grim at present and it is very hard to hold out any hope for humanity but I did find this which gave me some hope that all is not totally lost. It is going to be tough and I don’t expect a barrage of uplifting stories but do try guys.

6 Likes
2 Likes