Holidays Reminisce

Part Two

Jakarta Armed Forces Museum

After a two and a half hour morning, it’s time for an early light lunch of chicken soto noodles and a bottle of coke, at the museum’s air-conditioned cafe, all for RP18,000. ▼IMG_20170405_113004_HDR.jpg

And a big seafood dinner by the sea at Seafood City in Pluit, with some friends in the evening. From top, counterclockwise: pepper Sri-Lankan crab, barbequed fish, oatmeal deep-fried prawns, chili crab, stir-fried sambal kangkong vegetable and deep fried squid rings on a weather-beaten table. ▼mmexport1492013604113 e

After all that crab, hand washing is in order at the nearby sink with embedded little live fishes swimming around. ▼IMG_20170405_214152_HDR e

My everytime-must-eat roadside snack: deep fried tofu cubes @ Rp4,500 (<SG$0.50) for 6 pieces. The other hawker doesn’t look too happy at being shot but a smile from me settles it. ▼IMG_7917 eIMG_7925 e

Other streetside stalls, and rows of motorbikes, common sights in Indonesia. ▼IMG_7922 eIMG_7928 e

Whenever I go to Jakarta, which at once or twice a year currently and a far cry from the monthly trips of the 90s & 00s, I put up at a friend’s condo at Seasons City. Situated midway between the city centre and the northern coast, the Busway stop for the Corridor 9 route a few steps away made it very convenient to move around. With their own dedicated lanes, the TransJakarta BRT system is faster than driving in the perennially gridlocked traffic. ▼
IMG_7900 e.jpgIMG_7911 e.jpg

Daytime and late evening views from the 23rd floor unit where I stayed. ▼IMG_7887 e.jpgIMG_7958 e.jpg

Inside the mall itself is a cavernous kiddies amusement park of which this ferris wheel nestle in a corner, surrounded by “world-famous attractions” like the miniature Statute of Liberty and Leaning Tower of Pisa. ▼IMG_7932 e.jpg

Our Little Red Dot bade a tearful goodbye to the much-loved A&W fast food chain and its famed root beer in 2003 when its last outlet packed up after a 35-year presence. They found the going tough when the big boys (KFC & McDonald’s) muscled in. Their business is still striving in Indonesia though. Here’s one of their branches in Seasons City. ▼IMG_7929 e.jpgmmexport1492013621849 e

the end… … … and coming up: return to Manila a year later; in 2018

1 Like

PhotoWorld Asia 2018, the super blue blood moon & PAF Museum updates

Screenshot (106).png
… ……… …Above images from
http://www.photoworldmanila.com

Some birdseye views of the Show’s equipment exhibits in progress. ▼Screenshot (113).png

Again as always, after the Opening formalities, we headed to DADS restaurant for their bountiful buffet. I filled my plate with predominately meat, leaving a little extra room for desserts, including the purplish Puto Bumbong delicacy……masarap!! The bottom two images depict my favourite Pampangan specialty, sisig eaten on other subsequent days. Mall-served set with drink at 70 Pesos (S$1.85), and a quickie late night snack from the convenience store at 29 Pesos or S$0.75. ▼Screenshot (115).png

In an unprecedented departure from its entrenched date of the last Thursday of January for the annual PhotoWorld Official Opening, 2018’s was held on the first Thursday of February. The change was made to accommodate the exhibitors’ concern that, because of the blue moon, for the first time the one-week Show will end before the month-end payday of potential customers. Business rules, so instead of the original January 25th to 30th, it became February 1st to 6th.

Now, I always book my airtickets way in advance to take advantage of low prices from the low cost carriers. In this case, mine was purchased in May for $120/- on JetStar which was a very good price in my usual range from SGD90 to 140. I was informed of the new dates in August and since it would have cost a lot more than what I had paid for to change the dates, I decided to forgo them, cut my loss, and look out for new offers.

As a side note to LCC customers like me, that’s the downside to booking far out in advance for the cheap deals. However, all through my dozen plus years of almost 200 advance-booked flights on budget airlines, I had to miss only probably about 3 to 4% of them due to schedule changes on my side. So, that’s no big squeeze in the whole scheme of things. Just take it as an additional 3 to 4% in the cost of the fares. We stand to lose some but gain a hell of a lot of savings in the total picture.

Anyway, luck was on my side as within 2 weeks, I managed to chance upon a superdeal of $168/-…….on SIA. Such an amazing price only happened once in many blue moons (haha, that two words again, and more to come later). That was lower than all the LCC’s (Tiger/Scoot, JetStar & CebuPacific) offers at the time which ranged from a tad below $200 upwards.

So I flew on a full-service legacy carrier, and a top world class one at that, with all its embellished bells and whistles at a lower price point from the bare bones LCCs. That’s because it’s a promotion in celebration of our home carrier’s 70th anniversary. On reflection, that was my first non-LCC flight to The Philippines in 13 years.

I, together with another person were supposed to finally take up a Filipino friend’s longstanding invitation of 14 years to spend a couple of days at his private island, Hermana Mayor or “Miss Universe Island” off the coast of Zambales province in Central Luzon. The plan was to meet him on the eve of the Show to discuss the arrangements for the island visit and for an early Friday morning departure from Manila, right after the Show’s Opening.

Ah, as the saying, goes; Man proposes, Heaven disposes. My supposed travel companion fell sick and could not take the flight to Manila, so as the invitation was for the two of us together, I messaged our friend that his island has to continue its long wait for us.

I arrived in Manila in the late afternoon of January 31st, the evening of which will witness the rare appearance of the super blue blood moon. Quite a mouthful as it describes the confluence of three uncommon lunar occurrences, a celestial trifecta. For those who are not too clear what the adjectives mean, here’s a short explanation: super moon is when the moon is closest to earth making it appear larger than usual, blue moon generally refers to when a calendar month happens to host two full moons, and blood moon is when the moon bleeds profusely.

No, that last statement is purely in jest. Its really a phenomenon whereby a total lunar eclipse is illuminated by sunlight filtered and refracted by earth’s atmosphere. Actually there’s more to those three terms which are not accurately reflective as the words suggest but a full exhaustive discourse is not within the ambit of this little article, so I’ll not get into them.

I headed for one of the organized observation venues; Luneta, a popular sprawling urban recreational park before the onset of dusk. A large group of spotters with their heavy arsenal of telescopes, and long-lensed cameras had already gathered though it would be a few more hours to the culmination of the highly anticipated astronomical event.

Filipinos love to make a fiesta of any social or leisure occasion so it was a party-like atmosphere, with picnics and a makeshift stage with knowledgeable volunteer speakers interacting with, and arming participants and onlookers with the technicalities of the night’s heavenly show.

