Joe GOMEZ: 2021/22

I just think the leap might be too big. Going from having the game in front of you to needing 360 vision, reduced time on the ball, and generally the on-ball demands in that position for an elite team. Especially receiving/turning under some pressure, I think maybe it’s underrated how difficult that part actually is. For a centre back to learn to play like that…I don’t know, I could be wrong but it just seems like a stretch to me.

2 Likes

Agree with your estimation, the receiving and turning and being aware is far higher playing as a midfielder even DM than playing at the back.

Very rare that you see a CB transition into a DM but happens more frequent the other way round

1 Like

randy orton wwe GIF

1 Like

Did well in his unconventional place at RB. :clap:

1 Like

It was his best performance at RB, his previous few he has worried me, can’t cross that well but defensively he was assured and was up and down, competent cover especially in games against the none Cities of this league. I’d be ok with him starting Benfica and Watford if needed.

2 Likes

You felt that he didn’t try something he’s not good that and I’m happy enough with that. Manage the best you can, if you’re not a crosser, then don’t force it every time. Try and turn, use your body, pass, pick someone out, shoot if you can (he did a few times). Not easy to play the position when you’re in no rhythm. But he’s one of the options right now, along with Millie.

1 Like

Didn’t say that.

2 Likes

I prefer him to Milner if only for his recovery pace. He did fine, but I could do without the shooting.

1 Like

I know. :joy:

1 Like

I don’t really like Joe at RB, but at this point he probably just needs the games.

I surprised we’ve never seen Kostas asked to cover at right back. He is pretty good with his right foot, and I think he could do a decent job there.

No Way Do Not Want GIF by Schitt's Creek

1 Like

I take back what I said.

Joe, you can cross, so do it. :joy:

He has some nice moments out there, but you can also see that countered by other moments where his relatively lack of quality on the ball compared to trent and the lads on the other side were evident. Full backs are often good getting up and down the wing, but not particularly good on the ball - you want them running aggressively into space, not having the ball at their feet in the build up a move. One of our reasons for success is because Trent and Robbo are both very good footballers and so contribute to that overall build up not just because they are dangerous from crossing positions. You saw areas today where Gomez struggled there.

Not a huge deal, something that can be accommodated, but is a reality I think.

We need to cut him some slack. He’s the only CB we’ve got who can play at RB and he did a good job today. I’m sure Matip, Konate and Virgil would struggle there. I don’t like the noise about him potentially leaving this summer. I think that would be a big mistake.

7 Likes

Has done a good job there last couple of games, we just got to remember he is not Trent. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

He has looked decent, his biggest issue today was sloppy passing but he was far from alone in that. Some of his crossing was top notch and he of course was vital for the goal.

And it’s good to hear Jota saying post game that he told Gomez he was going get an assist, really good to hear the players motivating each other.

1 Like

Back friends it seems.

1 Like

Joe captained us against Norwich and Preston :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

What a performance, might not have the passing or crossing of Trent but everything else. Nothing wrong with that either, loved his cut backs all game. Must be a nightmare to play as defensively he’s immense on the floor or in the air outwide.

2 Likes

I think Joe has been studying Trent’s game and now he’s playing a similar way. :clap: