Interesting Finds on the Net

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

i cant help but think of a swordsman from the 15th century getting a run at him…

…‘the fuck are you doing idiot…here, have this’

a bit like Tuco in the good the bad the ugly

‘if your going to shoot, Shooooot, dont talk’

3 Likes
4 Likes
1 Like

Or unplug the computer?

Looks very digitally animated too me

No wonder things get built quickly in China. Is this kind of machine used elsewhere?

theres alot more to do than just roll that machine out.

cranes install bridge beams all the time elsewhere when the terrain suits

looks like a monster engineering build for a very specific usage when you can build using alternative and existing technology.

might i suggest that machine probably was only financially viable because it was state sponsored and the population go without infrastructure in places needed so the government can whack off with these ‘amazing’ feats of engineering.

not that im at all cynical about this kind of thing…

when i first saw it years ago i was impressed, given time to think on it, its just more state sponsored chest beating where the people dont end up with value for money…

4 Likes

I think this is a fairly common practice now a days. We had many mega projects over last 10-12 years and I seen entire spans of bridges and over-passes hauled-up and installed like that.

1 Like

Yep China produces some of the shoddiest, least engineered crap buildings in the world. Basically anything associated with the CCP (including myriad state ‘enterprises’ is about as trustworthy the financial accounts of Cheaty.

1 Like

Yes, all the time. Nothing unique about this. The technique is known as launching and it has some variations, some of which have been done in the UK.

But note that such a machine is used on viaducts where you can have lots of piers at regular spacing and the deck remains uniform in shape and size. When you’re restricted on the number of piers or the spans vary etc. different ideas are needed.

No it isn’t. It’s a recognised technique for construction of large multi span viaducts where you can have lots of piers at regular centres / spacing. There are some variations on it as well.

The beauty of the technique is that most of the bridge deck is built on the ground, in a factory type set up rather than off scaffolds and falsework way up in the air. Safer and faster.

1 Like

cheers.

will stand corrected.

only if you give me something else to be angry and bitter about though…

1 Like

correct. more than one way to use that methodology as well

30min from my home

1 Like

I think there’s a bridge on the A465 due to be built or has recently been built using the method too. I saw the prelim design for it and it needed to be launched due to overhead cables preventing any lifting. Cable diversion not an option.

Pretty sure it was considered for the new Medway crossing on the M2, but the approach viaducts were probably too short for it. Plus it probably too heavy and had twin decks, so we built it in a more traditional method. Biggest scaffold in Europe at the time. Crikey just realised that was 20 years ago.

1 Like
1 Like
3 Likes

Cool video - can you tell me whether the old bridge is still used? There was no traffic obvious on the video.

1 Like

the old bridge was taken down and cut up for recycling after the new bridge was fully open.

2 Likes

Love this story!

3 Likes