Ibrahima Konate (CB) RB Leipzig

…but a worse one

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

One note of caution on the excitement is that quite often recently the player/target we leak to the press isn’t the main target.

Like everyone knew about Lewis but we’d been negotiating for Tsimikas for longer and that was the guy we ended up buying. Think I read somewhere that Jota had been on out radar far longer than Werner or Sarr too.

Konate may be the main target, he may be the target we buy (not always the same) but him being out there publicly, especially with the full knowledge of his release clause, may still be a means to an end.

Worries about his fitness aside he seems a perfect fit and tailor-made for a Klopp CB at a real good, young, age too. But it is still a possible steep price depending on how the market is.

I’ve seen two separate sources talk about lists of 5 targets for CB and both came up with different lists of 5 with only Konate being the same. One list the players would be quite pricey and didn’t fill me with confidence, seemed to just be names that had floated around in the past. The other list had some interesting names on there including Botman and Caleta-Car I think. Both of which would be cheaper than this deal.

I’m just not sure Konate will be the CB or one of the two CBs we will sign.

If he is I’ll just be putting my fingers in my ears and saying “not listening” over and over anytime anyone starts talking about his injury history.

1 Like

Why worse?

Van Dijk + Konata or Matip + Fabinho or Berge is a great squad.

We might become a threat from set pieces again…

Upamecano? He’s lightning quick.

You wrote ‘Berge to replace Gini’, which is a downgrade

Loic Tanzi as a source is good enough for me - I honestly can’t remember him being wrong with his info, at least when it comes to Liverpool or top half PL club.

4 Likes

Yes as a box to box, but I’m expecting Jones to provide that like for like position replacement. And bar the robustness of Gini, Jones isn’t a downgrade. Berge would be a great option for our midfield.

I think some of our fans will only really appreciate Gini when he leaves.

As for Berge, what has he done for SU to suggest he can improve our team?

1 Like

I’d be very careful with the idea of Jones replacing what Gini does for us in the last 3 years. Berge was and still remains somewhat interesting. But I don’t think it’s either the style or level of quality for us. Height is only one part of set pieces which is only one part of the complete game of football.

Sorry for going slightly off topic!

1 Like

I guess to be fair, with all that Gini has achieved with us, nobody can claim to be better than him until they come and do what Gini did with us or even better. Of course on paper, there are many players more talented but talent is one thing, attitude is another. But Gini will leave us sooner or later, just as many players coming to 30 and older, I trust the club to make signings or develop players who will be equally good or even better.

4 Likes

As much as Robbo had shown at Hull or Gini at Newcastle?

Just read there that the player’s agent is Jonathan Barnett. Isn’t he Sterling’s agent too, or he was when Sterling left?

I though Young Master Raheem was with Aidy Ward.

1 Like

He left him after Ward was investigated for dodgy dealings…

2 Likes
2 Likes

Can pretty much do all our shopping through that agency! Konate and Caleta-Car for defence, Ward for back up Keeper, Edouard for a tactical number 9 option for some games and Camavinga for CM! Just add Mbappe if Mane or Salah leave and call it a perfect window!

I’d love Camavinga as a replacement for Gini. Give him a year or two to grow into the team (if he even needs it) and then have him ready to boss the side once the likes of Hendo and Tiago have to take a back seat. Has anything concrete come out about him leaving Rennes?

4 Likes

No, not even close. Remember Gini scoring 4 in one game for Newcastle, and destroying us in another game.
And we weren’t suggesting at the time that either could replace a club legend.

Anyway sorry to take thread off topic. Have we signed a CB yet?

Ibrahima Konaté has undergone an initial medical with Liverpool in Paris ahead of a possible summer move from RB Leipzig. [rmc sport]

1 Like