Ibrahima KONATE: 2021/22

Interesting that he was picked ahead of Gomez. Did really well there, barely gave them a sniff. Think there were a few occasions where he got dragged a bit wide but the early signs are very promising.

2 Likes

Legend in the making

4 Likes

I think Konate got the nod as he’s very strong in the air, and we were concerned about Ronaldo’s aerial ability. That’s one area of weakness of Joe’s.

4 Likes

Yeah, I would’ve expected Gomez today due to his mobility, pace and more experience in these games. But still, some of Joe’s recent outings weren’t promising and obviously there’s the massive factor about how well they’re training. Well played Konate today, though he was also pretty wild, at times reminded me of Lovren. Got attracted to too much stuff in front of him. But it’s fine, he’s doing the best he can to push for more games in the near future.

Thought United’s early chance came from Konate leaving his position to make an aggressive tackle (which he actually won, but the ball fell to another United player).

After that, I can’t recall noticing him out a foot wrong, which is a huge compliment for a young defender. He has obvious skills along with pace and size - if he can add the positional discipline he showed most of this game he will look like a bargain.

I guess we can say Klopp had a pretty good idea what he was seeing from Konate in practice when he picked him for this game. And Matip probably did need the rest.

Don’t get all analytical. The guy is going to be our anchor for years to come. Accept and enjoy.

4 Likes

Yep totally agree with that assessment

Agreed on that, I’m seeing some wild posts.

I wish people would put some respect on this man’s name. His 2nd PL start, Konate was outstanding, and is only scratching the surface of his limitless potential.

3 Likes

He played really well. But lets not over-react. This is only a mid table club at best he played against, we will see when he plays against really top clubs.

Andy Samberg Smile GIF by HULU

He does that, in training.

1 Like

I didn’t have any concerns when I saw he’d been picked. He’s impressed me every time I’ve seen him and he did again yesterday. The only thing he currently lacks is experience. This must be the best group of CBs we’ve ever had at the club. Even the 5th choice is pretty good.

5 Likes

Only bit that concerned me was when Ronaldo put the ball in the net. That moment was really poor from both TAA and Konate. Otherwise all good in what was probably an easy day at the office.

Purely out of interest did Klopp let on why Matip wasn’t selected for this one?

1 Like

Probably 3 games in 8 days, his last performance (or parts of it), two intense games in a row, the type of opponent and what United posed in their left side channel.

2 Likes

He is a fucking unit, can play a bit also… Fantastic signing, can see him and Joe forming a great partnership over the next few years.

Yeah you can see the raw qualities that made us think “let’s take this one over and continue his development, his ceiling is high”. They probably agreed that the best for him is to work behind the scenes on making him “stronger” (I don’t mean adding muscle), so he can have longer spells staying fit when he starts playing more for us. Plus, of course, he needs to learn how we defend. I think it’s all calm and well at the moment. He seems a nice fella, realizes that there’s serious competition in his position. So far so good.

1 Like

Looks like Fred spent the whole afternoon trying to enter the game without a ticket, but couldn’t get past bouncer Ibou.

:joy:

2 Likes

him shoving bruno out of the way was epic. Made him piss his pants

A bit more training and he can be the better koulibaily and I’m not even kidding there. An absolute beastly specimen.

1 Like

Robo’s face :laughing: Ready to step in if Konate needs him :joy: :joy:

You’re clearly 17 so you’re not coming in.

1 Like