I’ll have a bitter please...It’s the Everton thread

they should really have saved money those summers by hiring a local tour bus for their winning the transfer window trophy parade rather than getting an open top bus

I think there would be quite a lot of people willing to write off Gylfi as a bad egg etc (someone who can join any other club and then get to be found out as a liability) , but the fact that they were willing to sanction spending money on Dele Alli (his struggles were well known at that point) shows how much money they wanted to blow.

Not to mention idiotic money spent for the likes of Tosun

Nope.

Cheating whether that’s drugs or financial has no sympathy for me

They smelt funny from the moment Usmanov was involved.

2 Likes

One underrated thing that has really killed a source of income for Everton is Liverpool’s improvement in academy recruiting locally. The best players in the area usually go to Liverpool now, that was definitely not always the case. Even someone like Anthony Gordon who came through at Everton started at Liverpool.

Every year Everton would be one of the top youth sides at U18 level in the country but now they’re pretty much gutted of talent. That’s been a hige income stream and a reliable player pool for them that has almost completely dried up.

I really don’t see a single player at U21 or U18 level who could become a PL regular.

3 Likes

That is interesting - when does that date back to? Something must have changed, I doubt it is just LFC attracting the best athletes now. Everton has been the second club in the city for a long time, but produced a lot of talent through much of that era.

They smelt funny before Usmanov got involved, but that is because the filthy bastards refuse to bath :wink:

Everton used to have a much more cohesive youth strategy than Liverpool so even though the first team has been second for a long time, the youth side was - at least - the equal to Liverpool and often a fair bit better. Ultimately the change dates back to Rodolpho Borrell taking over the academy and has been enhanced by Alex Inglethorpe.

The other side of that is a loss of faith in Everton as a club that can train and develop top players, or even function in a logical way. I think a lot of parents will look to get their kids into other clubs at a young age.

3 Likes

There was a fascinating part of the hearing where the panel pointed out dodgy accounting to cover the losses and the response was “I’m an accountant, my job is to do enough dodgy shit to get my client the outcome they need”. That violated the good faith accounting requirement that was added to the regulations on the last update :joy:

3 Likes

Just seen a poll for Everton’s best player this season.

I’d suggest it was the blind independent panel that felt they acted in good faith and were “fully transparent” on their finances.

https://x.com/stehoare/status/1792879793098170645
:upside_down_face:

4 Likes

I guess optimism in the face of all evidence is a necessary part of the Everton condition. If they get a new (good) owner in place, and the stadium is finished on less-than-onerous terms, Everton might be looking at a better era.

On the other hand, they could spend a decade in the bottom quarter of the PL servicing the debt needed to finish the stadium while an owner rakes off dividends…

and Dyche will still not have won anything. I actually pity his situation, because he is a smart enough manager to know the crowd will eventually turn on him.

2 Likes

I actually wasn’t aware it was Slot’s AZ that lost out due to Covid.

Effectively the market is potential…

1 Like

I can’t see him struggling for another job. He’s very effective at managing teams with limited resources.

6 Likes

Oh, definitely. He is one of the better members of that set of guys who can get you out of the Championship or keep you in the PL.

3 Likes

For all the doom and gloom around them this season, Dyche is actually a candidate for MotY. Take away the points deduction and they are comfortably midtable, closer to Chelsea in 6th than Luton in the last relegation place.

4 Likes

Oh definitely. In fact given the drop off after the two points deductions he has had to turn them around three times. It must be very dispiriting for the players when they have ground out points just to see them go for reasons completely out of their control.

Dyche has managed to get them finishing comfortably. That’s far harder to do than having an infinite budget and compliant officials.

2 Likes

I think for a side so maligned they have at least 5 players who will likely attract significant interest this summer. Their midfield 3 is not a great unit, but individually all of Gueye, Onana and Doucoure could be valuable to someone better than them. Pickford and Braithwaite will also both have a good number of suitors should everton need to raise money. If Everton had even a midtable quality goal scorer they would have been probably pushing for one of the European spots without the points deduction.

1 Like

Think the Everton fan was being sarcastic.

It’s difficult to really say with them lot nowadays.

1 Like