Ibrahima Konate (CB) RB Leipzig

I’d be surprised if The Athletic would have been so adamant had they not had pretty concrete information. They aren’t really into transfer tittle-tattle, especially not to this degree.

The thing here is the release clause. Basically, all we need is agreement on Konate’s side and that’s something that goes on behind the scenes with agents often well in advance of an actual deal with the selling club. If we get him on board and are happy with his physical condition then we could move now before anyone else does.

I’m sure we would have preferred it not to come out in the press before we were ready but just as with Upamecano, the deal can be all sewn up now and I think we’ll want to have any new CB in the door on day one of pre-season and this is a good way of ensuring that happens.

4 Likes

Ornstein (of the Athletic), on The Anfield Wrap, said he was confident that his sources had it right, that we were in for him. He said if it didnt happen, he’d hold his hands up and say he was wrong.

I’ve little doubt we’ve made contact and had discussions, which is what has been reported. Whether or not it goes ahead will be down to the numbers and how any meeting with the lad goes.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the club sort a deal out for a CB early - they won’t have missed the disappointment from all quarters that the CB situation ended up where it did, being a big part of the reason we are where we are. A big name, young, and commanding centre back will give the fans (including myself) a big lift - the sooner the better as far as I’m concerned, that is if he is actually who we are after, and not another Edwards smoke screen.

3 Likes

I got round to listening to the Athletic podcast this morning where he discussed this. He seemed pretty confident that this summer was always going to be the one where we went big on a CB. I’m only guessing but it’s possible we took what we could for Lovren when we did but there wasn’t the money available last summer to then do the CB we wanted and we weren’t just going to get a stopgap. Hence Fabinho being the option.

He seemed pretty certain that whilst Kabak was someone on our radar, had it not been for the injuries he probably wouldn’t be on the list for this summer and certainly the deal in January was nothing more than one of convenience rather than part of a longer-term plan. He even suggested we might send him back to Schalke and try and negotiate the fee down once their fate is sealed.

He didn’t rule out Kabak coming even if Konate did come but I think that was more personal opinion rather than anything he knew.

I doubt the club will want to make it official until the season is done. Obviosuly there is the risk that if it isn’t signed and sealed we risk someone else coming in for him so it’s not that straightforward. I’d imagine Davies, Phillips and Kabak could all feel a bit put out if Konate was announced during the season and we don’t want to disrupt the end of the season.

7 Likes

I get the perspective, but Kabak belongs to a soon to be relegated Bundesliga side so is playing for a transfer regardless of whether that is to us or somewhere else. It’s going to hurt him more than us if he mopes about us signing someone else. As for Davies, he’s been so uninvolved that he has almost zero capacity to upset our season.

We have to do what is right for us and expect that self interest and professionalism of the lads currently at the club takes care of them responding properly.

3 Likes

My gut feeling, as I just put in the Philips thread, is that we will go for two CBs - that might be keep Kabak (which I’m fine with if he carries on going the way he is) and then say Konate.

Matip out, Williams out on loan, Davies - fk knows what will happen there.

4 Likes

Davies quadrupled his wages to come here, I highly doubt he’s that worried tbh.

2 Likes

Option to buy is always in reality option to haggle the price once the player is settled and wants to stay. See every transfer an Italian club ever does.

3 Likes

I think it will be Van Dijk, Gomez, Matip, Kabak, Konate and Davies (with Fab and Hendo) next year. As we’ve no idea what state three of our centre backs will be in upon return, I think the club will be OK with that, and then look to slim down the following summer, or possibly January if Van Dijk and Gomez hit the ground running.

2 Likes

Seems about right. Rhys sent out on loan and Nat sold for some decent quids.

Agreed. Athletic is generally a better source… hence I did had to pause.

Again, I believe there is truth to our interest in exploring options but again… I believe this is contingency and to be evaluated.

Prep work and a serious option should we decide to go forward. I.e., the Plan B or Plan A- is ready. Or if there is a good deal, you go forward anyways.

The other option is that one of our recovering CBs is loaned out for game time if they aren’t ready by pre-season. Or it is Davies.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that FSG just found 500 mil or so under the the couch cushions and we are legitimately linked with a promising young CB in the same week.

4 Likes

even putting that aside, he gets 6 months to train with the likes of Salah and Mane running at him.

its a great career opurtunity.

1 Like

I am not going to get into the whole Injury debate because it is very speculative.

I admit I have only watched him 3 or 4 times (champions league this season). He seems to possess great attributes, fast, athletic, strong and seemed confident on the ball - liked to bring it out. Cant recall his switching of play, which is an attribute required of our CB’s but for the reputed price, its a no brainer in my opinion.

Hope we get this lad and Kabak too

Hoping VVD is back to start the season but I think Gomez will struggle to be back and lats face it Matip is a 50/50 proposition at the best of times.

I’d be comfortable with one or both of Matip or Gomez being sold this summer. I think Davies will be sold or loaned Williams sold or loaned. Van Der Burg sold or loaned.

I’d want 5 in a perfect world VVD Konate Kabak Gomez who I’d give one more season and Phillips as the emergency cover to ensure Fabs and Hendo never leave our midfield again.

We’ll get enough in sales to offset most of Kabak’s fee and I think he’s done ok. He and Konate can partner with VVD and build into our future 1st choicee cb pairing once VVD retires

3 Likes

Agree with that quintet, and the sentiment about Fabinho and Henderson being wasted in defence, but is it realistic to expect to find a buyer for Matip? :thinking:

2 Likes

TBH i’d allow him to leave on a free just to make space in the wage bill. Kabak would have to be on less so it would offset the outlay to Schalke somewhat.

That is as long as we already have Konate buttoned up.

Give Gomez who I like a chance to recover and have a crack at getting his spot back. He Konate and Kabak are all still youngsters really so it would be really competitive for the spot next to VVD and then Phillips plays the 4th/5th option to cover injuries and VVD and Gomez’s rehab and return to the 1st team. He is totally fine to rotate in for Cup games early in the season. Thats assuming he doesnt want to play every week at a Mid Table club which he very easily could and wants to go. Even if he can get us through till the mid season window before he goes that would facilitate an easy transition for VVD and Gomez back to full fitness.

Problem is you can’t just release a player who is under contract. Matip has three years left on a deal worth £100k a week basic. So to release him on a “free” would cost us in the region of £15.5m unless someone else was willing to pick up that contract.

6 Likes

Leaving on a free transfer and us paying out his contract are two very different things.

I think we could find him another club. He is a high level player when fit so if a club doesnt have to spend on the fee a player of his ability would normally attract I’d think they would be much more prepared
to take on his wages.

He’s a quality player we just cant rely on his fitness. We are carrying too many injury prone players and he is the worst of the lot. Keita would be next on that list.

1 Like

If we can’t rely on his fitness why would someone else take on a £100k a week contract for a player who won’t have played for six months and likely won’t be fit for the start of the season. Anyone willing to take a punt on him will expect us to take on some of the risk so we’d end up paying some of his wages any way.

We’d also need Joel to agree to any move. Easier said than done.

2 Likes

I still find it hard to grasp the logic.

Matip is good enough to be argued for staying here. If he was fit enough he’d be in the argument for starting. Even with his injury issues it’s been argued back and forth over how important he is and should therefore be staying here. We are one of the top sides in the world.

The argument that there aren’t other teams that would like to be in our situation (that many seem happy we are in and Klopp has been seemingly happy to accept for a few years) is illogical to me. Especially if he is on a few of £10m or less.