Ibrahima KONATE: 2022/23

Atrocious since the world cup.

I actually thought he was ok tonight. At least he tried to defend instead of sticking his hand up and hoping for an offside which on at least two occasions we got when they were clearly on.

Are we talking about Konate?

Ibrahima Konate on comparing Virgil van Dijk and Dayot Upamecano: ā€œWhat kind of question is that? You canā€™t compare the two. With Upamecano, we are in the same category even if he is a very high competitor. But Van Dijk, I put him on a different planet.ā€ #lfc [eurosport]

I certainly wouldnā€™t put Upa on the same level as you Ibou :wink:, wonder if it was James Pearce who askedā€¦seems the kind of shit heā€™d ask.

Martin Skrtel knows āŒ„

Martin Skrtel on Ibrahima Konate: ā€œWhen I was playing in Turkey a few years ago, we played against Leipzig and at the time, everyone was talking about this guy [Dayot] Upamecano. I told my friend, ā€˜The other centre-back Leipzig have got is even betterā€™."

2 Likes

Will never be as good as Matip and Joel hasnā€™t been as bad as him this season.

Huh? What do you base that on? Heā€™s just getting started!

As good as Matipā€™s been itā€™s probably just a knee-jerk reaction he doesnā€™t fully believe. Ibouā€™s been a monster in more than enough games to be as good if not better.

1 Like

There is a lot more to good defending than winning your battles though. Ibou rag dolls forwards in the battles he contests. Itā€™s his choice of which to have and how to prevent even needing to contest one that he needs to improve.

Thatā€™s a maturity thing, heā€™s still young. But heā€™s an absolute stud

Virgil does it tooā€¦because the midfield offer no protection in front of them & get taken out the game with 1 pass through the line, so itā€™s either dive in forward or back off until they have a free shot at goal.

He held off a $hitty player today, and expected VVD to come in sweep it up. So he backed into the said $hitty player to hold him off, making it obvious for VVD to come and take it.

VVD just stopped and stared lmao

Anyone who believes that Ibou has the potential to even get close to what Matip has done for us for years does not have a clue about the game.

Not seen anything that suggestest so. Not this season, not last season and not even at Leipzig.

Matip is unique, Ibou has his own strengths

Heā€™s stronger thatā€™s it.

Defending looks a lot easier when youā€™re playing on a team that doesnt require you to have to make a load of decisions throughout the game. Ibou has areas to improve, but we owe it to him to not judge him against the best of Matip until heā€™s playing in a side that makes defending as a CB as straight forward as Matip had the benefit of playing in.

2 Likes

WAY faster and better header of the ball. Matip is definitely better with the ball at his feet.

Did you watch Matip away at Palace this season?

The Matip you are referring to sadly doesnā€™t exist any more. Father Time gets to us all.

Problem is Matip would play 2-3 games and the posts would be bring back Konate.

The whole squad is struggling and the only players who seem to be able to meet their standards are Becker for the most part and Milner who is a 38 year old.

1 Like

Really, that young?

GR is comparing Ibou over the last few games to Matip when he was at his peak (obviously an exceptional player), itā€™s just not fair and clearly lost all recollection when Ibou was beasting through games.

1 Like

No. I just donā€™t rate Ibou that high. Never did. Not seeing the potential for him to be our best or second best CB.

Iā€™m ok with him being our third choice.

I get youā€™re not seeing the potential and I respect your opinion, but there must be something(s) you are seeing to not rate him? Is it something you think can be stamped out his game like his rashness? or is it something you donā€™t feel can be improved?

To constantly say you donā€™t see is easy.

For example I donā€™t see the potential in some players here, but I can elaborate why.

1 Like