Luneta at dusk, with the setting sun over Manila Bay in the background and a closer look at the Rizal Monument with The Philippines’ tallest flagpole at the side. ▼ Screenshot (107).png

Fountain light show at the Rizal Park as Luneta is also known by. ▼Screenshot (108).png

The backdrop to the event-to-come, and one of the speakers of the evening. Screenshot (109).png

Enthusiasts gathering together for a group shot, and some of the big guns at the ready out in force. ▼Screenshot (111).png

Without a long lens which I did not bring along as my backpack was already overflowing, I could not get a closeup of the super blue blood moon, so bear with the small images of the star of the evening. Top pic at 7pm with the yellowish moon behind the clouds, hence the diffused look. Bottom pics taken more than one and a half hours later at the peak period of the phenomenon. Screenshot (112).png

SIA now flies from the newer Terminal 3, and as I was super early, completing my check-in by 3.30pm for the homeward bound 7pm flight, I strolled over to the nearby PAF Museum for a follow-up look-see. As mentioned in my last year’s post, I wanted to drop in there again as the indoor section was closed for renovations then. As expected, its now reopened. Entrance fee is a measly 20 Pesos (S$0.52) whilst the open display area is free. I was able to get close-up looks at the exhibits which I had only glimpsed through the blue tinted glass walls last year. Here goes:

First, a corrigendum. What I previously thought was a Wright Brothers Flyer replica is actually that of the Shriver Skylark. See the details in the photo of the plaque below. A fullsize mockup of the Apollo Command Module is on display as is a large model of the PAF’s latest weapon, the Korean FA-50 which is the light combat version of the T-50 Golden Eagle supersonic advanced jet trainer. 12 units were ordered, with delivery completed last year. There are plans for the consideration of a follow-on acquisition of another dozen. ▼
Screenshot (116).png

To wrap up this post, here’s Sarao Motors’ – the famed homegrown jeepney manufacturer – remodel of a 1943 American Dodge WC-57 military command car into a ceremonial Presidential vehicle. Near this vintage four-wheeler are some piston engines that used to power propeller-driven aircraft. ▼Screenshot (117).png

Footnote: In Remembrance. John K. Chua, The Philippines’ top commercial photographer and a devoted social activist passed away on January 7th 2018 after a period of illness. He was barely 70 and was still very active in his work and advocacies even with his failing health, up till the final days of his life. He had been a staple presence at Photoworld Asia through the long years, always lending a guiding hand with the associated events. I first got to know him and his family almost 20 years ago and had stayed over in a guest room at his home & studio on a couple of occasions. Many will miss his physical presence though he will always live on in their hearts and minds. Here’s a couple of pics from the net: John with his “pet” elephant Maali, and with GNie Arambulo, his protégé, long-time collaborator and successor.
Screenshot (118)

the end of this single parter… … … and coming up soon: Bangkok quickie

2 Likes

This was my first post on a friend blog after plenty of badgering from him. Bangkok used to be my favourite watering hole in my much younger days… …till the early 00s after then Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra imposed his January 2003 “war on drugs” when subsequently the nightspots’ opening hours were curtailled. As the 6am closing time was shortened to 2am, I reduced my multiple visits there annually to only once in a few years.
Here we go.
Part 1

Bangkok jalan jalan (walkaround)

OUR BUDDY AH FAN HAS BEEN BUGGING ME TO PUT IN MY TWO DOLLARS (INFLATION, LA) WORTH ON HERE, SO WHERE SHALL I START? OBVIOUSLY NOT ON THE EXCURSIONS WE WERE TOGETHER AT AS WE, HIS KAKIS (FELLOW TRIPPERS) WILL LEAVE THE RECOUNTING TO HIM. AH, I’LL DO PLACES THAT, WITH OCCASIONAL EXCEPTIONS, I VENTURED OUT ALONE AND BEYOND OUR SHORES.

THERE SHOULD BE ENOUGH MATERIAL TO WRITE ON TO PERIODICALLY KEEP AH FAN OFF MY BACK, THOUGH IN RECENT YEARS, MY TRIPS HAD BEEN PARED DOWN AND NOW AVERAGE ABOUT HALF A DOZEN ANNUALLY, NOT INCLUDING OF COURSE TO ACROSS THE CAUSEWAY To MALAYSIA.

“SOCIAL TREE” AT CHANGI AIRPORT TERMINAL ONE DEPARTURE HALL’S AIRSIDE. IT’S AN INTERACTIVE INSTALLATION WITH HIGH CAPACITY MEMORY CAPSULE WHERE ONE CAN SNAP, STORE AND SHARE THEIR VISUAL MEMORIES OF CHANGI AIRPORT; FOR A LIFETIME……IE IF ONE’S PROJECTED/EXPECTED REMAINING YEARS ARE NOT TOO NUMEROUS.

img_20161129_072100_hdr

Let me start off with my most immediate past peregrinations of sorts; the 4-day quickie hop-over to the City of Angels or Krungthep Mahanakhon (that’s just the vastly truncated opening words of a mouthful 66-syllabus full name that I won’t bore the readers with…for now*) at the tail end of November, BE 2559. Yes, the vast majority of the Thai people adhere steadfastly to their epochal BE (Buddhist Era or Butta Sakarat) date; being 543 years ahead of the international standard Gregorian Calendar which is also in concurrent use officially, but I digress.

My primary reason in going to Bangkok for the umpteenth time on that occasion was to attend the opening of the Thai Photo Fair 2016 at the Bangkok International Trade & Exhibition Centre on 30th November as a self-shoehorned VIP of their Photo Business Association. I am well accustomed to being an uninvited (but summarily much welcomed) VIP in such photo events, the prime example of which is the annual PhotoWorld Asia in Manila of which I have been continuously gracing for the past thirteen years, but that is another story that will be told in due course.

I arrived at Suvarnabhumi Airport shortly before noon on 29th November and hopped onto the Airport Link train direct to Ratchaprarop station as I wanted to stop by the nearby Pratunum (Watergate), walking around and down to Sukhumvit to later check in at a questhouse in the Nana area. No issue about lugging my baggage around as I always travel with the bare essentials; in a 3-4 kg lightly loaded backpack on the outbound trip. (I refuse to understand why lots of folks have to bring along half their extensive wardrobe – and their kitchen sink – on their sojourns).

View from Ratchaprarop station of Baiyoke Tower II , until recently the tallest skyscraper in Thailand. To the left is the original Baiyoke, also a former “champion”.
img_20161129_113933_hdr

A tailor shop near Ratchaprarop station offering cheap and fast suits made-to-measure.
img_20161129_114433_hdr

Some ladies strolling by a line of food & beverage vans and trucks on the grounds of the Platinum Mall//Novotel Platinum at the junction of Phetchaburi and Ratchadamri roads, immediately south of Pratunam.
img_20161129_122946_hdr

Pizza on a truck; for eat-in or take-out.
img_20161129_123039_hdr

And a bar-on-wheels (classic Volkswagon Type2 van).
img_20161129_122848_hdr

A view north, at Pratunam, further down on the skywalk after Platinum mall. The small white building near the centre of the pic, after the end of the wavy skybridge, houses the Indra Regent Hotel and Shopping Mall. It was once the tallest structure in the area a long time ago, in the seventies. I was there a few years after it was built.
img_20161129_125001_hdr

