Joe GOMEZ: 2020/21

He was out for more than like 3 months if I am not wrong. He had to undergo some surgery and that’s when Matip stepped up with ease with Van Dyk… I remember we were worried when Gomez got injured as the partnership was great and we were keeping consecutive clean sheets for many games in row… (dont remember the exact number) he then came back and was eased into the team last season and wasn’t the same since then.

Watching it on MOTD2 and so many goals unlucky. 1st goal Adrian fuck up. 2nd goal Trent fuck up. 3rd (or was it 4th) Gomez at fault. Virgil not at it. Joe’s clearly not playing fit, btw. No way he gets beaten for pace otherwise.

For the team, that should have brought about an adjustment to our high line which can only be played if Gomez and Virgil are fit and so can’t be beaten for pace. That’s clearly not the case at the moment.

2 Likes

3rd was the deflected shot from the corner
4th was the free kick where the guy got around around the back then squared it back across goal.

Gomez let the guy run off the back for the 4th, but that’s because he was holding the line that someone in the middle broke (and then failed to defend the ball back across at all).

Which one was it where Joe gave the ball away with a poor pass?

5th I think.

1 Like

Ah, OK. That one then! I found it hard to keep up!

1 Like

Definitely the fifth, cos I was writing g a post telling everyone to lay off him at the time.

1 Like

I don’t think he was out that long. He didn’t get straight back in as Matip was doing really well.

Anyway, Transfermarkt has no record of this injury so I’m stuck.

Just managed to get it…he had missed 23 games in that period… He has never been the same since… Flashes of his previous self but not the same Gomez before. May be because of some personal issues I don’t know. But it definitely coincided with injury. We were all happy as our CB pairing was sorted for years before the injury stuck.

Ankle Surgery Dec 5, 2018 Apr 5, 2019 121 days 23

Was that from the Ben Mee challenge? Did it break his ankle?

He hasn’t been properly fit for a large part of the period that followed but an 80% Gomez is better than any % Lovren and Matip can’t stand up without tweaking something. Definitely feel we need another CB.

Been saying this for a while, even when he was on song, par example the start of 18/19 season, periods of last season, certainly that first/middle part. You could always see he’s far from a complete CB. People get carried away easily over CB’s if they have pace and are comfortable in possession. I value that highly, but with Gomez some defensive weaknesses are always there to be seen. To me, it was always Virgil & whoever is the one who is the best in terms of style/form/physical condition. All 3 had their good periods (Lovren the least as time went on), but Gomez always had time on his side being the youngest one, or bang in the middle of 3 senior CB’s and a massive hole going back towards a vdBerg.

1 Like

Joe needs a bit of work on his defensive positioning when someone has squared him up and is running at him, he needs to show them one way and then he will be able to use his pace to jockey him away from danger, at the moment he allows them to chop back or gets beat as he tries to sort out his feet. Another area that he needs help is his positioning from crosses.

With regards to the space behind and between him and Trent, that is what our coaches are coaching them, Trent pushes up and Joe has to cover. If the ball is played from deep in the oppositions half, the timing of the ball travel allows Joe to use his pace to cover, however, as with today their penetrating passes, as Carragher has also said, were being played from the middle third with no pressure on the ball, therefore allowing no time to recover for Joe, Virgil or whoever, from a well timed run. This high line needs to move deeper in transition to allow a reaction from our defence, for me it is too easy for opposition to get at us, especially today as our pressing was abysmal.

1 Like

Was that the Trent I saw struggling to cover 3 opposition players all by himself?

It didn’t though I think it might have helped Gomez’ confidence that looked completely shot.

Our defense isn’t right at the moment. Trent has to come in closer to Gomez to pick up the runner behind Gomez’ back. Also our midfield need to pick up those deep runs. Our midfield was useless defensively against AV.
Both Gomez’ and Trent were poor but they might have done better with some help.
The way our midfield press is awful as well. They just run straight at the player in posession without wondering if they are cutting off a passing lane to another opposition player or not. This means more often than not the opposition player in possession has an easy pass option. To confound this noone is moving to cover the player pressing up field.The end product is acres of space for the opposition leaving the defense exposed.
There’s a lot of work to do, yet some matches it just ticks like clockwork, funny.

Yes Trent should be there but it is how high our line is in relation to the ball that is perplexing and obviously something that is being coached

Not really except when the offside trap has been beaten. We caught Arsenal almost all the time AV were just better at beating it mainly beacause there midfeilders managed to find acres of space on the ball due to our haphazard pressing. If we had managed to press them better they wouldn’t have found it so easy.
It’s a whole system and even if we demand perfection (and we should) it’s not as simple as that.
Anyway on to the next one, all I’m wondering is if Klopp regrets not bringing in another seasoned CB this window?

May I say that you don’t concede seven fucking goals due to the mistakes of a single player. It happens only when the entire system fails.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Gomez continues to amaze me but not in a good way.
He’s either excellent or utter garbage. Once he starts a game poor he gets worse.

Shame Matip is made of fresh air as he starts when fit for me. Gomez is sloppy and can’t concentrate for 90 mins and hopes his pace will get him out of trouble when sloppy.