James MILNER: 2020/21

He’s so badly understood, both as a player and character.

Maybe he’s slow and doesn’t have great ball manipulation, but tell you what he’s a better passer than Gini.

Played so smartly tonight, tried his best to copy some of Trent’s passing from deep areas. Not go too high to get exposed.

Though a few times he was left alone defensively, we had to take better care of that.

9 Likes

James ‘Zanetti’ Milner

I used to hold McAllister as the greatest veteran we brought to the club…Hmm, some questions.

4 Likes

Thing is, I was thinking what did we miss against Villa that we had tonight and it’s a player like Milner, after Henderson he would be my vice captain in this club.

You need a guy like that, I think he was always going play tonight due to Hendo missing.

2 Likes

At least we know we’re fine if Ali goes down.

2 Likes

They named a door after him. Such a perfect Milner-esque thing to do. :joy:

1 Like

Not just any door, washroom door :joy:

1 Like

We are lucky to have him. I rather have him then some pompous world class players out there.

1 Like

What a performance from Milner tonight, he was brilliant. We should’ve signed him earlier in his career in hindsight. I think he’s now reached cult status in the eyes of Liverpool fans and should qualify for a statue outside Anfield, when he eventually retires. His contribution to this team is immense, on and off the pitch.

4 Likes

Well he is vice-captain, isn’t he?

1 Like

Not just any washroom either… leads to the urinals…! :upside_down_face:

Must be all the tea and Ribena he drinks… his second home.! :rofl:

1 Like

Agree he was excellent at RB. I’m not sure if we could have signed him earlier - his stint at man city surely helped him realise why he wanted to win stuff at a proper club - doubt he’d have signed for us before that. Plus it gave him winning experience, improved him technically and also meant he didn’t come here expecting to play 38 league games a season in central midfield.

Cult status yes. Statue no way. This is Liverpool mate - only Paisley and Shanks have one at the moment and think the next is likely to be Kenny (hopefully either while he is alive or not for a very long time). I could imagine some parallel universe future where TAA plays at the top for another 15 years while we continue to dominate and he ends up with a medal haul as player and a medal haul as captain that is out of this world and gets a statue - well after he retires. Given that Jurgen has said he doesn’t want a statue while he’s alive, and he wants to live for another 40 years, cant see anyone else from the current group getting in before that.

Yep, a massive presence for the team - especially as a role model for the young guys who have come up. He demonstrates that competitive professionalism that is essential for a winning team plus he’s clearly a very diligent trainer who plays for the team without a massive ego - all qualities that we want any new players to emulate.

3 Likes

Yeah but there has been a clamour to give it to VVD in recent years.

1 Like

Doctor Millie.

Six and double six positions aside, give him any position you want. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

@Zoran He’s specializing in his old age, focusing now on only the core 7 roles.

2 Likes

One of my great regrets (how dramatic) is that we never made use of Milner as a rotation LW option. Think he would have been sneaky good there.

2 Likes

He might have been in goal at this rate.

2 Likes

I doubt he has ever had the pace to play forward for a Klopp team (as a starter).

2 Likes

Are you sure that Bobby is (much) faster than Milner?

2 Likes

Have you seen Bobby play out wide for us? He is too slow. It’s all about acceleration, Salah/Mane have the ability to go from zero to 100 in a blink of an eye, thats so key for playing there.

Sorry I should have been specific - Wide Forward.

3 Likes

Agree.

Am sure Milner was used one or twice out wide early under Klopp.

Serious question
Who played LW for uns when we signed Mané who played RW in his first season here.

1 Like