Ibrahima KONATE: 2021/22

He’s slightly taller than VVD, built like a tank, with a serious turn of pace. What is there not to like.
I can see Jürgen trusting him with a lot more starts now.
Joe Gomez could be depending on injuries for games.

Absolutely love that smile. He’s like “Come on, seriously?” That was similar to Kante marking VVD. I hope he faces Sterling soon and tosses him away like VVD did once.

Ibou is Hightower.

Giant, but wouldn’t kill an ant. :joy:

5 Likes

This always makes me smile, it’s as though he’s saying go away small man.

2 Likes

I love how that plonk fred tried to help his mate bruno… only for bruno to fuck off leaving him to deal with ibou alone

1 Like

Again, a bit too wild and attracted to a lot of stuff in front of him. It’s early days for him, it’s not like now he needs to be Virgil’s new partner after that win at OT. Has some qualities, what else can you say other than he’s a work in progress in a team that still has room for improvement defensively.

1 Like

As you say it was fair he got to start again after the Utd game but he’s not ready. Klopp needs to stick with a center back pairing until injuries hit. My view is that’s Van Dijk and Matip.

3 Likes

Still have to be very careful in managing Matip’s minutes though, and I suspect we have earmarked both Atletico and West Ham for him which is why Konate got another go today.

1 Like

To be honest, I wasn’t as enamoured as most about his performance at United. Think the result gave him more credit than he’d have got otherwise. Some poor positional play, sloppy clearances and very bad defending for the goal that was disallowed. Obviously a lot of good stuff too.

So Brighton wasn’t a surprise. He’s a work in progress.

1 Like

Keyboard warrior, try saying that to his face! :wink:

Yeah, exactly how I felt. Some good stuff, but a lot of other wild stuff, too. I didn’t think he necessarily needed to start the next league game. It’s just normal that he’s a work in progress, as the form of some of our other starters and our defending as a whole.

1 Like

Definitely a player with huge potential. I always thought his start v Brighton was so Joel would be fresh for the next level shittery of athletico

Think this was a game he should have started, West Hams style would have fit him well as he’s not easily over powered/out muscled and he’s lightening quick too.

1 Like

Absolutely would have been perfect for this game.

We struggled in the set pieces. Having him in the backline could have made all the difference.

2 Likes

Not to mention Joel had an uncharacteristically bad game!

We are talking in hindsight.

I think his bedding-in isn’t complete. He had a great game (United!) followed by a poor one (Brighton!).

I think we will see him more frequently after the NT break.

2 Likes

Billy Koumetio turned 19 two days ago. According to google he is even taller than Konate.

Looking forward to see our French CB connection together on a picture.

Needs some fine tuning, and that explains why Klopp is using him sparingly. Keep up the good work, kiddo.

1 Like