Harvey ELLIOTT: 2022/23

Except he scored through the middle.

1 Like

Good goal, good energy. That was more the Elliott from the first few months of the season, although of course, when you play as part of the attack, you have the licence to be more ā€œwildā€.

Much better in a 4 man midfield.

2 Likes

Most appearances (30) of all of our players so far this season. But it says more about our injuries everywhere.

2 Likes

I love his passion and energy, just wish his defensive energy could be fine tuned to win the ball back for us at isnā€™t the want for effort.

His best work is done in the final 3rd but he is restricted in the RCM role and isnā€™t an out & out forward

2 Likes

He just needs to be patient. Mo Salah isnā€™t going to be around forever. If Mo does leave, Harvey gets that spot.

Iā€™m not sure about that, for all the criticism of Salah, he is actually rather effectively defensively. Elliott will need to learn how to do that better regardless of where he plays.

Not to mention that hopefully, he will have good competition for that spot in Gordon and Doak.

Absolutely, but heā€™s still a baby in football terms.

1 Like

First, Elliott needs to make it here properly, regardless of position.

Second, I donā€™t think one bit that the staff views him only as a forward from now on and thatā€™s it. That kind of radical changes of opinions happens with us fans, we can allow to be that wild because we donā€™t have any influence on things.

Itā€™s very much try to improve in all aspects of your game and see how far it takes you at Liverpool.

He might survive here post-Klopp, but I think this staff still sees him more as a midfielder or a between the lines combinator.

To struggle in this side this season isnā€™t ā€œhardā€, so a bit of context is needed also. He was actually good in a few games before the WC in midfield.

1 Like

I donā€™t think heā€™s even viewed much as a forward except under such emergency situations, a little like Jones.

Maybe Iā€™m extrapolating too much from that interview that Jones gave, but I have a feeling that with some of the younger players like the two of them and Carvalho, weā€™re trying to make them viable options across the midfield and the forward lines.

Came on today, one good pass that was even a bit overhit and then kept giving the ball away.

He ainā€™t got the physique to be a CM in the PL. Ainā€™t got the pace to be a winger. I think CAM could work for himā€¦

Most counter presses so far by a Liverpool player this season! Brought lots of energy to the midfield, was very good 2nd half.

1 Like

If Bobby leaves, this could help Harvey for next season a little bit I think.

On paper, he could remain to cover two positions really. RCM (where Hendo might still be used + a new player) and on the right of attack, be it in a 4-3-3 or 4-4-2.

Of course, that doesnā€™t mean heā€™d be higher placed as ā€œSalahā€™s backupā€ than senior players like, I donā€™t know, Jota/Diaz/Gakpo (whoever can do a better job on the right when needed), but be here as sometimes the 6th forward option. The likes of Doak and Gordon could be also in consideration, depending on the development and merit.

Because I really struggle to see enough room next season for all these ā€œkidsā€: Bajcetic, Elliott, Jones, Carvalho. For some yes, for some no. Bajcetic has a decent chance, Carvalho I simply donā€™t see enough room for, Elliott could be okay to stay due to his experience from a lot of games this season and being able to cover the right side. Jones would still be questionable.

And Iā€™m not even starting a drastic topic like wow, is Elliott actually a midfielder or a forward or something in between like Odegaard.

He should be able to help us by covering 2 positions, so we might have that in mind for the near future. If he really develops somewhere (and I think we still see him more as a combining player), then he will command more game time naturally.

Elliott was everywhere tonight. World class. Made that look so easy.

2 Likes

Strung together a few very encouraging, terrier like performances in the middle of the pitch.

Best game this season, probably easy to say after such a resounding win but other than 1 misplaced pass in our half he really didnā€™t put a foot wrong.

He has always been a terrier in workrate but now he is actually winning the ball

Was really good today.