And across the road from the skywalk is the money changer that offers the best deals in Thailand; SuperRich Thailand (green signboard on the left. Directly opposite is its keen competitor with marginally inferior rates but much shorter queues, called SuperRich International Exchange 1965 (orange signboard). They are situated in the second soi (side road) after the construction site north of Big C Supercentre which is in turn opposite CentralWorld.
img_20161129_125333_hdr

View towards Baiyoke from Big C (Thailand’s second largest hypermart/retail chain. Number one is Tesco Lotus).
img_20161129_132503_hdr

As their much revered King had recently passed on, his image is visible everywhere; on video screens, posters, billboards and the overwhelmingly present temporary altars, both indoors and outdoors.

img_20161129_180723

img_20161129_181030

On my walk along towards Sukhumvit Soi4 where I planned to stay for the nights, I passed by the Erawan Shrine, immensely popular with locals and foreigners alike. Its been erroneously referred to by the latter as the Four-faced Buddha but is in reality a Hindu Brahmin deity, Lord Brahma. To the Thais, it’s known as the Maha Phrom Shrine. The present statue was rebuilt after the previous iteration was smashed to smithereens with a hammer by a mentally unstable local man in March 2006. However, it escaped with only a slight damage in the bombing incident that claimed 20 lives and 125 injuries a little over nine years later.
img_20160419_183127

to be continued… … Next up: Bangkok Photo Fair 2016

2 Likes

Bangkok walkaround
Part 2

Bangkok Photo Fair 2016
The Grand Official Opening of the Photo Fair was to begin at 10 am but it was way past noon when the distinguished Guest of Honor, Princess Soamsawali Kitiyakara finally arrived. The ceremony area was cleared of the general public and the place was crawling with the Military Police and other security personnel. Even holders of VIP passes had to stay not less than 30 metres away. That’s not surprising as Royalty is involved. The first wife of the now Thai King Maha Vijiralongkorn (ascended 1st December 2016), the princess though divorced since 1991, is still a member of the Royal Household, carrying the title of Princess Mother of the King’s (referring to Bhumibol Adulyadej) First Grandchild.

Anyway, the Photo Exhibition featured an impressive display of equipment and peripherals in an area larger than the long-defunct Singapore Photo Fair in its heydays of the 1980s to the early 1990s. We were told only the press corps and members of her entourage are allowed to take her photos. Ok, I’ll see what I can do……without getting into trouble of course. I always have some tricks up my sleeve, circumstances permitting. (My repertoire includes quite a few “commando” tips picked up from a resourceful friend John Chua who, for a long time, was widely acknowledged as The Philippines’ top commercial photographer).

Waiting……
img_20161130_114445

……and waiting; with the near environs now cleared of “normal” folks.
img_20161130_115321

A Military Policeman standing guard at the invisible demarcation that separates the VIPs from the VVIPs. I managed to surreptitiously wander over to the “forbidden” area for quite a few minutes and from there got off this shot without any eagle-eyed official noticing.
img_20161130_115806

Gently shooed back to my designated area much later, I stole a far away shot at the Princess. She’s seated, in the centre of the pic, beside the naval officer standing in front of her. The security goon who happened to glance my way was unsure if I had pressed the button as I nonchalantly pretended to be busy playing on my hp screen, before and after the superquick snap. Not a focused shot and the Princess is hardly discernible but it is what it is.
For covert shooting, never do it a second time in the same situation. Chances of being caught (possibly with dire consequences) will be exponentially high. There is no try, do it quick for better or for worse.

img_20161130_123544

Blurry enlarged section of the above pic.
img_20161130_144702-1

The Photo Fair in full swing.
img_20161130_135027img_20161130_135956img_20161130_140225

What are shows without the customary eye candies?
img_20161130_142442img_20161130_143041img_20161130_143602

to be continued… … Next up: Royal Thai Air Force Museum

1 Like

Bangkok walkaround
Part 3

The Royal Thai Air Force Museum - RTAFM

The next day, I headed north to the Royal Thai Air Force Museum along Phahonyothin Road (Thailand’s second longest highway at 1005 km) on the eastern side of Don Muang Airport and across the runway from the civilian terminals. Now, this place had been on my backburner for a long long time and it was not until Ah Fan brought it up shortly prior to my trip that I later resolved not to procrastinate any more.

Although not to the scale of the western air museums in Europe and the US that I had visited, the RTAFM still boasts an impressive collection (much more than those in Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Yogyarkata, Manila and arguably, even Seoul) of aircraft from vintage biplanes through the warbirds of the two great Wars to their most modern still-in-service multirole fighter, the Swedish Saab JAS 39 Gripen. Most of the exhibits are well maintained, with a few outdoor derelicts in various stages of disrepair but still worth looking over by true aviation enthusiasts. All in all, it’s aeroplane porn –sort of– to lovers of these magnificent machines of the skies .

Getting there is not difficult, just time-consuming. (It’s even much easier and faster now that the Skytrain’s northern extention has reached the Museum and beyond since December 2020, with the RTAFM station right at the entrance). Because of the perennially notorious traffic jams, coupled with the on-going construction of the Skytrain Sukhomvit Line north extension from Mo Chit to Don Mueung District, a taxi journey from town could take one and a half hours or more. Since I stayed at Sukhumvit, I took a direct bus, number 185 from Asoke Road near its junction with Sukhumvit Road. The trip takes only around 30 minutes longer than by cab….at a fraction of the cost. As I did not bring along a proper camera, I made do with my hand phone.

As I told Ah Fan later, it’s woefully inadequate for serious pics and what I snapped were just barely passable. I’ll probably make a return trip in a year or two, ideally with a DSLR, or at least a non idiot-proof manually operable compact camera and preferable a photocell-triggered remotely placed off-camera handflash. A luxury will be with another person for an extra pair of hands to act as lighting man since the indoor lights are mostly not luminous enough or the backlight from the windows are too overpowering. Meanwhile, Ah Fan will he headed there next month; with proper shooting equipment. We can look forward to better pics then.

There are other bus services to the museum from various points in the city but at Asoke Montri Road is where I board number 185. The little light blue square indicates the bus stop location.
sukhumvit-asoke-bus-stop

Although the museum is at the airport, it’s not directly accessible from the civil terminals.
rtaf-map

The bus stop is a scant few steps from the museum entrance. There are military guards at the gate but they will just wave the visitors through without hassle.
img_20161206_115002

Poster boards at the glassed entrance doors. No fees are charged.
img_20161201_112935

A F-5A Freedom Fighter II immediately greets the visitor.
img_20161201_113021

Signing of the guestbook is optional.
img_20161201_113431

An ubiquitous temporary altar to the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej who passed away on 13th October 2016 after 70 world-record-breaking years on the throne.
img_20161201_113448

Posters and a smorgasbord of model planes in glass display cases.
img_20161201_113225

An early specimen of the aeroplane, Vought O2U Corsair.
img_20161201_113921

The heavy-metal remains of a shot-down P-51 Mustang WWII fighter.
img_20161201_114039

