James MILNER: 2021/22

Thiago?
I wouldn’t do that, I’d repeat start Thiago bring Millie on later.

Love Milner but feel his days as a starting option are limited and maybe should be focusing more as that driven, passionate individual you bring on to see you over the line in a slobberknocker of a match. So Everton maybe unless we break their spirits reasonably early with multiple goals. Fabinho and Thiago should be starting together as often as possible, particularly whenever possible in the big games. Ideally you want a more attacking/creative option then as the 3rd CM. Hoping Elliott is back soon, see him as a special talent who can cement himself as the go-to starter in that 3rd role despite his age.

Nah,

Start Millie to kick the shit outta them, then bring on Thiago once they know if they touch him what to expect from Milner

Could just start Nat in that case. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Sadly he doesn’t have that snarl and deathstare.

Milner is the sort that would kick you, then question why you would allow his Rich Tea biscuit to drop into his cuppa

Contract up in the summer. Next month teams can approach him for a free transfer wonder will he sign a new extended deal?

Only teams from abroad. Domestic teams “officially” have to wait till end of the season (like they don’t constantly talk regardless) unless we give permission. Doubt Milner goes abroad.

3 Likes

Milner now with 573 premier league appearances the 4 th most in all time pl history. :clap:

5 Likes

4 Likes

Top left is one of my favourite Torres goals (last minute winner).

:slight_smile:

Gerrard doesn’t look thrilled. Doesn’t have the warmth and charisma of Jurgen.

I’m a big fan of Milner, but yesterday we needed him badly. Everyone is entitled to have a bad game here and there, I understand.

1 Like

Isn’t his contract up this summer ? I wonder if he will get a new deal.

Don’t think he’ll get another deal. This is his last season with us, as a player at least.

1 Like

Thought he was just about our best midfielder of the 3 today, especially in the first half. Though that wasn’t of a high level either, but at least he was winning challenges and not hiding. Of course that with time, he will also slow down more. What he’s done and still doing more often than not is brilliant, absolute respect to him.

1 Like

Jeez, shows how people look at things differently. I think he was poor, and has been poor recently. No composure on the ball and aimless passing, from not just him to he fair, meant we had no game management at all going into the last 5 minutes. Was also a completely brainless challenge for that free kick, he was late as usual and the ball was covered. To go in like that just invites pressure onto the team. It’s stupid.

He’s fit as a fiddle but he’s slowed down immensely as well meaning we have to accommodate that lack of zip in our passing and defensive shape. He was late to the tackle or press a few times yeaterday as well as late to passes that he should be getting on the end of. Him and Henderson together against Kante and Kovacic is a no contest.

4 Likes

James Milner plays a Premier League game for the 21st consecutive calendar year. :clap:t6:

4 Likes

Can a side manage six shots on target out of ten shots without a midfield? Wildly hyperbolic. Milner was especially good in the first thirty minutes. I loved that play when he outran Kante to a ball. Around the half hour mark Kante kicked into gear and then everyone else in the middle of the park looked poor. Sure, in a very open match like that no midfield will look as sound. I’m sure Chelsea supporters were bemoaning how we blasted through theirs on all those counters in the first hour.

2 Likes

It says a lot about Klopp’s faith in his midfield options when Milner gets to start a game like that. For me he should be the wise old head who comes off the bench and helps to manage games out. He shouldn’t be starting. He wasn’t that bad yesterday. Like everyone else in the first half he gave the ball away too cheaply but made some good challenges. Fucked up on the free kick that led to their goal but hard to blame him for Kovacic toe-poking one in from 30 yards. Total fluke.

2 Likes