Harvey ELLIOTT: 2022/23

Especially when the whole team stank the place out.

1 Like

Hype which is all generated by the selfish uneducated media this country has, which these players read and listen to with great satisfaction might I add, and all of a sudden they think theyā€™ve made it to the top of the footballing world.

Thank god the media never evolved properly until the internet was invented in the mid 80s, that '66 squad wouldā€™ve been nothing more than a mere afterthought today.

Back to Harvey, I love Klopp to bits and will could never utter a negative word in his direction but the kid needs to now be managed properlyā€¦no more being selected to start games until heā€™s learned his trade and certainly not in midfield. He doesnā€™t look like he understands what heā€™s brought into the team to do.

1 Like

He is having more than an odd bad game, he is having a good game once in a while IMHO. Besides, I donā€™t like two left-footed players behind each other on the right side of the pitch. Salah and Elliott have to turn to their left foot, and by that you never see a cross come in sweeping away from the goal that is much easier to head for strikers.

Heā€™s been hung out to dry by his coach. The level needed to play midfield for us is utterly insaneā€¦ Imagine trying to learn that all while the team is a disfunctional mess and in the middle of itā€™s own identity crisis.

It appears he is being asked to make some type of offensive triangle wiht Salah and Trent which leaves him miles up field in the forward right position then expected to be defensively sound?

The guys head must be pickled, itā€™s no wonder heā€™s making basic errors.

Players donā€™t just start making mistakes from nowhereā€¦ Itā€™s not just Elliot the whole team is a mess, there is no structure, players second guessing everythingā€¦

I agree that heā€™s being fast-tracked, asked to learn a new role on-the-fly in a spent team but I really, really want to see him watch Brentfordā€™s second goal a few dozen times until he realises that he shouldnā€™t be doing the stupid stuff when a basic, simple move would suffice.

Itā€™s not the first time he lost the ball in a dangerous position this season but the punishment of conceding a goal should be the best way for him to learn. Hopefully Jones comes back and stakes a claim for a place in the first eleven, so that Elliott can be moved out of the firing line for a while.

2 Likes

The reason hes getting so much playing time is squad injuries, some complaining Keita should be starting but hes just back from injury and we got to be careful with him, same with Oxlade-Chamberlain who has started 3 in a row, Personally I think Bajcetic could be getting a bit more playing time. We so badly need a new engine in midfield :tired_face:.

Looked better until the WC, since the restart his level dropped. I donā€™t think it has much to do with his position. Take him out of the team a little bit, like we did with Carvalho.

I disagree. Like @RedOpium said, with Keita, Ox, Curtis, and Melo injured; we donā€™t have any options.

1 Like

So are you saying he hasnā€™t been fast tracked/hung out to dry or are you saying we had no choice but to?

Couldā€™ve easily switched to a 4231 and play Fab-Thiago/Hendo/Milner as the 2.

Read again. :anguished:

That doesnā€™t look that encouraging to me. Heā€™s short of the mark on at least 50% of the game requirements as a midfielder. That includes passing.

Heā€™s exceptional on two aspects, average on two others and below par on six. That assumes that par is the middle on each axis. Hopefully Iā€™m reading that right.

If anything that tells me heā€™s playing in the wrong position.

It was encouraging of the time it was posted. I was hoping heā€™d then be working hard on the defensive element of his game which was poor. Its the type of stats youā€™d expect a no.10 with minimal defensive responsibilities not a no.8 on the right side where Trent plays haha.

Great pick, on the 2 left footers on the right hand side, totally agree with this point especially as Trent is not getting as high up the pitch with his overlapping runs

1 Like

It is, I agree. Stands out like a sore thumb when you look at that diagram.

They must know this so itā€™s a bit baffling that weā€™re still beating the same drum. Needs must I guess.

Neil Jones on Harvey Elliott:

ā€œElliott, sadly, has become something of a lightning rod for criticism among supporters recently, having looked increasingly ill-suited to that role on the right of the Redsā€™ midfield three.ā€

ā€œHe was substituted at half-time at Brentford, having capped a miserable opening 45 minutes by giving the ball away for the Beesā€™ second goal, and it would be a surprise if he was not taken out of the firing line for a week or two.ā€

ā€œElliott, though, is not to blame for Liverpoolā€™s ills. He is, in fact, the only man to have featured in all 26 of their games this season, and is clearly a player of huge talent and potential, one who should have a long and distinguished career in the game.ā€

ā€œRight now, he is a victim of Liverpoolā€™s poor planning. He should not be being asked to play every week, being asked to take on such responsibility while clearly learning and adapting to a new role.ā€

ā€œHe started six league games prior to this season, now heā€™s expected to hold together the midfield of a team that wants to be challenging for everything. Letting a young kid like Elliott take the flak for the clubā€™s failings is not a good look. Liverpool have to act now.ā€

2 Likes

Thankfully I think JĆ¼rgen and the rest of the team would be able to insulate him better than imagined. Definitely Salah would probably be in his ear to make sure he knows that it isnā€™t his fault.

My only concern for him really is whether we might be overplaying him in a way detrimental to his longer-term career physically speaking. Other than that, if JĆ¼rgen has a plan for his development, Iā€™m not going to second-guess it.

This is a justified criticism imo. Itā€™s surprising to see Klopp and Lijnders fall into that trap. One would think that theyā€™d know better.

Jones is talking shit. They are not ā€œlettingā€ Elliott take the flak because letting implies that they have a choice when they donā€™t. Injuries and the massive drop of form of the established midfielders took care of that. Yes, it is hard and it is unfair for Elliott to have to pick up the slack but he is a talented young player who has been available; of course he was going to play more than his form and experience allowed. It couldnā€™t be helped.

If fans are stupid enough to pin Liverpoolā€™s problems on him, then thatā€™s on them. Jones is a dick for suggesting that Klopp and Lijnders are using Elliott as a scapegoat for their own failings.

3 Likes

Itā€™s not what heā€™s saying though. He says that Elliot has fallen victim to Liverpoolā€™s poor planning, which has now resulted in this situation of him having to be overplayed. Granted, a part of our woes are due to (in part predictable) injuries, but we are too short in midfield this season, and itā€™s a bit surprising for me to see Klopp and Lijnders denying this issue for the biggest part of last summer, and still not addressing it yet.

Maybe they have written this season off as a transitional one?

Right Wing - Iā€™ve been saying this for months now.