The F-86 Sabre, one of the first generations of jetfighters.
img_20161201_124645

F-16A Fighting Falcon. Seven of these jets in the RTAF inventory were ex-Republic of Singapore Air Force birds donated by the Singapore Government in January 2005 in return for the privilege of using the Udon Thani Airbase for RSAF training.
img_20161201_124740

The Gripen on display was an early model former Swedish Air Force JAS 39A donated by the Swedish government. The RTAF operate the later C & D variants.
img_20161201_124900

The Freedom fighter’s internal cannon.
img_20161201_125033

The Soviet workhorse Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG21 Fishbed. More than 11,000 of this second/third generation jetfighters were built.
img_20161206_142941

Some old birds; with the Japanese-built trainer Tachikawa Ki-36 in the foreground.
img_20161201_125640

Solid wood propellers on a radial engine.
img_20161201_130026

Another wooden airscrew but on a square nose.
img_20161201_130630

Another silver biplane. This one is a Boeing 100E (P-12E), active between the two world wars.
img_20161201_130133

An echelon of naval piston-engined fighters outside the main display hanger.
img_20161201_123943

Drones galore.
img_20161201_131511

The cockpit and cabin of a twin engine prop transport.
img_20161201_131121img_20161201_130857_burst20

A wingless DC-3 Dakota that had seen better days.
img_20161201_132530_hdr

The sorry state of the Dakota’s cockpit, stripped of all its instrumentation.
img_20161201_133135

….and its slightly less woeful cabin.
img_20161201_133222

Ah, there’s some whirlybirds as well.
img_20161201_134033img_20161201_133939

Decommissioned Boeing 737 VIP Royal transport.
img_20161201_142123

An OV-10 Bronco counter insurgency combat plane.
img_20161201_142618

to be continued… … Next up: a few other sights before heading home

1 Like

Bangkok walkaround
Part 4

Its my fourth and final day and my flight is in the mid afternoon so I got the morning to roam a little more. The new title holder of “tallest” being situated one station south of Patpong, I conveniently jumped onto the Skytrain for a clear close lookaround.
The 314 metre tall (eclipsing Baiyoke II by a mere 5 metres) luxury hotel, residential and retail development, MahaNakhon Tower was officially opened a few months ago in April 2016 but the lower floors for the public were not ready yet, with interior works still in progress. Its unique architectural feature is its wrap-around spiraling pixilated façade. I circumnavigated the roads surrounding its perimeter and was pleasantly surprised to stumble upon an old Chinese cemetery on its western flank.
For anyone who fancy buying into one of MahaNakhon’s upmarket condos, be ready to ante up anywhere between one point one million to seventeen million US$. As for the cemetery lots, I don’t know, and didn’t check the prices though I would assume that lying six feet underground is much much cheaper than living six hundred feet in the air.

All sides of MahaNakhon Tower.
img_20161202_094623

img_20161202_091826

img_20161202_090748

img_20161202_095556

….and its quiet neighbours; the worry-free denizens of the old Chinese Cemetery.
img_20161202_092223

img_20161202_092315

img_20161202_092411

Talking of abodes, here’s where I holed up at night. For 500 bahts a pop, and near a Skytrain station, I have no complaints. At that price, the room is at the topmost fourth floor, with the most costly first floor ones at 800 bahts. All are air-conditioned, with attached bathrooms. Since I would be climbing up those stairs only once a day, thats maimi panha (no problem). Rudimentary but clean and comfortable.
img_20161202_113459

Close to where I stayed are two afterdark watering holes within the range of my scant leg power; Nana Plaza a stone throw away, and Soi Cowboy at about 15 leisurely minutes. Here’s an image of a roadside stall bar at the latter. I eschew the infamous Patpong since many years ago as it had slowly but surely stripped itself of its former glory. Its eventual steady deterioration has fast tracked to becoming a dump now.
img_20160421_233548

Thai food is simply aroi or delicious. One of my top dishes, a must have on every visit, is phad thai or stir fried thin rice noodles. There are some slight variations of the basic dish. The one shown here which I had at Big C is wrapped in fried egg skin. All come with greens which are not present in the pic because I don’t like veggies. And what better to round off a satisfying meal than a bowl of crunchy ruby & sweet pineapple with coconut cream iced dessert
img_20161129_134225

Though I am generally fine with chicken rice, it is never high on my to-eat list. However, I love the Thai version that unlike in Singapore where only a few establishments’ efforts “can make it”, practically every such eatery in Thailand do whip up very good khao man gai. What make theirs way better on average are due to a host of reasons: The inclusion of a slab of coagulated blood which is banned in the Little Red Dot. The chili concoction of which salted soya bean paste is part of, infusing an extra oomph to the condiment. The rice & chicken which are all cooked to high consistent standards, unlike our many “hit or miss” outlets. And lastly, the tasty accompanying soups which our corners-cutting lazy hawkers, with a few exceptions, had done their magic in making them disappear altogether.
First serving from a food court and second, a roadside stall at 40 bahts and 30 bahts respectively. Both were equally delicious.
img_20160422_151918img_20161202_093332

At the RTAF Museum, in-between my three hours of near orgasmic viewing of aeroplane porn, I popped over to their little canteen for a bowl of lad na, aka hor fun, aka thick flat rice noodles with starchy gravy. Costs total of 50 bahts together with the bowl of shaved ice dessert.
img_20161201_115635

A quickie bowl of mixed pork & beef boat noodles at the foodcourt of Suvarnabhumi Airport after checking in for departure.
img_20161202_133930

Some pics inside the airport
img_20161202_140135img_20161202_143257

……from the airplane, a JetStar Airbus A320, with the sun obscured by heavy clouds.
img_20161202_174659

And shortly before touchdown at Changi as the sun got ready to bade goodbye to yet another day. The clouds exhibit shades of Independence Day: Resurgence.
img_20161202_175609

Addendum:

Poor night pic of MahaNakhon Tower hastily snapped on the night of my arrival. Those images on the web of its opening night with a laser show and selective illumination are sights to behold. Google them for a visual feast.
img_20161129_181541

A airplane graveyard at a northern suburb of Bangkok taken during my previous trip in May 2016. Shown here are the queen of the skies; the Boeing 747 and its much smaller stablemate 737. Newest versions of both all-time classics are still being churned out by the factories, about 50 years after their initial models’ first flights.
img_20160421_120524img_20160421_120609

Also, on that May trip home from Don Muang Airtport I came across an interesting husband & wife team, Wan & Mou, who showcased their exploits of a 2,000-day bicycle journey around the world. They dared to live their dream through true grit and determination. Their exhibition had ran from 1st April to 1st June at Terminal 2. Pics below of their poster and with the apple of their eyes who was conceived and born after the journey ended.
img_20160422_154613img_20170101_212555

So, Ah Fan its done, with three out of the four requirements in your JKMP mantra. I walked a lot, eating along the way (but of course) and now posting a ton of (borderline so-so) pics. The only item I skipped is Kopi as I hardly drink coffee. I downed plenty of coke though, a close enough homophone if spoken fast.

