D.O.B.: 23.05.1997.
Height: 1.88m
Weight: 77kg
Town of Birth: Catford
Country of Birth: England
Nationality: English

1 Like

Virgil van Dijk on Joe Gomez’s contract extension:

“We spoke about it before he signed the deal and I’m just very happy that he’s staying at the club, staying with me. Also I’m happy for the club that he’s signed.”

"He is, in my opinion, [one of] if not the best English centre-back around. Obviously we’ve both been very unlucky with the injuries we had. Obviously his time will come again and hopefully this season he can show that.”

4 Likes

Now he needs to wear a Joe Gomez T-shirt…

5 Likes
4 Likes

No.2’s been vacant for a while. Previous wearers are Dossena, Johnson, and Clyne.

Centre back with #2 ;(

Whilst the worlds best full back has 66 :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Wonder why he went for number two so suddenly. Has been free for years. Wonder why now he’s changing it. Then again maybe superstition with getting injuries with number 12 and wants a fresh start

I know, it’s not optimal in my head either :smile:

Stephane Henchoz, Roberto Ayala…I think both were #2. Can’t think of anyone else.

1 Like

And Fabinho with #3. :-1:

1 Like

Yeah shocker from him. Lucky he’s fantastic.

He played at RB more than CB last season…

I doubt Trent’s ever going to change from 66. Only thing that might do that is if he started to play more as a traditional midfielder and the no.7 or 8 was available. Maybe then. But otherwise the 66 is just too symbolic.

1 Like

Good change, I don’t like outfield players wearing 12.

:slight_smile:

Just when I thought that he was starting to show some semblance of form, he drops a tribute to Lovren’s Tottenham performance. Aside from that game, I can’t remember an individual performance from a Liverpool player that was that bad. Even Karius had an excuse - Gomez does not. Lovren had that uncanny ability to let his drop after making his first mistake and you knew that he would go on to have a nightmare - that was precisely what Gomez did after Osimhen embarrassed him for that chance Napoli somehow missed. Beat for pace, strength, poorly positioned throughout the night, constantly letting players in behind (though this one was more of a tactical issue) - astoundingly bad. Konate can’t come back quickly enough.

Gomez’ performances against Chelsea (5-3), City (4-0) and Villa (7-2) might give it a run for its money.

For a player who is so quick he is really ill-suited to playing with such a high line, his decision making of when to drop off and when to step up is really, really bad. He gets it wrong more often than he gets it right. 1v1 he’s bang average too.

He looks alright as a backup right back, and he’s a better option than Nat Phillips at centre back, but I can’t believe anyone still thinks he’s a better player than Matip. 2018 was a long time ago, he isn’t playing at that level anymore.

4 Likes

And he’s one of those that signed a new contract recently so another liability that we are stuck with.

Yeah the whole team is a liability…