*Ok, for those who like to know, and won’t fall asleep reading it, here’s the full transliteration and translation of the actual Thai name of Bangkok (which incidentally is the longest place name in the world):

Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit

The city of angels, the great city, the residence of the Emerald Buddha, the impregnable city (of Ayutthaya) of God Indra, the grand capital of the world endowed with nine precious gems, the happy city, abounding in an enormous Royal Palace that resembles the heavenly abode where reigns the reincarnated god, a city given by Indra and built by Vishnukarn.

the end… … … and coming up: Thailand 2017 – parte uno,
Bangkok Photo Fair 2017 and some other Bangkok sights

1 Like

Thailand 2017 – parte uno
Part 1
Bangkok Photo Fair 2017

IMG_9550 e

Another year and it was the Bangkok International Photo Fair once again; more of the same as last year’s edition, and with the repeat Guest of Honor, Princess Soamsawali Kitiyakara. It being the 50th anniversary of the organizing entity; Bangkok Photo Business Association, the event was summarily bigger with larger visiting foreign contingents.

Rehearsal for the Opening; of VVIPs’ protocol in receiving mementos from the Princess. Picture taking of the actual ceremony was restricted to members of their press corp .▼Screenshot photo show rehearsal.png

Representatives of the foreign sister photo business associations in attendance. ▼IMG_9576 e

A high vantage point view of the exhibits hall. No, Nikon is not my fave camera brand though I do have a couple of old but not so obsolete D3s lying around at home. Their stand just happened to offer a good vista. ▼IMG_9589 e

As said before, what’s a fair without the mandatory eye candies? Here are some sweeties from the various participating companies.▼IMG_9598 eIMG_9603 eIMG_9605 eIMG_9609 eIMG_9610 e

But its not all looks. Some action too, with a couple of them going through their nanchaku paces. Don’t mess with them! :wink: :smile:IMG_9613 e.jpg

to be continued… … Next up: night river cruise along the Chao Phraya

1 Like

Spent a few days with family in Coniston a few years back, beautiful and peaceful, would love to go back one day.

Went for a run one morning and ended up the top of the hill to the left of The Old Man of Coniston.
Phoned my lad and told him to look out the bedroom window, he clocked me waving my jacket at him.

Lovely view up here, get the kettle on.
Got down a lot quicker than I went up.

2 Likes

Part 2
Chao Phraya river cruise

After the Show’s opening and towards the evening, its time for a river cruise dinner. Our large party occupied the whole top deck of the Chao Phraya Princess I for two hours of sight, sound and bites along the “mae nam” or Mother of Rivers. There are five of these Princesses – suffixed from I to V – that run these fun cruises, boarding from River City Pier which is about 2 km downriver from the Grand Palace. Price per person, inclusive of the dinner and on-board entertainment is a tad below a thousand bahts or about USD28. Highly recommended for a group evening out.

Fireworks welcome us as we began to make our way to boarding….wait, its not for us but just some other unrelated celebrations downriver. Wishful thinking! :smile: IMG_9632 e

Roadside stalls near the Chao Phraya riverside offering bewildering choices of gastronomic delights. The gentleman and lady tending to the cart on the right – either siblings or a couple (hard to tell as they are so alike) – must really love what they dish out as evidenced by their overly rotund appearance. ▼IMG_9621 e

But these were what we had to make do with. :wink:IMG_9641 e

The famed impressive Wat Arun or Temple of Dawn on the western bank or Thonburi side of the river. Ironically, it’s the setting sun that brings out the visual best of this Temple. We were much too late to view it in all its majesty of the waning dusk light. That being said, this is still a better than nothing pic. ▼IMG_9661 e

This multi-lingual songbird kept us entertained for most of the cruise time with a wide repertoire of Thai and international ditties, ballads, melodies and other tunes. ▼IMG_9657 e

The Grand Palace. ▼IMG_9664 e

A section of a cable-stayed bridge as we were about to go under it in the final stretch. ▼IMG_9667 e

to be continued… … Next up: snacks, “guns” and pre-show welcome dinner

1 Like

Part 3
…of food and “guns”
The Fair’s Opening was on Wednesday 29th November but I went two days earlier for more time to talk to the elders of the photo industry to collect material for my second book which besides continuing with another 50 of Sg’s professional photographers will also feature the regional photo associations that we are in contact with.

While waiting for the target elders to avail themselves, me and my companion for the trip, Jeffrey, went off to partake in some local delights at the Old Siam Mall in Chinatown. We head there as unlike me who eats anywhere, Jeffrey is more particular of the food seller’s general hygiene….at least outwardly as what he don’t see don’t bother him. So with a little backtracking, here’s some snippets of those one day and a half.

This is as close to snacks heaven as it gets. ▼IMG_9495 eIMG_9500 eIMG_9504 eIMG_9509 eIMG_9513 eIMG_9524 eIMG_9529 eIMG_9530 e

Fancy picking up some munitions? Here’s an arsenal……of airsoft ordnance in the image of real life weapons at a small mall. ▼IMG_9538 eIMG_9541 e

Me picking the mind of an elder of the Thai Photo Association on their history. ▼IMG-20171128-WA0002 e

A gathering of the foreign guests at the welcome dinner on the eve of the show’s opening, and some of the dishes for the evening. ▼ IMG-20171128-WA0009 e
IMG_20171128_185539
IMG_20171128_191832 e
IMG_20171128_193324 e

the end of parte uno… … …
Next up: Thailand 2017 – parte dos: My return to Chiangrai

1 Like

Brilliant. :joy:

1 Like

Thailand 2017 – parte dos: My return to Chiangrai
Part 1
IMG_8460 e

The "White Temple"
Its been twelve years since I last set foot in this northernmost province that shares borders with Myanmar and Laos. It’s a very nice place and I do miss it but it was hard to find the time to continue there from Bangkok which I’ve been to many times all these years. Ah, actually time can be appropriated should there be any pressing or valid reason to do so. Jeffrey provided that impetus, and pecuniary courtesy, for this trip; requesting me to show him around some of the interesting sights. So, we left Bangkok the day after the Fair’s opening and arrived at Chiangrai’s Mae Fah Luang Airport before mid-afternoon.

Even though we had 5 nights and 4 ½ days on hand, with so many places to show Jeffrey, we wasted no time and set off immediately for Wat Rong Khun or the White Temple as it is commonly known to non-Thais. Now, that’s a misnomer if ever there was one. The place is not really a temple and there is no monk attached to it. Some websites and blogs had stated there is a single one but I believe their eyes (or probably the mis-story was started by just a single person and others simply picked it up) were tricked by the very life-like seated statue inside the “no-cameras-allowed-main-temple-hall”.**

So what is it actually? The grounds on which the many present edifices stand were once occupied by an old dilapidated temple. With dire lack of funds to renovate, the place was subsequently acquired by a private individual to be a center of learning and meditation, and for people to gain benefit from the Buddhist teachings. And so the present “White Temple” began its rise and the (tourism) world is better for it. Strange, bizarre, garish, creepy, macabre, surrealistic are some of the many adjectives used to describe the structures and exhibits. That it retains the name of the former actual temple could be what makes it in the minds of many a temple, but whatever….

A giant installation of predominantly Buddhist art as dreamed up by millionaire painter-visual artist-architect Chalermchai Kositpipat, it began its existence in 1997 and is planned to be completed in 2070. That’s no typo. The work is slated to be continued by his disciples/followers, according to his master plan, long after his passing, whenever that may come to be. (He will hit 63 very soon). According to Acharn (teacher) Chalermchai the unique creation is his offering to Lord Buddha and “Only death can stop my dream, but cannot stop my project.”

However, in life it almost did. Disaster struck in early May 2014 as tremors from a devastating earthquake (the strongest ever recorded in Thailand) in nearby Mae Lao district heavily damaged the buildings. Tiles & some ceilings felled off and walls were cracked. Initially, it was announced that no repairs will be carried out as the effect was extensive, rendering the main buildings unsafe. It was to be demolished! Later, upon closer inspection by specialists and due to the worldwide support received, the owner acquiesced and restoration was completed within two years. Luckily as it turned out, the feared premature end was not to be and aficionados of Wat Rong Khun heaved massive sighs of reliefs.

A cutout of Acharn Chalermchai for visitors to take pictures with, as he’s only there on site in person occasionally. And some of his bizarre art pieces. ▼Screenshot WT figures.png

Wat Rong Khun in all its white glory. ▼Screenshot WT2.png

Screenshot WT3.png

A bespoke Imperial Star Destroyer looming close overhead. Shucks, I’m being carried away by the Star Wars lore. Actually, it’s a sheltered long walkway with its ceiling completely covered by metal leafs of well-wishes tokens. ▼IMG_9770 e.jpg

Closer looks at other metal tokens. ▼Screenshot WT4.png

Not all that glitters is white and silver. There are also some gold constructs big and small. This large one has been described as the most beautiful toilet in the world – and it probably is as public toilets go. That’s basically it, at least for the lower level as the upper floor is occupied by offices and living quarters where the master would do his work and take his forty or more winks. Ladies to the left and gents to the right, at your own time carry on ▼Screenshot WT toilet.png

Some other gold to go with the otherwise overwhelming but nevertheless pleasing whiteness…… ▼Screenshot WT1.png

to be continued… … Next up: Singha Park, a cosy diner, and the “Black Temple”

2 Likes

Part 2

Singha Park
Owned by Boon Rawd Brewery which is the company that produce Singha Beer (pronounced as beer singh, with the “a” being silent), the sprawling property was originally used to grow the barley for their beer. It opened its gates to one and all five years ago after repurposing it as a sustainable agro-tourism project for family relaxation and entertainment.

Though there’s still some barley being grown, it’s now primarily a tea plantation (over 400 tons of annual production) with scenic lakes, a small zoo, bicycle & walking trails, a Sport and Recreational Center, rock climbing, souvenir shop, cafés, coffee shops and a hilltop restaurant. Fruits & vegetables are also grown in the 12.8km of rolling hills and striking meadows. There’s a slew of events to suit almost everyone’s taste organized all year round. The park is just a few minutes’ drive from Wat Rong Khun.

The balloon festival is supposedly to be sometime in February (about the same period as the Clark International Balloon Fiesta in the Philippines) but we did happen to witness a few rising in the air by a lake from far off. Well, it could be a practice session or a minor side event. In any case, I managed to squeeze a couple of shots in not so favorable light.

A verdant and serene vista, with the setting sun casting a warm hue to the palette. ▼ IMG_9820 e.jpg

A lookout platform for an expansive view. Hot air balloons in flight. A far view of the giant Singha statue from the moving vehicle. ▼
Screenshot Suan Singha.png

Map from singhapark.com. ▼Screenshot singha map.png

After the hours spent at the above two places, it was already fast approaching 7pm and getting really dark. We headed to a quaint cozy eatery 2km southwest of the King Mengrai statue (heading picture at top of page) for dinner.** **Moom Mai Restaurant has great intimate ambience with delicious Thai food and live music. We ordered four dishes for three persons which cost a total of 800 Bahts or SGD33; not exactly low cost but an ok price considering the relaxing “antique”-filled country garden house environment.

Main image shows the entrance of the property, with the bottom left picture of the garden path leading to the eatery itself. It’s a little wonderland to wow the kids, with figurines from both western & oriental lore. Mid bottom: a guitarist belting out country tunes to accompany the food in the next pic (we started tucking in before the last dish’s arrival).▼Screenshot chiangrai dinner place

Baan Dam museum
There is white and there is black. “Darkness Rises and the Light to Meet It!” Snoke could very well had been referring to these “temples” when he said that to Kylo in The Last Jedi. Why? What! Its just my misappropriation of that quote, but before Wat Rong Khun began “rising to meet the dark”, there was The “Black Temple” – again a misnomer as it is actually a museum.

Baan Dam, translating as Black House is a group of around 40 buildings in a compound that belonged to the late artist Thawan Duchanee. Both he and the founder of Wat Rong Khun were/are internationally renowned. Considered as Thailand’s national treasures, they shared Chiangrai as their birth place. Contemporary painter, architect and sculptor, Thawan passed away in 2014 at the not-so-old age of almost 75.

The consummate master worked and lived within his sprawling 40 acres architectural masterpieces of various unique design and styles; constructed with wood, glass, steel, concrete, bricks, and terracotta. Scattered in the property are folk art of sculptures, paintings and animal bones, skins & horns, plus silver and gold items from Thailand, the region and from around the world.

This is the primary building of the museum complex; a cavernous hall with a ton of artifacts, right at the entrance.
Screenshot Baan Dam.png

Good stuffs should not be overexposed and so here are just a few images of the many architectural curiosities and interior contents to whet your appetite; ie if you have the stomach for some of them For the third image below, I waited for the ladies to get into the picture for a sense of scale to show the sheer size of the main hall.
Screenshot BD1.png
Screenshot BD2.pngScreenshot BD4.png

If bones and skins are a little too disturbing, here are some neutral displays, both of the living performance kind and canvas art stuff.
Screenshot BD3

Bust and figurine of the late master himself. Screenshot BD5.png

Some of the other buildings in the extensive compound. Screenshot BD6.png

to be continued… …Next up: weekend night market

1 Like

Part 3

Walking Street Market.
On every Saturday night, a kilometer-long stretch of Thanalai Road – a block from the town centre’s Clock Tower – bustled into a lively scene with food and a plethora of goods stalls lining both sides of the closed-to-vehicular-traffic thoroughfare. Its also party time as a massive crowd “ramwong” (dance) their way around a vast open area in the vicinity. The not so active can still sit or stand around to avail themselves of the music dished out by a stream of singers on stage.

However, that’s not the only such market in this city. There’s never enough of a good thing, so a few years ago, someone, or somemany, started a similar albeit smaller one on Sunday nights; along Sang Khon Noi aka Happy Street. It’s a bit out of the way though. And if one could not make it to either because of non-coinciding days, there’s always the daily permanent Night Bazaar adjacent to the bus station, but let’s stick to Thanalai.

Clockwise from top left: quail eggs done in a variety of ways. The ever-popular Thai papaya salad somtum. Fresh coconut smoothie. Barbecued fish. ▼ Screenshot walking street.png

Fragrances galore! Perfumes to mix & match (main image) and essential oils……for a satisfied customer. ▼
Screenshot perfumes.png

Decorative “eggs”, fluffy toys, clothes, footwear and more…. Wait, this is not what it appears to be. Business is not that bad; just that I specially seek out those in their less busy interludes. ▼Screenshot clothes, etc.png

This young musician played her string instrument really well and she’s cute too. No wonder her donations bucket was so full of banknotes. Also, diligent youth artists at work and lastly an old stallholder who was more intent on watching a serial drama than selling her wares. ▼Screenshot w s girl.png

These colorful critters sort of look like crab prawns but then what do I know? I ain’t no marine biologist. ▼
Screenshot ws prawns.png

Sanuk Sanuk, or to put it simply, having fun. Its about people letting their hair down, enjoying life’s simple pleasures like open air group dancing and feasting with buddies, new and old. ▼Screenshot ramwong.png

Elephants.
Like Chiangmai, there are elephant attractions big and small here in Chiangrai, though not on the same scale. When logging was banned in Thailand almost thirty years ago, the suddenly out-of-job pachyderms and their mahouts transited to the tourist industry with the setting up of elephant sanctuaries, parks and camps. The one we went to is not the popular (and obviously very crowded) Elephant Valley Thailand.

It looks to be the rural Ruammit Elephant Camp as evidenced by the road signs from a shot I took of the backs of a couple of the behemoths trudging along the road. It is something like a 20km drive from town and located not far from Wat Huay Pla Kang, the Guanyin temple so the two can be combined in a single trip. Although touristy, the basic settings without “bells & whistles” give it a somewhat rustic vibe. We saw some small groups take up the rides on the big guys to the hill and forested area beyond. Not for me, but to each his own and the Karen tribe people who run the place have to eat, I know.

The joy of the ride…….for humans. Not sure about the animals though, but I’ll bet it won’t be fun carrying an unnatural heavy burden on the back, climbing up hills and maybe wading the shallow waters of the running river. A line of laden elephants can be (barely) seen slowly gaiting towards the skyline in the bottom left picture. The river at the bottom right corner probably serves as part of the elephant thrill ride and also as arrival point for long tail boats coming in from the city. Raft trips can be arranged for those who want to experience the idyllic tribal life along its sandy banks. ▼Screenshot elephants1.png

Anyway, there are other subjects to interest me, like this local father & son pair whiling away their time at the riverbank. ▼
Screenshot elephants2.png

Wat Huay Pla Kang.
Talking of big, the almost completely white statue of Guanyin is massively so. The whole temple complex is still very new, a few years at the most, as workers are busily at work putting on the finishing touches to the mighty flight of stairs leading to its gigantic base. An elevator takes one up to the eyes for a wide view of the surroundings, with Chiangrai city clearly visible in the southerly direction; about 5km to the centre as the crow flies.

On the Bodhisattva’s left is an ornate white temple – an Ubosot or ordination hall – with red roof that looks puny in comparison, being sited between the former and another huge structure; a nine-tiered pagoda. Unusually, instead of the traditional equal or progressively slightly smaller straight-walled tiers, this decagon (a ten-sided polygon) appears more like a steep, highly tapered pyramid. The form is more of a chedi than a pagoda though of course the structure remains basically that of the latter. Its footprint and height are about the same as Guanyin’s. Inside are plenty of carved wooden statues, with the biggest sitting cross-legged on the bottom and reaching to the 3rd level.

Screenshot WHPK2.pngScreenshot WHPK1.png

Coming down the slope on our way back to town was our ride, a Mitsubishi Pajero SUV, for most of our Chiangrai stay. ▼IMG_8561 e.jpg

to be continued… …Next up: highlands and tea plantations

1 Like

Part 4

Doi Tung is the nearest mountain of note near where we stayed. There is a temple right at the peak, after a steep incline at the end of a long winding drive. Other than the refreshing cool mountain air, the grounds are not particularly worthy of a purposeful destination. However, on the way up, just a few kilometers below, is the delightful Mae Fah Luang (Royal Mother from the Sky) Gardens. Adjacent to it is the Royal Villa which used to be the summer residence of the Princess Mother (1900-1995) – mother of late King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

First the Gardens. Within its more than 10 acres of beautifully landscaped slopes lay a breathtaking display of flowers and plants. The stunning views along is worth spending a couple of hours wandering along its meandering paths, drinking in the beauty of nature’s gift carefully cultivated by teams of dedicated gardeners. Here goes: ▼IMG_9949 e.jpgScreenshot MFLG1.png Screenshot MFLG2.png IMG_9956 e .jpg

Then the temple. Just about the only feature that stands out in this relatively small place of worship is the rows of bells along the sides of the l–o–n–g flight of stairs downwards. We drove up but since its downhill, “mai mi phan ha” (no problem), leg power rules. ▼Screenshot DT1.png

Since I’ve been here many times over I left Jeffrey to wander off by himself. Whipping out my long lens, I hanged around to sneak some candids. I “caught” this young lass just as she turned her head in my direction. Flashing a big smile, she then continues with her selfies. ▼Screenshot DT2.png

As for this presumably head monk, it was a different story altogether. His countenance was stoic, with a trace of admonition on seeing what I was up to. I quickly bowed my head in deference to His Holiness and I seemed to be forgiven as he went on to smilingly give his blessings to the two kneeling ladies. Phew! ▼
Screenshot DT3.png

From Doi Tung we continued on along mountainous winding roads to Mae Salong, or Little China in the northern Thai highlands. In the terminal stages of the Chinese Civil War for control of the Middle Kingdom, most of the Kuomintang troops were forced by Mao Tse-tung’s Red Army to flee to Taiwan, with a band of ragtag remnants from 93rd Division of the Chinese Nationalist Army crossing over from Yunnan through Burma to take refuge in Mae Salong. Opium production and cooperation with the notorious warlord Khun Sa assured them of the needed funds to sustain their struggle with their sworn enemies. Forty over years ago they were granted Thai citizenship and as such, their crops became mainly tea.

The highlands village now called Santikhiri (hill of peace) in officialdom, initially fully retained and practiced their culture & customs. Schools conduct their lessons in Chinese and the whole settlement look and feel as if its in China. (It does when I first went there in 1987). Not any anymore today as gradually, with the aging & passing of the first generation, assimilation & migration began and continue to run its course.

Hilltribes and ethnic Thais together now outnumber those descendants of the 93rd Division. Still, it does retain some of its Chinese-ness and a visit there – if opportunities allow – would certainly further enrich a Chiangrai trip. That said, I wouldn’t deem it a must-see destination without other “sweeteners” like the Sakura which is in bloom there around late December to early February. Yes, one doesn’t have to go to Japan to indulge in the spectacular beauty of the celebrated cherry blossom.

A hilltop view of part of the Mae Salong settlement Bottom; the “town” area and a souvenir stall hawking Akha tribal handicrafts. ▼
Screenshot MS3.png

Meanwhile the friendly(?) neighborhood spider had built its web, one with an interesting pattern. Those four symmetrical elaborate “designs” fanned out from it like the rotors of a chopper. ▼IMG_0015 e.jpg

The archway to Gen Tuan Memorial Garden. Next pic: by the tomb of late leader Gen Tuan Shi-wen (Chiwan Khamlue in Thai), stands the 56 year old former KMT child-soldier who for donations to the community (and also to himself), hands out incense and recount the struggles of the “lost army” in both Thai and Mandarin. He fought by the sides of his father and mother from the age of 10. ▼Screenshot MS4.png

Shooting people candidly is a touch & go affair, with sometimes not-so-welcomed countenances of the targets. The elderly lady was not too enamored to be my subject and the young mother was downright unimpressed; to put it mildly. But then as time wore on and they became more accustomed to what I was up to, the attitude underwent a big positive transformation. Of course being friendly & polite to them did help; tremendously. I was even invited to partake in their “mookata” meal which I politely declined as I was really full after a heavy lunch. Anyway, I don’t like veggies and it would have been rather rude of me to eat just the meat. ▼Screenshot MS1..png

We were early by around a month or so for the wondrous sight of Sakura flowering the mountainsides, roads, gardens, and just about every other nook and corner in Mae Salong. I was fortunate that in one of my trips up there decades ago, I was able to catch the tail end of the cherry blossom season. This time round, all we witnessed were barren branches. Anyway, we were well aware of the timing factor but no matter as we can’t expect to have everything fall in place. ▼Screenshot sakura.png

The cool climate of Chiangrai province is conducive to the growing of tea, coffee and fruits like strawberry besides the aforementioned sakura (blooms when in season). Plantations abound not only in the mountainous countryside but also the city itself which with an elevation of 390 metres is no slough. Including the earlier Singha Park, we went to a total of 3 Tea Plantations. The sloping rows of leaves make for a striking scenery – a beautiful verdant backdrop, some dotted with tranquil azure pockets of ponds & lakes – for that picture to show and post around.

101 Tea. This smallest of the trio lies on the way down from the mountain top. Its more rustic and less crowded. Facilities are more basic but with the obligatory stalls hawking souvenir handicrafts and of course packets of tea. I spent quite some minutes on the kid who seem to be throwing tantrums, with the mother and another lady trying to placate him. When he eventually noticed my camera trained on him, he quieted down with his curiosity well aroused. ▼Screenshot 101T2.png

Choui Fong Tea Plantation is arguably the largest and most scenic in the province though fans of Singha Park’s very own might beg to differ. But, to each his own, as both are stunningly beautiful in their own right. Like the latter, its also quite accessible, lying about 12 km off the main road, Thanon Phahonyothin, and a fifth of the way to Mae Salong. Photo opportunities abound for the sightseers and especially for wedding couples……and saffron-robed monks too as evidenced by one enthusiastic such in the last pic here. A conveniently located nice café nestled on a slope there would be a much welcomed rest retreat after a long shoot. Screenshot CFT.png

to be continued… …Next up: the Golden Triangle and an Opium Museum

1 Like

Did you get her number :wink:

I’ve long past that phase in my life. :relieved: :slightly_smiling_face:

Part 5

The Golden Triangle actually refers to a vast hilly expanse of almost a million square kilometres that encompass the mountains of three countries; namely Myanmar, Laos and Thailand. However, to tourists, it has come to mean a relatively small spot that mark the border tripoint of these three nations, and some small tracts of land in each of them. So for the purpose of this article section, we shall go according to the tourism industry’s appropriation.

Sop Ruak in Chiang Saen district is the name of the “official centre”, on the Thai side of the confluence of the Ruak and Mekong rivers. Right, the same famed 4,350 km long major waterway that flows through and along Qinghai, Tibet & Yunnan in China, Myanmar, Laos, Thailand, Cambodia (also known as Kampuchea) and Vietnam.

When I first visited the area 32 years ago, there was only a few ramshackle eateries and a sprinkling of basic low-cost guesthouses along the river bank. Its now a different world, so to speak, with modern hotels, shops and accoutrements to a thriving tourist industry that was heavily promoted and developed over the decades. Casinos, illegal (at least currently) in Thailand, have sprouted over at the Myanmar and Laos territories just across the river.

A pit stop on our way from Mae Sai to the golden triangle; a coffee hut with vibe of “wild west” Mae Hong Son which is Thailand’s easternmost province, a far away destination I last set foot on 30 years ago. ▼IMG_8231 e..jpg

A view from Sop Ruak at the other two countries in the triangle, with 400mm lens close-up shots of their casino buildings. Red roofed complex is Burmese whilst the golden-domed one sits on Laotian soil. ▼Screenshot GT1

At the spot where 32 years ago I saw a small worn wooden board proclaiming this “official centre of the Golden Triangle”, there is now an elaborate archway with a multitude of statutes in the vicinity. The middle-aged lady climbing the stairs to the big golden Buddha suddenly caught my eye with her horned hairdo. She seemed to be a holy lady of sorts from a hill tribe. After snapping off that hasty shot, I turned away for less than a minute to change to a long lens for close-ups but alas, she was no longer in sight. Photo opportunity gone with the wind. Sigh! I win some, I lose some. ▼ Screenshot GT2.png

Opium Museum. Since the Golden Triangle is notorious for opium, a museum showcasing its history in the region is not out of place. Situated just across the road, a few steps to the south, it should be included as a side trip for visitors to the vicinity. Here, it displays a large array of utensils and peripherals to the drug’s consumption.

Clockwise from top: A wall mural relating the history. Some of the many glassed displays depicting the instruments of addiction. Poppies and flowers. Mockup of a smoker in his environment. The 212 House of Opium Museum. ▼
Screenshot opium museum.png

Now, illicit opium-growing had by & large been eradicated in the Thai third of the triangle due chiefly to the government efforts in persuading – though some would say forcing – the farmers to switch to other crops such as tea, and to a lesser extent, coffee and fruits.

Still, it is believed that some bootleg poppies do exist here and there in small remote areas. To digress a little but still keeping within the subject of illegal opium cultivation, in May 2017, a man was arrested for growing poppies on a half acre of land in his rural home in Charlotte, North Carolina, USA. That’s a little short of a ton’s haul and worth an estimated half a billion US$.

Anyway, I spotted this by the roadside near a village market. Though I don’t believe it is the real McCoy, it sure look somewhat like it. That said, botany is not my forte. Do note that the pod is completely covered with early morning dew .▼
Screenshot pop2.png

to be continued… …Next up: of cats, fishes & simians

1 Like

You should have gone during the monsoon. Those lush green fields would have been so cool.

Been there done that.
All through the 4+ decades, I gone through many provinces of the Land of Smiles. Must have covered every single month in the multiple dozens of times I set foot there.
In recent years though, I’ve cut the frequency to once a year on the average and mainly go as far as Bangkok.
Will be there again for a week from tomorrow.
After that, a longer trip of the whole month of May next year … … to the north, northeast and west of the country.